Processor advice

silversailor wrote on 1/30/2010, 6:42 AM
I'm running SVMS9 on an old P4 box, but having just acquired a Panasonic SD9 camcorder, of course have run into the well documented speed problems. So it's time for a new computer - a quad core, the current runners are either Q8300 or i5 ( both with 6Gb RAM) - but i5 doesn't do hyperthreading. Question then is which of these 2 systems is better for smooth previews & fast renders? Any advice will be much appreciated!
PS the old P4 box renders a 'full strength' AVCHD 1 minute clip in about 25 minutes. What render times might I expect from the new system?
Thanks in advance

Comments

OhMyGosh wrote on 1/30/2010, 7:04 AM
I'm waiting on a new computer as well, but going to wait a bit longer. The forthcoming Intel i9 processor will run circles around anything currently out there. Take a look at the early benchmark tests, and you will see that there isn't anything close. The release date isn't clear, and I'm sure it will be way pricey at first, but I'm going to try and hold out until it is released and see. Cin
eightyeightkeys wrote on 1/30/2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, I'm in the same boat as well.

Lurking and waiting for the dust to settle on a number of issues....i7 vs i9, Windows 7 (plug-in compatibility and application support)...My "real job" is as a composer, recording studio owner, so, my computer must absolutely work and perform rock solid stable in this situation.

Too bad Sony Forums doesn't have a "Computer Hardware" section ? I think it would be good to have Sony tech "approved" systems and components along with user input/feedback/dialog.
Osotosail wrote on 1/31/2010, 11:32 AM
What DAW software do you use? I know that the Cakewalk forum has lots of posts by people who understand the hardware issues very well. Certainly, DAW and Video software may pose very different burdens on the hardware. But afaik, Sonar and Vegas are both multi-threaded.

Hadn't even heard of the i9 ... guess I'm out of the loop
eightyeightkeys wrote on 1/31/2010, 3:24 PM
I'm using Cubase 5.

Cubase itself wouldn't be the issue with W7 or the i7/i9. It's the plug-ins and VST instruments that are currently playing catch-up.

As a composer using numerous VST Instruments that place a tremendous load on the CPU as well as the current limitations on RAM, there's little point in going forward with such as huge move until all essentials are 64 bit ready.

I'm trying to weigh out price versus performance. i7 vs i9 ? How much RAM can I afford ? Can I afford at least 1 SSD of a decent size ? Will my 10 year old SATA drives form my old computer be sufficient in the new machine or is it pointless to salvage old, outdated, and possibly slower drives ?

If I were a rich man....ya da da da didee didee didee dum....

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?recordid=106