Recording for clients, making DVDs and Blu Rays. 24p, 30p, 60i or 60p?

Teagan wrote on 2/5/2018, 12:54 PM

The last event I recorded for a client I chose 1920x1080 24Mb/s 60i because I was doing only DVDs but I also gave them one 60i blu ray as they were very very interested in blu rays as nobody else ever offered them blu rays.

Now my question is that now I will be probably mainly doing blu rays, which frame rate should I record in? 24p sounds the most logical but how would that have DVDs turn out? Would 30p be best for both? Or is 60p the best choice for both?

I'm looking to have the best quality in both blu ray and dvd. I know the basics about formatting the video and audio separately for blu ray and dvd, so I'm not new to that, but I am questioning which frame rate is best for what I need.

Also, on my Sony AX53 I have the option for AVCHD (which I used last time) or XAVC S, which allows me to have 50Mb/s (in 1920x1080) instead of 24Mb/s max with AVCHD. Sony Vegas 14 supports Sony's XAVC S codec and would that be wise to record in?

Comments

Former user wrote on 2/5/2018, 2:45 PM

Nothing wrong with making DVDs and Blurays at 60i. The quality will be fine.

Teagan wrote on 2/5/2018, 3:01 PM

Nothing wrong with making DVDs and Blurays at 60i. The quality will be fine.

Would there be any complications if I shoot at 24p and make DVDs out of that source? Assuming I encode to 60i in vegas movie studio 14?

Former user wrote on 2/5/2018, 4:05 PM

DVD will support 24P if you set the correct flags. It will play out at 60i (converted by the DVD player) unless you have a DVD that supports progressive out. But why do you want less FPS, I would prefer more than even 60 if it was readily available. I don't like going to the lowest common denominator.

Teagan wrote on 2/5/2018, 4:20 PM

DVD will support 24P if you set the correct flags. It will play out at 60i (converted by the DVD player) unless you have a DVD that supports progressive out. But why do you want less FPS, I would prefer more than even 60 if it was readily available. I don't like going to the lowest common denominator.

60p XAVC-S at 50Mb/s it is, then!