Red stripe on audio track

Kim Nance wrote on 8/22/2011, 10:11 PM
Has anybody seen this before? I am getting a strange vertical red stripe on the far left of the audio track header. I don't recall seeing this before in version 9, but I could be mistaken. Any clues? Is this a feature? Tried skimming through version 10 manual and online help, but couldn't find any mention.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39051692/Red%20Stripe.JPG

Create a new project, add audio track, no red line. Save project, reopen, red line appears.

It doesn't appear to be causing any problems, but I'm curious!

Regards

Kim Nance
Armadillo Post

Comments

reberclark wrote on 8/22/2011, 10:45 PM
I believe that indicates that the track ends on an unquantized frame.

EDIT: Oops. The stripe is on the left on the header? My mistake. Sorry 'bout that. The external control advice seems right.
Allegretto wrote on 8/22/2011, 11:30 PM
You must have accidentally enabled external control. Select External Control in the Options menu to turn it back off.
Grazie wrote on 8/22/2011, 11:35 PM
I've never ever seen this, or even HEARD of it before now!!

Thanks guys.

Grazie

Allegretto wrote on 8/22/2011, 11:50 PM
This is to support special hardware devices that have knobs, faders, and buttons to control the UI during editing, called control surfaces. These devices are primarily used by professional audio editors.
Kim Nance wrote on 8/23/2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks SonyTW

You are indeed on the right path. Toggling Options - External Control on then off again fixes the problem - but why would the red show up if I had External Control off when the track is added then saved?

I do indeed have an external device (Tascam FW-1082, very nice mixer) but it is not currently connected. In fact I haven't used it since upgrading from VP9 to 10.

Very strange. More investigation required.

Regards

Kim Nance
Armadillo Post
pwppch wrote on 8/23/2011, 12:39 AM
The color strip is to indicate which channel is currently under external device control. There are simple devices tht do not have a display, so there is this stripe is to tel you which track or bus is under the control of the device.

That it shows when no external control device is active, indicates a bug. Please submit a issue with our support.

Peter
Kim Nance wrote on 8/23/2011, 1:33 AM
Thanks SonyPCH, will do.

Regards
Kim Nance