Removing fan noise?

RealityStudio wrote on 9/20/2019, 5:01 PM

Hey all, is there any plugin for Vegas Pro 17 to remove fan noise? I bought iZotope RX Elements because many recommended that but it didn't work at all for me. It's auto detection of noise did little, and it's other stuff like click and hum removal just don't apply here.

One thing I know that works perfectly is the "Noise suppression" audio filter on OBS. For those that stream on Twitch, OBS is free streaming software and it comes with many free filters, one of which is "Noise Suppression" and that works perfectly for removing all manner of fan noise. When we stream we have an air condition right next to us along with a fan sometimes and it totally removes it in realtime from our live audio. Is there anything like that available as a plugin for Vegas 17, ideally something that acts as a true plugin so I can modify my Vegas scripts to automatically add it to me audio tracks?

Comments

Former user wrote on 9/20/2019, 5:07 PM

@RealityStudio There was a similar topic here ... https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/how-to-delete-background-pc-ups-fans-from-a-voice-track--117030/#ca729365

In my case, camcorder zoom noise, I eventually went for Sound Forge Audio Cleaning Lab. It’s ideal for me because audio is not my strong suit and anything more sophisticated would be wasted on me.

For the money its great value, I got it at an upgrade price.

Vincent-Mesman wrote on 9/21/2019, 3:58 AM

I've been using ReaFIR from Reaper as a 32/64 bit VST plugin in the past, with Vegas Pro 14.
https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

It's free and it works.

It's also easy to reduce its influence when noise is in speech frequency range but this will make the noise more audible so you might want to consider a noise gate and/or background music.

There are more free FFT based dynamics processors available as a VST plugin.

rraud wrote on 9/21/2019, 10:11 AM

iZotope RX Elements should attenuate din type noise to an acceptable level (within reason if it is excessive) and capturing a 'noise print' manually works better than the default auto detection. In addition, multiple passes with lower dB reduction parameters and a fresh noise print on each pass works even better and can minimize artifacts.

I find it hard to believe a screen recording and streaming app is better at attenuating BG noise than a purpose build NR plug-in. I have yet to find any NR hardware or software the works "perfectly". Even the highly regarded 'iZotope RX Advanced' ain't "perfect".

frankp wrote on 9/21/2019, 10:32 AM

Try Brusfri by Klevgrand

https://klevgrand.se/products/brusfri

Magix Vegas Pro 17 Edit

CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Designare

RAM: Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB

Capture Card: Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K

PSU: Corsair RMx Series 850W

Boot Drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 2TB

Data Drives: Toshiba X300 5TB 7200 RPM (x4)

RAID: G-Technology G-RAID with Thunderbolt 3 and Blackjet VX-2SSD USB 3.1 10Gbps USB Type-C

Case: iStarUSA D400 Black

Monitors: Viewsonic VP2785-4K, VP2468 IPS Panels

Camera: Sony a6600 APS-C, Sony ZV-1

RealityStudio wrote on 9/21/2019, 11:09 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try your suggestions. I'm surprised as well that iZotope couldn't do it and the free OBS software can, but we live stream often and the OBS noise suppressor really does work even with multiple fans going, and it does it in realtime.

Former user wrote on 9/21/2019, 11:48 AM

I wonder, since you are listening to the sound in the same room that the fans are generating the sound you are recording, how clean is it really getting?