Removing Hiss with Sony Vegas Pro

Guyper wrote on 2/12/2016, 12:42 PM
I had the background noise removed with the "ExpressFX Audio Restoration", but then it also altered the voice and audio quality making it sound like it was recorded in a sewer. Any better suggestions?

I did some research and someone suggested "Sony Noise Reduction". Can it perform a better result? Is it a software of its own, or a plugin for Sony Vegas?

Thanks

Comments

JackW wrote on 2/12/2016, 1:11 PM
I have found the key to successful noise reduction is sample size: very small is best.
Sony Noise Reduction software does a very good job in most cases. I'm not at my editing computer at the moment, but I believe Noise Reduction is a Sony plug-in.

Jack
rs170a wrote on 2/12/2016, 1:57 PM
Sony Noise Reduction is a standalone product but it's $280.00.
Sony Noise Reduction
Folks that buy Sound Forge (another Sony product) now have it thrown in free of charge.

Mike
JohnnyRoy wrote on 2/13/2016, 12:35 PM
Take a look at SoundSoap. It's easy to use, does a great job, and isn't very expensive. It plugs into Vegas Pro as a VST effect.

~jr
Richard Jones wrote on 2/14/2016, 4:26 AM
You might also try Audacity (free). Bill Myers has a brief instructional video on his site.

Richard
CJB wrote on 2/14/2016, 11:02 PM
Background noise reduction is not an easy problem. that is why sound folks go to great extent to eliminate noise in the environment that filming occurs in. Most if not all "noise reduction" software will leave artifacts because you are removing frequency content of all signals.. These artifacts' observability is proportional to the amount of reduction you do. Artful noise reduction is a little bit of this and a very little bit of that. There is some hope with more surgical methods like spectral manipulation (SpectraLayers), but that takes a high degree of skill and time in any case. If you find the plug that eliminates noise without reducing audio quality of the desired signal.... let me know. There are some good vids on the web that cover doing artful noise reduction using standard tools that most DAWs have including Vegas Pro.

my $0.02

c