Removing Tape Hiss

arizonagolf wrote on 9/17/2006, 12:18 PM
Guess I am probably lucky but I have never had a problem with hiss before. I used Sony Premium Color tape for a commercial venture I am doing and the hiss is terrible. Can this be removed using the sound editing features in Vegas 6d? If someone could give me a somewhat detailed description of what I need to do I would REALLY appreciate it.
Thanks

Comments

rraud wrote on 9/17/2006, 2:30 PM
You can try EQing some of the high-end out but that will affect everything in those frquencies. The optional Noise Reduction-2 pug in would be the tool to use... Try the demo.
V

There are also other third party vendors for Noise Reduction plugs such as Sound Soap.
Geoff_Wood wrote on 9/17/2006, 6:43 PM
I doubt that this is tape hiss. More likely low level input being cranked up by ALC. Still, Noise Rdeduction type plugins should be able to reduce. You take a sample of the hiss, and (simplistically exoplained maybe) the NR plug substracts this signal from the overall content.

geoff
arizonagolf wrote on 9/18/2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! Have you personally used this? Guess I am a little dense but I downloaded the demo and still was not sure how to use it. :( Sorry, I am not a newbie to computers at all but this sure threw me. :)
rraud wrote on 9/18/2006, 11:55 AM
I use NR-2 all the time in Sound Forge. It is important to get a good "Noise print".
Using with SF: ( using with Vegas may vary slighly. )

-Find and highlight a few miliseconds of the just the noise you want to remove,
- Open NR plugin
- Select "Noiseprint" tab
- Click "Capture noiseprint" check box,
- Select Preview to obtain print the select stop.
- Go back to the "General" tab and adjust the parameters to attenuate the noise with as few artifacts as possable.

In Sound Forge:
- Right-click lower right portion of NR window (above Selection tab) and "Select all Data".and click OK to process the entire file..

PS- I think the demo version may put beeps in or has a 15 or 30 day limit..
arizonagolf wrote on 9/28/2006, 4:14 PM
Thanks for the tips. I did purchase the Noise Reduction software and have had a chance to experiment some. What I don't quite understand is after capturing the noise print and pulling the boxes down--How far down and how many. To many seems to leave a "hollow" sound.

I do appreciate your time in helping me.

Denny