Render crashes?

Marc S wrote on 3/10/2015, 12:16 PM
I'm having lots of render crashes in the latest version of Vegas. If I try to "render as" I get an exception error. If I try to render to a new track it hard crashes Vegas. If I restart windows I can usually render successfully as least for a while. Any idea what could be causing this? I'm using the Nvidea 570 with the stable 296.10 drivers.

I would ask Sony but I don't have a month to wait for a canned response. I've done a Vegas re-install and I'm now contemplating a system re-install however I don't really have the down time. The only thing I can think of that has changed recently is updates to net framework.

Also Premiere never crashes my system and I use it more than Vegas.

Thanks, Marc

Comments

OldSmoke wrote on 3/10/2015, 2:39 PM
Does this happen with any kind of source footage codec?

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

johnmeyer wrote on 3/10/2015, 4:53 PM
Oldsmoke's question is very important: if you have something which requires Quicktime, for instance, that could be causing the problem.

To reduce the problem, try dragging just one clip from the shoot to a new, fresh timeline. Then, without doing anything, try rendering that clip, using the exact same codec and template that you used for the renders that are crashing. If that doesn't crash, then we know it is not a problem with the source footage or the render codec, and we can instead focus on fX, compositing, etc.

I would also suggest that if you have the GPU enabled, that you try to render with it disabled.
Marc S wrote on 3/10/2015, 5:53 PM
Seems to happen on a variety of projects but I do have a mix of 4k (from an AX100), EX1, HDV and .pngs in the current one.

GPU rendering is always off otherwise Vegas goes very unstable on me.

Note: I can always fix the crash problem temporarily by restarting the system.
OldSmoke wrote on 3/10/2015, 6:59 PM
Maybe the PNGs are giving some troubles?

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Marc S wrote on 3/11/2015, 9:03 AM
I've never had problems with pngs in the past. They were always the preferred graphics format in Vegas. Also it seems weird that a restart temporarily solves the issue. It seems another program being opened during editing could be causing an issue. Anyone have a link to the previous Vegas 13 build? I never recall having render crashes until the latest version.
redpaw wrote on 3/11/2015, 9:19 AM
there you go:
vegas b373

what format are the 4k files (and how many files do you have in the project)?
dxdy wrote on 3/11/2015, 9:22 AM
Have you had any operating system updates lately? Sometimes Windows Update (and others) make changes that indirectly affect Vegas. Video drivers and Quicktime updates are notoriously hazardous to Vegas' health.

What are your input video formats? The free Mediainfo program is a good place to find out.
musicvid10 wrote on 3/11/2015, 9:41 AM
Part of the problem may be heat.
Clean your fins and fans, and see if it improves.

Marc S wrote on 3/14/2015, 1:00 PM
I did do some net framework updates. I will try the older version of V13 and report back if it solves my problem. I don't believe heat is an issue since a restart immediately solves the problem. Thanks everyone for your input.
NCARalph wrote on 3/14/2015, 6:25 PM
I've had the same kind of issues with my 570 and believe the problem is with VP 13 NVidia GPU rendering. I completely solved my crashes by setting the Dynamic Ram Preview to 0.

It makes no sense that this would be involved, but bugs are nasty.
Marc S wrote on 3/14/2015, 7:49 PM
I just had the problem and uninstalled Vegas and re-installed the earlier version posted in this post. No rendering problem after doing that. Time will tell. Not sure what I had the dynamic ram set to so I'll keep an eye on that as well.
Marc S wrote on 3/14/2015, 7:56 PM
Spoke too soon. Hard crashes when selecting render to a new track. Dynamic ram is set to zero. Back to the drawing board.
johnmeyer wrote on 3/14/2015, 9:26 PM
Set Dynamic RAM preview to 500 MB and leave it there. Setting it to zero can do strange things.

Oldsmoke mentioned the still images, but the focus was, unfortunately on the format (PNG) rather than the resolution. Year ago, Vegas crashed all the time when it was fed lots of high-res still photos, even when they were in the preferred PNG format. Supposedly that problem got fixed, but in my experience, all they did was reduce the problem, rather than eliminating it.

So, as a troubleshooting step, try this: save the project under a new name. Then, remove all the still photos from the project, and just leave gaps on the timeline. Go to the Project tab and remove all unused media from the project. After having done this, try the render and see if it completes without failing.

As for heat, which has already been mentioned, you can easily download and run a utility which measure the heat in your processor. It you are getting close to the maximum, you will easily be able to see this.

One other thing which can cause problems are 3rd-party vendor fX. Are you using any non-Sony fX?

NCARalph wrote on 3/15/2015, 11:47 AM
Try setting Dynamic Ram to 0 and see if it does "strange things".

This has worked for several other people using NVidia GPU's. I've been running with it set to 0 for several months with no render crashes and no evidence of any strangeness.

Here's some other people for whom it worked:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=914854
johnmeyer wrote on 3/15/2015, 12:27 PM
Try setting Dynamic Ram to 0 and see if it does "strange things".You may be right. Changing this setting has worked and/or NOT worked ever since it was added to Vegas a decade ago. Its effect on the stability of Vegas has changed with every release. Put another way, with past releases, the zero setting has helped, but it has also caused problems for some users.

The only reason I was trying to be adamant about setting it back to something other than zero is that he'd already tried that and the zero setting didn't work, and therefore I thought it would be better if he put it back to something normal, so its zero value didn't cause some other problem with a later project (it persists from project to project, until you change it).
Marc S wrote on 3/15/2015, 2:08 PM
Lately it's gotten to the point where I could not render anything even with a restart. I looked at the latest software installs and two versions of Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable were installed recently when I installed GoPro software. I uninstalled both versions and the GoPro software and I'm rendering right now. I'll have to see if this is a permanent solution but has anyone had similar problems?

I also tried a test project where a removed all stills and it did not solve the issue.

Thanks, Marc
Marc S wrote on 3/23/2015, 1:37 PM
Ended up having to do a system re-install to solve the problem.