Render format for DVD motion menu

cbrillow wrote on 7/21/2010, 4:17 PM
I've been using Vegas and DVD Architect since versions 5 and 2, respectively. Currently, I'm using Vegas 8.0c & DVD-A 5.0b. I know enough about both to be menacing and impress some people, and have authored many DVDs for my own amusement on analog television equipment.

However, I'm now preparing 2 different projects for replication and sale, and wish to obtain the best-possible results on a motion menu. And a question comes to mind:

What is the most appropriate format to feed DVD-A for a motion menu? My initial thought would be mpeg-2, but doesn't DVD-A render out the menu video as part of the preparation process? If so, wouldn't this represent a second encode to mpeg-2, and result in a quality hit? Would it be better to feed it avi for the menu?

One other note: I'm planning on having the title text as part of the video, not created in DVD-A. I will be using empty buttons in DVD-A for the menu selection & highlights.

I appreciate all comments and suggestions, but please keep in mind that I'm only asking about menu video, not the program content of the DVD. I'm quite familiar with the best practices for creating content.

Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 7/21/2010, 7:02 PM
DVDA is going to render MPEG-2 8Mbs CBR for its menus IIRC. I usually give it just that for video for menus.

On your other note, I do just the same for titles - 8Mbs CBR. I stitch it to my program video (which is often 6Mbs VBR) in VideoRedo.

This approach really helps with motion and fades in menu and title content!
cbrillow wrote on 7/21/2010, 7:14 PM
DVDA is going to render MPEG-2 8Mbs CBR for its menus IIRC. I usually give it just that for video for menus.

But doesn't that make it suffer because of the double MPEG-2 encode? (First in Vegas, second in DVD-A)
musicvid10 wrote on 7/21/2010, 7:22 PM
Not that I can notice on my monitor. 8Mbs MPEG-2 SD is going to hold up pretty well in the second generation. Maybe you would notice squiggles if it was animation.

I suppose you could test lossless intermediates to see which ones work, but the result is still going to be just SD.