Render speed seems a little slower in Ver13 vs V11

frederick-wise wrote on 4/20/2014, 7:57 PM
I'm trying the new V13 demo and wanting to like it but notice right away it renders a few seconds slower than my old, trusty (and faster?) V11. Is this true for others?

In my test, I'm using a little 20 second HD clip from my Canon T2i and have rendered it in various formats but the the V13 render is always 2 to 3 seconds longer than the V11 render. If V13 doesn't render faster than V11, I'm not sure it is worth upgrading for me as I don't see myself getting into 4K or on-line collaborations, 3D, etc. I was hoping there might be some magical speed increases "under the hood" in this release but have yet to find any. Also, V13 doesn't seem to be able to load FLV files even though Sony says more file formats can be handled - just nor FLV, bummer.

My V11 has been really stable for years and works very well in my new Windows 8.1 machine so maybe I'll be skipping this release (as well as V12) since I already own Nectar and NewBlue VI.

Also, I own AfterFX CS5, and Partcile Illusion. Is Hitfilm 2 Ultimate a good addition or just more of the same? I could see upgrading to the suite if Hitfilm is really a different type of "must-have" program.

Thanx for any input.

Comments

ushere wrote on 4/20/2014, 8:52 PM
not meant as a flame....

i find talk about speed of rendering relatively important, after all, 10mins saved on an hours render is noticeable, but in real life i'd happily give up those 10 minutes for improved stability and reliability - that's what i first look for in a new release.

rendering is just part of the process, what comes before it is of much greater importance.

i often wonder how many people here actually have clients sitting in on the edit, and if they do, whether they're concerned about picture quality rather than content DURING the editing process.

frankly i rarely have clients sitting in on an edit, and if they do i simply explain (if at all necessary) that what they're seeing isn't rendered, it's PREVIEW quality. if they want to see rendered fine, but they'll simply have to hang around and buy me lunch (could be a very long one too) while we wait ;-)
VidMus wrote on 4/20/2014, 9:01 PM
The "Created by Sony Vegas Pro 13" overlay slows the render speed down. When I tested VP13 I noticed that the render speed slows down when it is displayed.

Now if you can do a real short render test where the overlay is not showing then you might get an idea of render speed but short tests are not very reliable.

NormanPCN wrote on 4/20/2014, 9:10 PM
I only did one small test and it was a tiny amount slower. About 1 second out of 30. V12 to V13. Not really statistically significant.

I never read anything about more file formats being supported in V13. Even if more were supported I doubt that Flash video will ever be one of those.
frederick-wise wrote on 4/20/2014, 10:21 PM
I know it's nitpicking but one would assume the newer, better, version would at least be as fast if not faster than an older version. I see someone here mentioned I should try a smaller clip to avoid the demo logo from popping up. I'll give that a try.

Thanx for the responses. Is Hit Film a good add-on for those who already have that sort of program?
Steve Mann wrote on 4/21/2014, 8:41 AM
It mysterifies me why people look at render speed as a benchmark for the NLE when it's the underlying codec, usually from a third party, that you're measuring.

Rendering: Good, Fast, Filesize - pick any two.
frederick-wise wrote on 4/21/2014, 2:58 PM
I tried a much shorter clip (7 seconds) and added various FX to it and the rendering speeds came out fairly equal so it looks like the "demo logo" could be the culprit slowing down V13. Thanx VidMus for the idea.

Ok, so it's about the same speed rendering but it seems like V13 is not a must-have upgrade as it looks and performs almost identical to V11 (and V12) as far as I can tell. I had called SONY a few times and suggested they add to V13 a simple "note-pad" to put Word docs and the like in (I do a lot of scripted narrations) as well as "Side-Chain/Ducking" in the audio but I don't see those. I installed TimeLine Tools a few months ago and that has a nice notepad but you would hope V13 would have it as well.

So far I find this update very disappointing but maybe that just means V11 is great for my needs and it's finally time to get Twixtor...

videoITguy wrote on 4/21/2014, 3:44 PM
JV1 - are you stating that you installed VegasPro13 trial? Did you try to run Timeline Tools in the trial install? Which version of TT.?
Did you have concurrent install of VPro12 running in the same drive partition?

We have all long agreed that TT adds all of the functionality that VegasPro should have come with in the beginning - that is why it exists now, and SCS seeing a path to shortcuts they can take, will not find it necessary to reinvent the wheel that is already turning.
frederick-wise wrote on 4/21/2014, 5:18 PM
Actually, I just tried opening Timeline Tools in the demo of V13 and it gives me an error even though the icon appears (View/Extensions/Timeline Tools). It still opens in V11 (I don't have V12). It's hard to believe they disabled this but maybe it's only disabled in the demo? Seems like a big step backwards.

FYI - The version is 1.0.53 - 64 bit mode, 2011 - 2013.

Update - I was just on the Timeline Tools website and it says V13 is not playing nice with TT but maybe there will be an update soon. I think I'll hold off on upgrading until TT works.