Render times with graphic overlays in Vegas

newmediarules wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:02 PM
I'm using a graphic with a straight unmatted alpha channel as my top track, and a standard video as my bottom track, but the render times I'm witnessing is almost scary.

You know how the windows panel says "% completed, time left, time elapsed"? It now says 19% completed, 6 minutes elapsed, zero time left -- but it never. And it looks like it's basically in crash mode -- again.

My desired video is only 15 seconds long.

A friend of mine was able to do the same thing with AfterEffects, with basically the same system, with just a few minutes render time.

Is this function outside of Vegas' scope?

Comments

ushere wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:20 PM
more details?

size of graphic / format / movement?

sd/hd?

which ver vegas?

doing this is almost real time in my experience

leslie
newmediarules wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:40 PM
I only have 4GB. And it seems I can do half the video without crashing.

Any advice is much appreciated.
newmediarules wrote on 8/27/2008, 10:44 PM
as you say, it renders rather quickly -- before it crashes.

I'm thinking it's a RAM issue. If I can figure out a way to "allocate" more memory, or whatever, I should be okay.

Thx so much
ushere wrote on 8/27/2008, 11:04 PM
i don't think ram's got much to do with it at all, even 512mb would allow you to do what you're describing in SD

you still haven't said anything about size, format, etc., so there's little else i can say, other than doing what you're describing has been there since vegas started, and has never in my experience been a problem.

without knowing more it's impossible to help you....

newmediarules wrote on 8/27/2008, 11:51 PM
The graphic is a TIF sequence (704MB, total). Also, I'm adjusting the graphic's position so that it "fits" a certain portion of the video.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 4400+
2.21 GHz, 4GB RAM

This is a Cineform HDV video project.

And even though I allocated more virtual memory via Windows, as you indirectly suggested, it's still crashing, but not as fast.
rs170a wrote on 8/28/2008, 12:00 AM
If you can do it, change the TIFs to TGAs or (preferably) PNGs.
You'll find that things will generally go much smoother.

Mike
ushere wrote on 8/28/2008, 2:54 AM
the man's quite right!

follow mikes advice, personally i'd opt for png's

leslie
Xander wrote on 8/28/2008, 5:49 AM
I generally render as Quicktime (PNG/Alpha) from AE for Overlays, etc. Also, make sure your Vegas project is not in 32 bit mode. All my crashes, problems, etc. stopped when I stayed in 8 bit mode. As the others have suggested, PNG is a more Vegas friendly format.
johnmeyer wrote on 8/28/2008, 7:16 AM
You didn't fill out your system specs so I don't know what version of Vegas you are using. All versions of Vegas will bog down when you put lots of still photos on the timeline. Earlier versions will definitely crash. The more photos, the worse the problem. The more pixels each photo has, the worse the problem. 4000x3000 photos will kill your render time; 3000x2000 will be slow; 1500x1000 and lower will be fine. Use PhotoShop (or equivalent to down-res copies of your photos and you'll probably fix the problem).