Render to track in a HD project. What format??

williamconifer wrote on 1/30/2005, 2:24 PM
Greets,

I am creating my first photo montage in HD in Vegas 5. I am going to dist. using the WMV 9 HD file format.

I always put my companies video logo at the end and well as semi crappy as it looks in SD it really looks crappy in HD so I have been creating my new logo in HD. I am need to render it so I can use it in other HD projects. What file format do I render it to? My project is in 1080p 16:9.

Thanks
jack

Comments

Spot|DSE wrote on 1/30/2005, 2:34 PM
Dang! that's a lot of bandwidth.
You'll need to render the company logo to an uncompressed 1080p stream, if you've got any transparency. There isn't a template for that. If it doesn't have transparency, just render it to the 1080i avi template, but change it from the Cineform codec to the Sony YUV codec, and change the fields to Progressive. Then you'll be able to drop it into anything later on.
Coursedesign wrote on 1/30/2005, 3:06 PM
What are you using that's fast enough to play back 1080p?

I have seen projected 720p and played back 1080i on a fast desktop, but 1080p?
williamconifer wrote on 1/30/2005, 4:50 PM
Thanks Spot.

Ya know half the time I don't know what the hell I'm doing. ;-) I'm just experimenting with what I can do with my 3.2 duel Xeon workstation which can just chew on anything I throw at it. So I want to find it's limit.

I have fairly affluent bridal couples paying for montage work from me and I want to keep on the edge and appeal to some of their "must have the latest and greatest" attitude. So I am about to offer an addon that will give them an HD version of their montage in WMV9 HD on DVD-Rom. I figured on creating the WMV HD file at 1080i or p. As they say "anything worth doing is worth over-doing". hehe.

Regarding progressive vs interlaced, I render/burn my SD montage work in progressive so my clients with plazma or LCD can take advantage of a native prog. signal. SO I figured I should do the same with this HD version I'm working on.

If I am wandering around like a clueless baffoon please clue me in. *chuckles*

BTW, Spot, I unlike other VU board members see the HD advantage in marketing to the bridal industry. I can't believe the crap some of them were dishing your way. Anyway it was nice to see you over there.

Thanks again
jack
B_JM wrote on 1/30/2005, 5:36 PM
1080p30 is played back on a lot of things - well a few anyway , it was/is a pretty popular playback for a lot of stuff i worked on .. in fact I was playing back as much as 1920 x 2160 @ 30p off a Windows pc with ac3 - which was sync'd in some cases to more than one unit. This was for 3D applications and other such things.....

We could go even higher in fact in resolution ...

playback in this case was using a custom codec developed for this application .... and off the shelf standard hardware .... This was quality HIGHER than mpeg2 @ 48meg/s data rate per a single 1080p stream .. I can encode to this codec (which requires a dongle) in vegas and it uses the power of openGL in the video card for decoding (low cpu) .

The old duck on2 codec (now vp6 - but i mean the original on2) can play back on a pc at 2k+ resolution off a IDE normal drive in fact real well ...... That codec is still on their website - but kinda hard to find , plus there are better now -- but that old codec would hardly use any cpu resources at all and require no special video card either -- it was developed in the days of the p2 i think ..

i got all kinds of stories on codecs ..

with a ati or nvidia card - a late model video card, you would have no problem playing 1080p24/30 off most systems, mpeg2 at standard hd broadcast bit rates ..

Coursedesign wrote on 1/30/2005, 10:17 PM
B_JM,

That is cool! Just a year and a half ago I saw fairly late model PCs choking on less than that, presumably because they weren't using the video card capabilities fully.
williamconifer wrote on 1/31/2005, 8:32 PM
I rendered a 3.5 min. 720 p HD project to WMV HD 720p 6mbps file. I transfered it to my Mac iBook 900 G3 with WMP9 on it to see if it would play and made my iBook cry like a little girl. No big suprise.

720p video is sure easy on the eyes. I love it.

jh
B_JM wrote on 2/1/2005, 7:42 AM
WMV9 is cpu intensive and rapidly failing behind quality wise opensource mpeg4 and AVC projects (there are a couple) and the latest AVC commercial codecs ( there are a few - some are still buggy)..

at this point - other than for web distro - wmv is all but dead because it is "locked" somewhat . MS did it to themselves on this one..

AAC and AVC are the wave of the future for a lot of things ..
SonyTSW wrote on 2/2/2005, 9:29 PM
You may want to check out http://www.wmvhd.com/

There are system requirements listed and sample Windows Media High Def clips you can download. Many clips are available in both 720p and 1080p.
Spot|DSE wrote on 2/2/2005, 9:31 PM
AVC simply rocks. Looks wonderful, encodes quickly, and it even PROJECTS really nicely on a 16' screen.