Rendering hardware options

Ulodesk wrote on 4/17/2016, 10:51 AM
Nearly all my work at present consists of rendering HD-recorded living history interviews for storage on Blu-ray M-discs. I have settled on the Sony AVC 1920x1080 60i with audio separately rendered to AC-3 to optimize quality with file size.
I was just watching some tips on Derek Moran's site, one of which discusses improving rendering times. I had never looked at this, having learned that my graphics card, a Radeon 6450, was not CUDA compatible. I assumed that I had to use the CPU ( i5 2400) to render. He shows where to look for options: after selecting a rendering template, Customize/System/Check GPU. In my case, this displays "Open CL available." Also, on the Video tab, the two Intel Quick Sync options are available under Encoding.
Is selecting a matter of pure trial and error, or am I likely to be able to use one of these to decrease rendering time? Should I just take a short video -- say, 10 minutes -- and time with CPU only, Open CL and Quick Sync Quality to see which is fastest? Are there other considerations I should be taking into account?

Comments

Eagle Six wrote on 4/17/2016, 11:09 AM
Hi Ulodesk,

I think the i5/2400 has Intel Quick Sync capability, so that is an option as well as OpenCL. If it were me, I would do the comparison test. Then you know for sure based on your system setup. Also I would make sure I was getting the fastest playback during preview, check GPU acceleration of video processing: 'for the your graphics card', and have the Dynamic RAM preview max in around '200' when rendering.

Best Regards.......George

System Specs......
Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3 (overclocked 20%)
64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 boot drive
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD - video work drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA - video work drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive

Bluray Disc burner drive
2x 1080p monitors
Microsoft Window 10 Pro
DaVinci Resolve Studio 16 pb2
SVP13, MVP15, MVP16, SMSP13, MVMS15, MVMSP15, MVMSP16

UKharrie wrote on 4/18/2016, 5:09 PM
It's a very confusing world is Software with all the Graphics cards and their boasts.
It's too much for me so my next PC will have a decent Processor, multi-core ( perhaps six by the time I get it), with as good a graphics card I can afford, nothing too fancy but with at least 2G of memory included.
Trying to fathom SMS and using graphics Card is just too difficult. You'd think the makers would include a line "Suitable for...." and maybe Sony software would suggest suitable cards (( Although these change numbers for each Country, I expect )).

By increasing processing-power the render-times should be reasonably quick . . . and that's all one can expect.

Pity it's not obvious ( to me anyway.).

Maybe I'll try out that Website( thanks), for greater insight, too.

EDIT ( APRIL 2016 ) -
I see Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti WindForce2 OC 4 GB Graphics Card at £100-ish
and wonder if anyone here has experience of this for Rendering....?
With two fans it suggests it will need a PSU up-date - and 4G looks good for the money.
Oddly 800-series appears to be missing, as numbers jump to 900's with prices almost doubling.