Comments

Chienworks wrote on 8/19/2004, 8:11 PM
You're not alone. I've been asking for this for years. :)
stormstereo wrote on 8/20/2004, 3:50 AM
Pleeeaaaase let me have this!
Best/T
JasonMurray wrote on 8/20/2004, 6:18 PM
This would make a lot of things much better -- for instance, when the HD Vegas is rendering to fills up, it can just go into Pause mode. And if I have to do something urgently on the computer I could hit Pause, do what I need to do, then hit Continue...
Chienworks wrote on 8/20/2004, 8:20 PM
I'd like to be able to go a lot further. I'd like the ability to suspend the current render, save what it's gotten to and close all files, shut down Vegas, turn off or reboot the computer, start up Vegas again, and resume the render from that point without losing what's already been rendered.
rontvs wrote on 8/20/2004, 8:33 PM
That would be a great feature. Or, how about if the render time could be reduced by 90%...probably not. LOL

Ron
stormstereo wrote on 8/21/2004, 1:04 AM
Chienworks - I suggested this to Sony a coupla' days ago. Everyone on this thread should do it too.
Best/Tommy
Erk wrote on 8/21/2004, 1:26 AM
Another vote for the Pause function as Chienworks has described.

Perhaps it would be more effective if when we suggest this to Sony, we could say that "X NLE has this function." So, do any comparable programs out there have this (Final Cut, PP, Mediastudio?)

Greg
Grazie wrote on 8/21/2004, 2:34 AM
I keep telling people Vegas is hardware agnostic. Having a pause option on renerding would do a lot to convince others - yes?

. . .hmmm .. Do I need another pc for network rendering? Vegas is hardware agnostic . .. yes?

Grazie
AlexB wrote on 8/21/2004, 3:52 AM
Why don't you simply start Vegas with priority=low for the rendering task? You can do what you want on your computer, just slowing down the render process.
So why pause the render when you can have it in the background?
Grazie wrote on 8/21/2004, 4:21 AM
Alex . . "Why don't you.. " er, maybe cos I didn't know it? Thank you.

You do this? Is it successful? Has it brought you health, happiness & riches beyond your wlldest dreams? .. . Thanks. I guess this IS documented within the Manual - yes? I wonder if Kelly knows this? Interesting . . .

Grazie
megamind wrote on 8/21/2004, 5:48 AM
>Why don't you simply start Vegas with priority=low for the rendering task?
>You can do what you want on your computer, just slowing down the render process.
>So why pause the render when you can have it in the background?

Then the Rendering takes EVEN LONGER. 72 hours is enuff, I think.
Why pause it? Well, there are other progs on my comp, they can crash, then lotsa windows progs need a restart for every minor crap, then I might want to run the rendering on PRIORITY to let the 72 hours pass asap, so pausing would be good for emergency situations, then I might want to change the hardware and cant do that for 3 days, gimme a moment and I find 15 other reasons why this should exist...
Chienworks wrote on 8/21/2004, 12:03 PM
I alwyas set Vegas' priority to "Below normal" when rendering. That lets any other programs respond rather quickly. In the end, Vegas still gets about 97% or so of the processor cycles and the renders end up taking only a tiny bit longer.

But, yes, there are many times when i wish i could pause the render completely. System reboots are a biggie. For those on laptops, you might have a long long render to do while flying. You can't have the laptop on during takeoff and landing. If you have to shut it off then you lose your current render. Wouldn't it be nice to work on it a bit at a time rather than waiting until the flight is over to start?

Another nice addition would be for Vegas to autosave it's rendering progress every 10 minutes or so. That way if the system crashes or the power goes out, it can pick up from the autosave point and you only lose the last few minutes of rendering. Cool, huh?
stormstereo wrote on 8/21/2004, 3:41 PM
Yeah, I'm with ya there Chienworks.

When I suggested this to Sony I couldn't think of a software where I've seen the rendering process do this but of course it has to be possible. I came to think of download managers such as the one from MetaProducts or BitTorrent. All those can resume downloads no matter how it got cut off. To me it seems pretty obvious any render engine should be able to analyze and verify what has been rendered so far and where to resume from. Let's see it Sony, please.

Best/Tommy
AlexB wrote on 8/21/2004, 4:50 PM
Grazie:
Health - no. Happiness - not really. Richness beyond my wildest dreams - you're kidding. But Vegas keeps on rendering leaving me a responsive computer. Higher priority than normal doesn't help. Priority below normal or low makes Windows use Vegas instead of the "idle process", which is the one usually getting 99% of your Computers resources. We all have been waiting for the Computer you can shut down at any given moment and resume your Work 4 hours or days later. It still doesn't exist, or does it? This is not the task to be solved by a single program, but rather by the operating system, if you want to call Windows XP an operating system. Would be a nice feature in Vegas, no doubt. But I'd rather have it in all of my programs, provided by the next Windows, whatever name it will have.
;-)A.
Liam_Vegas wrote on 8/21/2004, 9:51 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet... but If you are rendering to AVI then cancel at any point you do have the AVI complete up to that point. Then just load that AVI back onto the timeline and render the rest of the file.

Sort of like a pause?

I have done this a couple of times in the past - one time when I needed to shut-down quickly (power failure.. and the UPS kicked in).

Grazie wrote on 8/21/2004, 10:33 PM
Liam, fly that past me one more time .. "but If you are rendering to AVI then cancel at any point you do have the AVI complete up to that point. Then just load that AVI back onto the timeline and render the rest of the file. Where would I/Vegas know where to restart? Supposing I've done 3 mins of 5 mins, how do I tell Vegas to continue from EXACTLY 3:00:24 [ PAL here . . . ] . .. uh-huh, penny just dropped . . . me TOTALLY bad! - But then again I would have a break? How do I get rid of that? Do I then "re-render" the two files into one?

. .. interesting . ..

Grazie
Liam_Vegas wrote on 8/21/2004, 11:46 PM
"IT" doesn't know... but you can tell it very easily. Load the partiallty completed AVI back onto the timeline onto new tracks above the current timeline. Now you can just double click the space to right of the rendered AVI and you have a region selected that is just the bit you now need to render.

Make sense?

If you want one continuous file afterwards.. just load the files into a single VEG and render (which will not be an actual "render") and it will do a bit-copy to the new AVI file. The bit-copy stage is a bit of a pain... but doesn't take all that long.
Grazie wrote on 8/22/2004, 12:25 AM
Yes, it makes sense. Then after "doubling" the render would give me 2xGBs of the original render? Okay, if I can accommodate it. . But yes Liam, I very neatish way out of not needing to pause. I think I had this "pause" in VideoWave and Studio7? . . But maybe not .. . was it only STOP or ESC .. . ?

Thanks Liam,

Grazie
Liam_Vegas wrote on 8/22/2004, 1:01 AM
Yep.. you end up with double the space required... for as much time as it takes you to delete the two "partial" avi's. This is merely a "work-around" and not intended to be "the end solution" for this suggestion

-Liam
Grazie wrote on 8/22/2004, 1:13 AM
Understood Liam.

On another tack, I seem to remember VideoWave being faster on renders too. It wouldn't read "render ready"="non-treated" footage but ignore them and get on with what it HAD to really do. I think it was called something like "Smart Render" or some such cheesey title . .but it was veeeerryyy fast! Does VEgas "skip" stuff like this? I see when V5 is rendering the frame counter active all the time . . . . as if in real time it is missing the non-treated footage.

Grazie
Liam_Vegas wrote on 8/22/2004, 1:22 AM
That's all that "Smart Render" was... simpyl doing a bit-copy of the frames that were unaltered. Vegas does this.
Grazie wrote on 8/22/2004, 1:27 AM
Another good reason to ditch VideoSlave and come over from "The Dark Side"! .. . ;-)

Grazie
Chienworks wrote on 8/22/2004, 5:04 AM
But, what about renders to other formats? I would guess that renders to DV .avi make up less than 1/3 of the renders i do.
megamind wrote on 8/23/2004, 7:00 PM
Liam

are you someone from the Sony Vegas guys? Just wondering regarding yer username. If you are, does your reply earlier mean that Sony are workin on a function to interrupt rendering?

I'm worried if this is possible at all. Not that it appears to be impossible to me technically, but otherwise I cant really imagine being the first person to have had the idea of that function :)

And I dont know any software that can do that by now. But would it be soo difficult? Cant be true:/