Comments

musicvid10 wrote on 9/26/2012, 1:30 PM
If it has its own track, I don't see why you couldn't replace it with something else, except the existing kick might have bled through to other mics.
Rdnzl wrote on 9/26/2012, 1:51 PM
It's not an option to record it once again. I just want to replace the sound of it with another kick drum sound. This is recorded live, with live musicians. But the sound is poor, the rest of the drum set sounds fine.
farss wrote on 9/27/2012, 7:20 AM
Create another track. Add new drum samples in sync with original track, mute original track, sleep well.

Of course that's going to be tedious. I don't know if you can do this in Vegas but certainly in other apps you can use the original drum hits to trigger a synth drum.

Alternatively it might be possible to fix the original drum track. Have you tried any plugins?

Bob.
musicvid10 wrote on 9/27/2012, 1:37 PM
Rdnzl,
I think you are thinking of a loop or midi editor, which Vegas is not. You have an audio track in an audio editor.

"The kick drum has it's own track."
As mentioned twice, if there is no bleedover to other audio tracks, it should be child's play to replace the kick track with other audio of your choosing. But it's going to be with audio, not a loop or midi sample.
rraud wrote on 9/27/2012, 4:36 PM
I think Drumagog works with VP if you have a good 'trigger' track, ie; your original Kick drum track in this case
farss wrote on 9/27/2012, 4:49 PM
"I think you are thinking of a loop or midi editor, which Vegas is not. You have an audio track in an audio editor."

No, I'm thinking of Vegas which I've used several times to replace notes.

'Loop" and "sample" files are just audio files (.wav) with additional metadata. You can drop them straight onto the Vegas T/L and they work just like any other audio file.

As the problematic drum track is just a kick drum which isn't a variable pitch drum a single sample is perhaps all that is needed to build a new kick drum track in Vegas. There may even be a suitable kick drum loop / sample for free on Acid Planet. I've search my library but can't find one but I'd be pretty certain a Google (Google is broken down here at the moment) would find something.
Even if there is some bleed through the new drum sound may simply swamp out the old kick drum sound in the mix.

Obviously the best solution would be to get the drummer with his kit into a studio and create a new track and that also could be done using nothing but Vegas. Given that today kick drums are oftenly just a "duff, duff", a single sample carefully aligned many, many times may do the trick. Even then Vegas has a very good pitch shifter...I wouldn't say anything isn't possible using just Vegas, it's even possible to gate another track to quieten down bleed through.

This may be even easier than I thought.
Play the mix, hit "M" key at each drum kick. Find script that adds media at markers. Adjust to taste.

Bob.
ChristoC wrote on 9/27/2012, 4:50 PM
I agree Drumagog is the tool for this - is VST, inserted as a Track FX - is even clever enough to give you different dynamic or sample depending on the varying intensities of the original.... and it can intelligently follow "live' feels perfectly. They have a library of samples or you can make/use your own.

Steven Myers wrote on 9/27/2012, 5:13 PM
Another vote for Drumagog.
musicvid10 wrote on 9/27/2012, 7:08 PM
Sorry Bob,
My response was for the OP and I was agreeing with your response.