Resizing Picture

L_Town wrote on 7/29/2009, 6:53 AM
Everytime I import a photo and drag it onto the timeline, it always resizes it to fit the canvas (upscales?). I don't want Vegas to do this. Is it possible to drag it onto the timeline at its original size?

For example, I have nine photos that are 240 X 162 and I want to have all nine of them on the screen at once to fill my canvas (720 X 486). I have calculated that these nine photos will fit perfectly.

How do I prevent Vegas from upscaling these photos? I do not want to use the Pan/Crop and the Track Motion to manually adjust the photos. this will create more work.

This happens to every photo I try to bring in no matter the size! PLEASE HELP!!!

-Brian

Comments

L_Town wrote on 7/29/2009, 7:08 AM
I am also wondering if anyone knows how to turn off this feature? It appears Vegas resamples everything to match your project settings... Is there a way to turn off this for pictures?
rs170a wrote on 7/29/2009, 7:23 AM
Is there a way to turn off this for pictures?

Unfortunately no :-(

How do I prevent Vegas from upscaling these photos? I do not want to use the Pan/Crop and the Track Motion to manually adjust the photos. this will create more work.

That's the only way I know of to do it.

Mike
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 7/29/2009, 7:33 AM
Of course....This feature can simply be turned off by going to "Preferences"
and under the "Editing tab" , uncheck "Automatically crop still images added to timeline".
Laurence wrote on 7/29/2009, 7:45 AM
Maybe a little off topic, but sometimes you only have access to low resolution versions of the pictures you want to use in a Vegas project. Blowing them up in Vegas looks pixelated and Photoshop uprezzes aren't all that great either. The absolutely best program for uprezzing photos (IMHO of course) is http://www.benvista.com/main/content/content.php?page=ourproducts&section=photozoompro_1PhotoZoom Pro[/link]. I just updated to version 3 recently and the newest high quality uprez algorithm is the best uprez I've ever seen. In really extreme cases, the uprezzing looks like an artistic hand drawing which is quite nice looking. There is absolutely no stair stepping on diagonal lines. I have been able to use low resolution photos I never would have thought of using even in HD projects.
rs170a wrote on 7/29/2009, 7:58 AM
...uncheck "Automatically crop still images added to timeline".

Steve, this must be new in V9 Pro as I can't see it in 6, 7 or 8 Pro.

Mike
L_Town wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:01 AM
I experimented a little today and after a couple of hours of editing and reading another post here it what I ended up doing:

1) I scaled down my photos to 240 X 162 square pixels.
2) Imported them into Vegas
3) Went into the Event Pan/Crop and changed the width (under the position) from 240 to 720. Thus this gives me 720 X 486 (which is my project canvas size).
4) Changed all of the picture properties to a pixel aspect ratio of .9091 (orignally brought in at PAR of 1.0).

This may not be the best way but it worked. Let me know if you know of a better way. I appreciate the responses. Keep the discussion going. Thanks!!!

-Brian
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:03 AM
Mike.....I think this feature has been available from version 8.0c
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:10 AM
Laurence....quite interesting, i shall take this on a trial spin and see.
often i have low resolution images that when uprezzed looks %#!@(*
no matter what is used.
rs170a wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:27 AM
Steve, I just checked an 8.0c machine and it's not there either so this must be one of V9's new features.

Mike
Steve_Rhoden wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:36 AM
Mike....So it would seems then....could have sworn it was in Vegas 8.
rs170a wrote on 7/29/2009, 8:45 AM
No problem Steve. Thanks for the tip about it as I forgot it was in there.

Mike
L_Town wrote on 7/30/2009, 5:31 PM
Has anyone looked at my post? Did I do it correctly?

-Brian
JohnnyRoy wrote on 7/30/2009, 7:45 PM
> 3) Went into the Event Pan/Crop and changed the width (under the position) from 240 to 720. Thus this gives me 720 X 486 (which is my project canvas size).

Yes this is the correct way to correct for Vegas automatically scaling.

> 4) Changed all of the picture properties to a pixel aspect ratio of .9091 (orignally brought in at PAR of 1.0).

No, don't do this. The images use square pixels. Don't lie to Vegas and say that they are 0.9091 when they are not. Vegas will do the correct compensating but you have to tell it the truth. The PAR of the images is really 1.000. Leave it that way.

~jr
L_Town wrote on 8/14/2009, 11:50 AM
"No, don't do this. The images use square pixels. Don't lie to Vegas and say that they are 0.9091 when they are not. Vegas will do the correct compensating but you have to tell it the truth. The PAR of the images is really 1.000. Leave it that way."

I tried that but all nine pictures will not fill the canvas then. What am I doing wrong? Again, I have 9 photos that are 240 X 160...

Below is a link to a similair problem I am having:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=669459
jetdv wrote on 8/14/2009, 1:39 PM
There's always the "logo resize" tool in Excalibur which will reset it back to it's original size. If you have a bunch to do, that would be a lot quicker.
Marco. wrote on 8/14/2009, 2:16 PM
This feature came with V9 but it does not prevent stills from being upscaled, neither turned on, nor turned off.

It just gives you the choice to have a still being upscaled either until it fits the project size including cropping or until it fits the project size without cropping leaving black bars on bottom/top or left/right (like Vegas always did in the versions before).

It does not what L_Town asked for. I think the method he uses is the best (and only) way to go. Only faster way is to use Excalibur.

Marco
JohnnyRoy wrote on 8/14/2009, 6:12 PM
> I tried that but all nine pictures will not fill the canvas then. What am I doing wrong? Again, I have 9 photos that are 240 X 160...

If you made them 240 because you were dividing 720 by 3 then that's the problem. You didn't take into account that the 720 is not using square pixels. 720 x 0.9091 is ~655 and 655 / 3 is ~218 so I would make them 218 wide to fix 3 across.

~jr