Restoring Deleted Audio from Video

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 1:44 AM

Hi guys, I am sure there is an obvious answer to this (and in fact I have already solved the issue manually) but wondered if there was an obvious way to do this that I may have been unaware of, for future ref:

Here is the scenario

• Video has an audio guide
  • Imported that video and added to timeline and made some edits
  • Imported my mastered audio and added to timeline, manually lined it up with the video's audio - all good, continue editing
  • Ungrouped the video's audio as no longer needed and deleted it (should have just muted tbh)
  • Weeks later made some changes to the mastered audio which changed the start point and the original mastered audio was deleted.

So I wanted to just select the video (or a part of it) and restore the audio guide that was originally linked to that video.

I ended up pulling the whole video in again and finding the ends to line it up. But it would be great to have been able to do:

"Restore audio from this clip" or something similar.

Sorry for long post, probably didn't need this much detail really. Just the two bits in bold.

Compliments of the season, all the best,.

P. :-)

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 12/30/2021, 1:58 AM

This is easily done in Vegas Pro 18 and 19 and has what you are seeking.

On the timeline, R click the video event and then select 'Add Missing Stream for Selected Event'. A new audio track will be created containing the audio for length of the video event as is edited on the timeline.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 2:04 AM

Hi @Dexcon thanks for that. OK. Apologies, I should have provided more info.

The video has 4 separate tracks of stereo audio. Only one of them (track 1) contains the actual speech which was required

So I did indeed find the option to Add Missing Stream but it only restored 1 of the tracks which was track 4 unfortunately and that is a blank track. After this I gave up (thinking I must have chosen the wrong command) and fixed it manually.

So maybe this feature doesn't work with multitrack audio?

Dexcon wrote on 12/30/2021, 2:50 AM

@Phil_P  ... I've just tested a shot from an old Sony HD camera with 5.1 audio and thus 4 separate audio tracks on Vegas Pro 19's timeline, and I get the same behaviour as you have. Applying the missing stream option restored 1 audio track only (channel 3, the centre channel).

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 3:03 AM

Thanks again @Dexcon

Do you think this should be considered a bug?

If so maybe one of the guys in the beta team would care to report it, I will gladly supply demo files, more info etc. if required.

Meanwhile I figure there is no other way around this for future.

Thanks again. It is always great to have confirmation that one is not losing all marbles, (just dropped a few).

:-)

Dexcon wrote on 12/30/2021, 3:28 AM

@Phil_P  ...

Do you think this should be considered a bug?

It might be ... or maybe just an oversight. But you might want to add the issue to the Vegas Pro 19 Feature Requests forum page at https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-19-feature-requests--123432/?page=13#ca831957

And/or if you consider it a bug, you might want to lodge a support ticket with MAGIX via the support link in the header of the forum - but its a quite convoluted process. It's a matter of going to Ask Support and then trawl through the FAQ pages, ask any question at all when a free text field appears, and then it should show the field to lodge a support ticket.

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 3:31 AM

Yup been there before a few times. This is not a huge deal really - more of a reminder not to delete files, just becuase they are no longer in use. Haha. Maybe someone who can report directly it will see it. :-)

It's a matter of going to Ask Support and then trawl through the FAQ pages, ask any question at all when a free text field appears, and then it should show the field to lodge a support ticket.

gary-rebholz wrote on 12/30/2021, 8:29 AM

@Phil_P, It is indeed an oversight. I'll note it, but can't promise any fast fix for it. In the meantime, once you've added back the one channel that it does find, you can duplicate that track for as many times as there are additional channels. Then right-click the event on those additional tracks and choose Channels fom the context menu. This lets you choose the channels you want active for the additional tracks.

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 10:56 AM

@Phil_P, It is indeed an oversight. I'll note it, but can't promise any fast fix for it. In the meantime, once you've added back the one channel that it does find, you can duplicate that track for as many times as there are additional channels. Then right-click the event on those additional tracks and choose Channels fom the context menu. This lets you choose the channels you want active for the additional tracks.

Thanks Gary, very kind of you to reply and good to know you are aware of it. Thanks for the great workaround. :-)

Jeditpro wrote on 12/30/2021, 11:19 AM

Hi @gary-rebholz

I want to take this opportunity and show some differences between the workflow that uses stereo audio compared to the workflow that uses 5.1 audio or multiple audio streams that might be important.

1.When the audio is stereo, the project correctly assumes the media properties, but when the audio is 5.1 the project properties are still stereo. You need to manually adjust the settings to 5.1 audio.  

2.When the audio is stereo, depending on the audio and video events selection order, the Syncronize option correctly move the audio or video event using the By Moving or By Slipping options. But when the audio is 5.1 only the video event is moved using the By Moving or By Slipping options. And it only works if the audio event is selected before the video event.

See my screen record showing this diferences.

Thank you for always interacting with us. I wish you and your team a great new year!

Phil_P wrote on 12/30/2021, 12:48 PM

@Jeditpro Thanks for that. I will give it a try too. (I think it will be a while before I need this again but it is great to have this stuff in the arsenal.)
Thanks again and Happy New Year to you too. :-)

Jeditpro wrote on 1/27/2022, 10:46 PM

When possible and if possible, please add too this improvement.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/add-missing-stream-for-selected-events-improvements--133925/