rumour gossip and innuendo

Weevil wrote on 4/2/2005, 8:03 PM
Hmmm... Just saw these links in the bad guy’s forum.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=2cfc7a8c8315808d61e9c31efb1a83ad&threadid=42282

http://www.dmnforums.com/cgi-bin/readwholethread.fcgi?forum=sonic-foundry_vegas&post=050302220413.htm&toppostid=34392

Everyone seems to be stressing that they are not complete feature lists...and let’s hope they are right about that bit...

Comments

cheroxy wrote on 4/3/2005, 6:52 AM
I noticed on one of those lists that it mentioned VST support. Is that like when my wife uses cakewalk and she plugs in our digital piano, plays a song and it records with options like grand piano, acoustic guitar, oboe, flute, etc?

If that is true, along with the other upgrades, Sony truely is trying to make Vegas the all-in-one editor that I only dreamed of a few years ago.

Cheroxy
ibliss wrote on 4/3/2005, 7:36 AM
No, you're thinking of VSTi (VST instruments), which needs MIDI sequencing support, which vegas does not have.
cheroxy wrote on 4/3/2005, 9:12 AM
Thanks, just missing a little letter - i - and it would be what I want ;)
ibliss wrote on 4/3/2005, 10:18 AM
you're not the only one!
Rednroll wrote on 4/4/2005, 6:49 AM
That list looks pretty impressive. Looks like I can throw this old Avid away that I've been using. So if this is any indication of how overdue audio features will be implemented, we got one of the 6 of Weevils dirty half dozen, so we should have the rest by Vegas 11......which is only about 6 years away.
Weevil wrote on 4/4/2005, 11:06 AM
I might be on the wrong track here, but could the nested timeline stuff kinda sorta be like FX freeze?
Nat wrote on 4/4/2005, 12:39 PM
I guess nested sequences could be used as a sort of freeze if there is a way to pre-render the nested sequence.
Weevil wrote on 4/4/2005, 11:03 PM
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, if they got the implementation right it -might- work in that way.

I’m lookin’ as hard as I can for positives here peoples!
Ben  wrote on 4/5/2005, 4:35 AM
Weevil did you ever see this thread?

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=19&MessageID=353691

I don't want to preempt anything, cos we'll surely only be disappointed, but SonyMatt does seem to be dropping a hint about track freezing here. Either that or he's just really teasing us!

Ben
Weevil wrote on 4/5/2005, 8:47 AM
Hmmm interesting...so, so far it looks like VST, Broadcast WAV and possibly nested timelines may be relevant to us.

But who knows what those wacky funsters at Sony are really up to.

Best to keep expectations low.
Rednroll wrote on 4/5/2005, 12:38 PM
"Best to keep expectations low."

Definately, that fits in with the words we hear so often, that some view the glass as half full, while others view it as half empty. You definately get the half full aspect by lowering you're expectations. I just wish there was a release where they would just fill the glass all the way up, and we wouldn't have any discussions as far as half empty/hall full.
Rednroll wrote on 4/5/2005, 1:30 PM
Well, it definately looks like V6 has nested timelines. Now doesn't that give the possibility of Tempo mapping? For instance Vegas has a single project tempo with Acid loop support. Nested timelines allows you to drop multiple Vegas projects into a single Vegas project and each of these could have their own individual project tempos. So eccentially I could drop in project #1 at 110BPM, placing Project #2 directly behind it at 90BPM, which basically equates to a master project tempo mapping right? So if that could be done, then why couldn't project tempo mapping be added? Then why couldn't REWIRE be added because Vegas is not musical? I guess it might break the video features? I'm confused.
Weevil wrote on 4/5/2005, 10:55 PM
Yeah I suppose it might open the door for the tempo stuff. But it might also slam it shut.

I think there is a chance the app might ignore the tempo of nested events. Otherwise you would run into problems if you were trying to drop multiple nested events with different tempos across the same point in the timeline.

Maybe that could push them further along the idea that tempo doesn’t belong in Vegas?

I am being glass half empty aren’t I...