"Save As" error

julie @ serviam media wrote on 7/22/2009, 1:42 PM
I just upgraded to Pro9 and installed the 9.0a update and have lost the ability to successfully "Save As" with "Copy Media with Project" and "Create Trimmed Copies of Source Media" with handles of 2.0 seconds. It starts to go through the process, then about halfway through the following error:

An error occurred while creating the media file. No compatible video codec was found.

This is how I have always wrapped up a project to create backups.

Any help would really be appreciated and save me having to backup 22GB of raw data vs. about 3GB of trimmed data.

Comments

Mustafa wrote on 7/23/2009, 10:49 PM
With version 8.0c I was able to save trimmed copies of AVI media files (specifically uncompressed AVI) for archiving. However, this ended with version 8.1, and the same with all 9.0 versions, both 32-bit and 64-bit. I do find, however, that this is not a problem in any version when I am working with DV files. Unfortunately, since you cannot open a 9.0 veg in an earlier version (vegas not being backwards compatible) if I want to be able to archive my project in a reasonable size then I have to edit in 8.1 then open it in 8.0 and save trimmed copies (that's if I'm working with uncompressed AVI). So for me, with this issue 9.0 is worthless unless my media is solely DV, which is usually not the case. (As far as HDV media, I haven't tried it yet.)
ushere wrote on 7/24/2009, 12:37 AM
a little unclear as to whether you're talking about mpeg (which can't be trimmed in save as), or vanilla dv?

julie @ serviam media wrote on 7/24/2009, 10:58 AM
these are original avi files that were captured through Sony Vegas Capture from DigiBeta via SDI using a BlackMagic HD DeckLink
Harold Brown wrote on 8/5/2009, 7:51 PM
I get the same error on my SD project. Using avi and mov files.
I reported it to Sony.
My work around was to go back to the Vegas Pro 8 veg file and do a "save as" and copy media and do a trim (which worked) and then opened it in V9 and do a "save as" to create a V9 project.
epirb wrote on 8/14/2009, 2:04 PM
I too am having this issue, with m2t'sand jpg stills. it hangs after suppossedly remaming a couple of still images, not sure why. there names are simalar to all the others and are only in the pool once. but Vegas justs hangs at 0 percent, however if i go to the target folder it seems like all has been saved except the new veg file Containing the file location of all newly saved files of course.
So archiving is becomeing a problem
ushere wrote on 8/15/2009, 3:55 PM
afaik there's no save and 'trim' for m2t's.....
epirb wrote on 8/17/2009, 10:46 AM
yup not trimming saving complete media... well trying to anyway.
R0cky wrote on 8/17/2009, 1:12 PM
I had the same problem with cineform encoded files in 9.0. Haven't tried it with 9.0a.
Marc S wrote on 8/26/2009, 2:49 PM
What a mess Vegas 9 is. I just found this problem and now I'm stuck with 900 gigs I need to condense and archive. I just e-mailed tech support. Has anyone had any response about this problem?

Thanks, Marc
ushere wrote on 8/26/2009, 4:11 PM
just buy a 1tb ex hd. problem solved. they're cheap as chips and you'll have ALL your material saved should you have to re-edit at some later date....
julie @ serviam media wrote on 9/2/2009, 7:47 AM
No change in the 9b update. Come on SONY, I'm burning through DVDs here!
Marc S wrote on 9/2/2009, 12:09 PM
I sent in a support ticket on this issue last week and have not heard anything yet. Anybody else get a response? I was able to trim my Cineform projects just fine in V8.

Marc
Marc S wrote on 9/3/2009, 6:37 PM
I just received a response (posted below) to my support ticket. For everyone that wants this feature to work (as it did in V7 and V8) please send in a support ticket. Re-encoding or buying new harddrives is not an acceptable solution to this problem and it needs to be fixed ASAP.

"Hi Marc,

How did you get these file into the Cineform codec? It appears that this particular version of the Cineform encoded .avil files is not working in Vegas Pro 9.0. Please try encoding them in a different format and then try saving out the project with trimmed media. When encoding the files to AVCHD, the files work when saving them as trimmed media

Do you still have the original files that were used before being converted using the cineform codec?

Sincerely,

Nate P.
Customer Service & Technical Support
Sony Creative Software Inc
www.sonycreativesoftware.com"
Marc S wrote on 9/4/2009, 7:37 AM
I just received a follow up. Sony is saying this is not a common reported issue so we need more who are having this problem to submit a ticket. I sent them a link to this thread but I'm out of town for the next two weeks so I won't be able to submit my system info until I get back. Thanks.

"Hi Marc,

This is not a common issue and will need to be reported to our engineering staff. I will need more information however to help us reproduce this error from within our testing labs. Please reply with the following pertinent information:

Product Name (include build number):

Other Software Information:

Brief description of problem:

Steps to reproduce:

Attempted Fixes:

Other Problem Information:

Operating System:

Processor:

RAM:

Hard Disk:

Sound Card:

Graphics Card:

OHCI IEEE1394 card:

CD/DVD Burner(s):

Camera(s)/DV Device(s):

Other Relevent System Information:

Once I receive your reply I will forward it to our engineering staff and await their response. When they respond to me I will reply to you with their response.

Sincerely,

Nate P.
Customer Service & Technical Support
Sony Creative Software Inc
www.sonycreativesoftware.com
Mustafa wrote on 9/5/2009, 12:12 AM
Months ago I went through the process of submitting a ticket on this issue, but at the end I was told that since I am (still) running XP---which is as we know not supported for this version---my submission was invalid. Bummer. A good reason to consider upgrading to the soon-to-be-released Windows 7?
Marc S wrote on 9/5/2009, 9:56 PM
"A good reason to consider upgrading to the soon-to-be-released Windows 7?"

It does not work in Windows 7 either. It's definately a bug. Hopefully Sony will get to the bottom of it.
Mustafa wrote on 9/6/2009, 11:13 PM
Hai. I meant in the sense that if I'm running Win7 at least Sony will accept my ticket---with XP I'm user non grata.
farss wrote on 9/7/2009, 1:23 AM
Since when did Win XP and Vegas become an unsupported combination?

This is the first I've heard of this. Win 2K became unsupported with V8, the system requirement for V9 list Win XP as a recommended OS.

Bob.
Mustafa wrote on 9/8/2009, 5:41 PM
Hi, farss. When I originally submitted a ticket for this issue I was told that Windows XP 64-bit is not a supported OS for Vegas 9.0.
albert_kes wrote on 9/8/2009, 6:09 PM
julie @ serviam media, I had a same problem (VP9b - The same error "No compatible video codec was found.
"). Some times tried to keep, then suddenly all has miscalculated without problems.