Scene Detection issue in Version 8

tomadonna wrote on 9/21/2007, 4:12 AM
I'm trying to capture Hdv from my Canon XH A1 into Vegas 8 but when I do, Vegas scene detects every few seconds or so, splitting a couple of minutes footage into dozens (almost a hundred) clips. It acts the same whether I have "scene detection" enabled or not.

This did not occur in V7e or in other third-party software like HDV-Split and Cineform

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

ReneH wrote on 9/21/2007, 4:47 AM
For some reason, I started having scene detection issues since version 7 came out and I had to resort to using Scenalyzer. I have never had a dropped frame issue with that prog.
Sullivan wrote on 9/21/2007, 6:45 AM
I've noticed that capture will also sometimes split a clip if there are dropped frames. Are you showing any dropped frames? Maybe it is a performance problem.

Is your camera connection USB or FireWire? Is there other system or bus activity contending for bandwidth?
tomadonna wrote on 9/21/2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Sullivan,

There are no dropped frames reported, and I'm using a firewire connection. It seems to work fine with Cineform HDLink

I did notice that the preview window plays the video at about 5 fps while capturing, but I don't know if that's related or not...
blink3times wrote on 9/21/2007, 11:44 AM
I've had quite a few problems with scene detection since version 7 ... and in 8 the scenes outright crash the program. I sent some scene detect samples to Sony for some analysis (including parts where scene detect chopped the scenes a few frames late), and Sony said that they see the problems and will issue a fix in the next patch. Now whether this clears up your problem, I'm not sure.... but Sony is aware that there are problems to say the least.

I should also point otu that I DO have your problem with my canon hv20 and HDVsplit... i generate a scene split about every 2 or 3 seconds regardless of the actual scene...so my guess is that it's either canon or the hardware that we are running, or even a combination.
Jeff9329 wrote on 9/23/2007, 10:24 PM
Tom:

Please keep us posted on what you use for scene detection.

I just tried HDVSplit and it works great.

(edited after trying HDVSplit)