SCRIPT increase and decrease the opacity of an image when speaking

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 5:43 AM

I tried to find a plugin that would do an effect like a livestream effect where there is a png of the character and when he speaks the opacity of the character increases to indicate who is speaking at the moment.I asked this elsewhere and one of the comments said "If you could write a Vegas script to take the sidechain output of a compressor and use the presence of audio above a threshold to trigger an effect change (opacity), you'd be all set." When I heard this I tried to create a script for Vegas pro 17 and speed up my work but I was at a dead end where the script didn't work as it should already. It's the second day that I'm trying to make this script but I don't have much skill with programming codes in general so I came up with the idea of coming here to ask about it. Can anyone help me or give me a tip on how to do this script? Anything would help.

Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 9/15/2023, 5:57 AM

@andy-0 It might help if you posted, or made available, what you have done so far. One of our forum scripting experts could then have a look.

Former user wrote on 9/15/2023, 6:31 AM

@andy-0 BCC Beat reactor reacts to sound, there's a mocha mask in each fx that will limit the fx to where you want, if added to one event it would react to all audio, so you'd have to maybe duplicate the events & combine again using masks, then separate the audio of each person in the different events,.. Not sure if you could just add it twice to one event & have each fx in the fx chain only react to either person individually because like i say it would react to all audio. Edit - if each fx in the chain only uses the individual audio AIFF of each person & that fx is masked to just that person it does work,

These are the BCC fxs that have Beat Reactor in them.

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 7:50 AM

@andy-0 BCC Beat reactor reacts to sound, there's a mocha mask in each fx that will limit the fx to where you want, if added to one event it would react to all audio, so you'd have to maybe duplicate the events & combine again using masks, then separate the audio of each person in the different events,.. Not sure if you could just add it twice to one event & have each fx in the fx chain only react to either person individually because like i say it would react to all audio.

These are the BCC fxs that have Beat Reactor in them.

If I had 1 audio track for each participant and an image for each of them and used this separately for each image and audio for a participant, would it work correctly? If so, can you give me a video tutorial or a guide on how to do this for each image and audio of the 3 participants?

Former user wrote on 9/15/2023, 7:59 AM

@andy-0 Hi, I'll see if I can find a clip suitable, 👍

There's some videos on Boris's page about Beat Reactor, the ones i showed above are in the Continuum package & all work in Vegas, in these Boris videos there'll be some that are of a separate Beat Reactor fx that only shows up in Adobe AE & maybe other programs but not Vegas, the principle of it's workings are similar if not the same tho. https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=&search=beat%20reactor

PS forgot to mention you need to create an AIFF that Beat Reactor uses but that can be done with Vegas

When you say 'opacity' do you literally mean you want the others to be 'ghostly'/faded?

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 8:00 AM

@andy-0 It might help if you posted, or made available, what you have done so far. One of our forum scripting experts could then have a look.

I even made a script that tried to do what was requested but I had no luck, I don't know much about programming and something like that and what I had done was done by an AI that had very limited functions regarding scripting for programs and that they didn't work as they should so I don't have the script that I was trying to make work and as was said in the post I came to ask here about someone who knows how to do this automatically or has the script for the same or can write a script that performs this work. But if you want, I can post this script that doesn't work and was made by an AI (certainly the script that the AI ​​made is very basic and simple so don't put too many expectations on it)

jetdv wrote on 9/15/2023, 8:37 AM

@andy-0, are the speaking parts separate events? Or will the script need to "detect" silence?

If they're separate events, this would be a fairly trivial project. If it has to "detect" the silence, it's more complicated but I've already got a script that does something similar to that in the tutorials. Take a look at this tutorial series:

The second video basically does what you're asking. The composite level of the video track is modified based on the volume level of the audio track:

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 10:53 AM

@andy-0, are the speaking parts separate events? Or will the script need to "detect" silence?

If they're separate events, this would be a fairly trivial project. If it has to "detect" the silence, it's more complicated but I've already got a script that does something similar to that in the tutorials. Take a look at this tutorial series:

The second video basically does what you're asking. The composite level of the video track is modified based on the volume level of the audio track:

First of all, thank you very much for your help, I will watch the video. The idea I have is that they are different events where you have an image that has a participant's face and an audio track of the participant's speech and when he spoke this script would detect the audio and adjust the opacity of the image that is associated with the audio to 100% and when he is not saying anything its opacity is at 50%

wwaag wrote on 9/15/2023, 1:28 PM

There's a tool in HOS, Loudness to Opacity which may work for you. Here's a link to a demo.

https://tools4vegas.com/loudtoopacity-demo/

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 5:07 PM

@andy-0 Hi, I'll see if I can find a clip suitable, 👍

There's some videos on Boris's page about Beat Reactor, the ones i showed above are in the Continuum package & all work in Vegas, in these Boris videos there'll be some that are of a separate Beat Reactor fx that only shows up in Adobe AE & maybe other programs but not Vegas, the principle of it's workings are similar if not the same tho. https://borisfx.com/videos/?tags=&search=beat%20reactor

PS forgot to mention you need to create an AIFF that Beat Reactor uses but that can be done with Vegas

When you say 'opacity' do you literally mean you want the others to be 'ghostly'/faded?

something like this is an image with 50% opacity that increases its level to 100% when you speak. I may not have understood very well what you said about 'ghostly'/faded but if you are referring to the photo of the participant which is transparent because of its 50% opacity in its video track and which is solid in the 100% case of its opacity when the participant's audio is detected, then yes, this is the result I am looking for

An example that I can give is in the link below this message where the photo on the left would be the person when the audio is not detected and the one on the right when it is detected that they are speaking

example

andy-0 wrote on 9/15/2023, 5:10 PM

There's a tool in HOS, Loudness to Opacity which may work for you. Here's a link to a demo.

https://tools4vegas.com/loudtoopacity-demo/

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at this tool

wwaag wrote on 9/16/2023, 8:20 AM

@andy-0

There's another tool in HOS called EventDucker that is designed to duck either an audio volume envelope or a video composite envelope. Here's a demo of that tool.https://tools4vegas.com/wp-content/uploads/EventDuckerDemo.mp4

And a screenshot of the dialog.

At the moment, you use an audio control track (e.g. voice overlay) to control the volume envelope of another audio track (e.g. music). For video you use a video control track (e.g. title) to control the opacity of another video track. Both of these are illustrated in the demo.

However, given your problem, it should be fairly easy to add a third mode where the audio control track (voiceover) controls the opacity of the video track. Since I'm always looking for new features for HOS tools, this would seem a worthwhile addition. I had already planned an option to create a new audio file after all silences had been removed from an audio track, another feature that other Vegas users had expressed a need for.

AKA the HappyOtter at https://tools4vegas.com/. System 1: Intel i7-8700k with HD 630 graphics plus an Nvidia RTX4070 graphics card. System 2: Intel i7-3770k with HD 4000 graphics plus an AMD RX550 graphics card. System 3: Laptop. Dell Inspiron Plus 16. Intel i7-11800H, Intel Graphics. Current cameras include Panasonic FZ2500, GoPro Hero11 and Hero8 Black plus a myriad of smartPhone, pocket cameras, video cameras and film cameras going back to the original Nikon S.

wwaag wrote on 9/17/2023, 1:32 PM

Turned out it was pretty easy to add the option to control video opacity from an audio track. Here's the new screengrab.

And a short demo, first showing just audio ducking and then the selected audio track controlling the opacity of the video track. Note the effect of inverting envelope points.

Here's a screengrab with the inner thumbnails removed to better show the resulting envelopes.

Last changed by wwaag on 9/17/2023, 1:53 PM, changed a total of 1 times.