Sharing / Not-sharing

Barry W. Hull wrote on 3/8/2013, 9:55 AM
Maybe this will provide value if someone is experiencing issues with Vegas, something else to consider.

Vegas had been very stable, for years, then, unexpectedly, became very problematic, all the usual stuff. I was able to work with Vegas Pro 12, v394, but not v486 at all. I had one computer, with much of the typical software, Office, etc.

So I bought a new computer solely for editing, the latest and greatest, check out the system specs. Immediately this brand new beast of a machine started having difficult with Vegas, and this machine had nothing on it except Vegas and Vegas related utilities. I was ready to beat Vegas with a stick.

I had shared the two computers through my local network, to ease the transfer of files back and forth. As I was troubleshooting, I noticed something odd in v486. The Explorer feature of Vegas displayed the “My Documents” of the shared computer, not the Documents of the current computer. In all my experience, ever, with computers I have never experienced this behavior. The only way I was able to find the “My Documents” of the current computer was to drill down into the Network directories. Additionally, v486 had all the usual crashes and hang-ups. I spent two days with the entire panoply of suggested fixes, complete uninstall, reinstall, settings, blah blah blah, nothing was working.

I then installed v394 and noticed that the directory structure was now correct. The “My Documents” were for the current machine, not the shared machine. However, I still had all the crashes and hang-ups, blah blah blah.

At the end of my rope, extremely frustrated, after all, I just purchased a new machine for Vegas, grasping at straws, I decided to “un-share” the two machines, since there seemed to be something very odd going on within the directory structure. BAM, problems solved on the new machine, at least for 24 hours, so far. Vegas is lightning fast, the plug-ins work, rendering like a scalded dog, can’t find any problems whatsoever, I’m happy.

Vegas still won't perform in the first computer, but nows performs as it should in the new computer. Of course this might be entirely coincidental, just passing this along as another consideration if you find yourself not knowing what to try next, and you have two computers sharing on a network.

Comments

farss wrote on 3/8/2013, 5:52 PM
All my my computers share networked storage such as NAS boxes plus folders on different machines.
I have noticed even with V9 that Vegas can go to sleep for a long time waiting for attached USB drives to wake up. Windows Explorer itself doesn't suffer from the same problem, it only enumerates drives as required.

It seems to me that Vegas attempts to cache the entire directory structure of every storage device attached to the computer and in my case that's going to be quite likely a significant array of over 100,000 entries. Why it does this escapes me, it uses up memory and slows down the PC for no good reason that I can think of.

Bob.
videoITguy wrote on 3/8/2013, 7:23 PM
For those who are doing Networking of PCs - there are a few questions to be more specific about.
Are you networking by joining a domain with a server, or are you talking peer-to-peer workgroup sharing? What OS is on your server or your initial workgroup class master? What OS is on your client, be they networked domain clients or workgroup peers? How do you initiate sharing - from the server or from the client? All of these questions play a part in what you see a client doing with the shares.

I have run a 1 gig speed network with peer-to-peer established from an XP master and clients with XP and Win98/Win2000 OS. VegasPro 8.0b on all XP clients has never presented a problem.

Bob mentions trying to enumerate connections with USB sleepy drives. not good.... this is why I went to full-speed 24/7 drives that never sleep on all outboard connections fitted with USB3.0 delivery. Again no problem for Vegas Pro 7.0d thru VegasPro 9.0e. All on the sharing network.
Barry W. Hull wrote on 3/9/2013, 6:53 AM
Bob, videoITguy,

You're both already over my head. I have an IT guy who does all the "hooking up", security, etc.

I remember he was in the Computer Management area, set up some "shares", some other things, mapped a directory, I was simply looking over his shoulder.

However, the one thing I did that seemed to be the thing that got Vegas back up and running, I right clicked on the folders in Windows Explorer that I knew were shared, clicked "Advanced Sharing" and then turned it off, unshared it.

Immediately after that, Vegas was working, and has been working ever since. It might be pure coincidence, seems there is some grasping at straws among those with issues. I tend to not believe in coincidences, but you never know. Anyway, after that series of keystrokes, Vegas is running like a champ.
VidMus wrote on 3/9/2013, 8:11 AM
I think this clearly shows that system specs are only the beginning but still helpful.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com/ccm