She's Dead Jim. Vegas 12 Pro... Dead.

TheLaw wrote on 6/27/2015, 11:26 AM
Replaced my CPU for a nice new i7-3770K and the added 15-20% boost. Video driver updated, just stock. Vegas 12 Pro, latest version, is dead. Double click and looks like the program launches... dead. Doesn't load.

- Mobo AS Rock Extreme 4 Gen 3 (latest video drivers used)

- checked to make sure all video drivers updated
- uninstalled and reinstalled as administrator
- launched app as administrator
- uninstalled, rebooted, installed, rebooted, tried to run
- removed the Sony folder that has prior Vegas Pro plugins and other preferences and installed. Still didn't work.

Can't get it to work. Seems that I'm not the only one with similar problems. Problem is that they only thing that fixed it for others is an upgrade to another version of the program. I'm at the latest Vegas 12 Pro version, no prior versions are made available. At this late date it would be ridiculous to upgrade to 13 since I'll be paying for 14 shortly. Question.... what can we do here? This should work.

Comments

astar wrote on 6/27/2015, 11:55 AM
And you reinstalled windows, then installed vegas, and it still does not work? Sounds lke you have corupted windows or a maybe a hacked version.

I would run ccleaner, and uninstall any apps or codec packs or anything you really do not use, and reboot. Run malwarebytes and clean anything out that is found. Apply all windows updates, Reboot. If vegas still will not run after all that, image your harddrive and reinstall windows, apply all updates, then try vegas install.
Byron K wrote on 6/27/2015, 12:15 PM
Bones.... Let's logically step thru this.

Does this happen w/ other apps, specifically apps that require graphic acceleration.

Verify that your version of Vegas 12 is not corrupted. If you haven't already, re-download. Remove and reinstall Vegas 12.

Try installing Vegas 12 on another machine. If it loads and works fine then it may be the hardware.

You may have memory issues. Try re-seating your RAM.

Do a mem test and see if there are errors. If the memory is good you may want to check your video card. I've had cases where the card was DOA and though it could run basic apps when I loaded a game or anything that would require graphic acceleration would crash.

If you know the card and ram are good, re-check the CPU is seated correctly and the heat sink is secured properly. I've had issues w/ mis-aligned heat sink causing the CPU to overheat even though the cooler was nice and cool. I cant recall if the 3770 has pins but verify the pins are not bent on the CPU or socket, Yes, I've bent a pin or 2 in my day, fortunately I was able to use a pair of fine needle nose pliers an un-unbend them and save my CPU! (:

I used to run Vegas 12 Pro on an i7 quad core (now using a hex core) and many here are using quad cores so there may be a deeper issue than Vegas 12 here.

DrLumen wrote on 6/27/2015, 1:57 PM
Does it show as running in the Windows Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL)? Does it show in the Taskbar? If yes, the window may have just gotten moved off screen into no mans land.

Assuming all of the above are true, you can try this to restore it. Do an ALT+Tab until Vegas is active or click on it in the taskbar. Press ALT+Space. Now these you have to do blind.

Down arrow once then Enter.
Now try using the arrow keys to pull the window back into view. Once you can see the cross cursor and the Vegas title bar, move it to where you want and Enter.

This is just a thought as I had something similar a few years ago. I don't remember if it was Vegas specifically or not. However, the app gave all indications that it should be running but was nowhere to be found and otherwise inaccessible. The above steps fixed my issue.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

TheLaw wrote on 6/27/2015, 4:19 PM
1. All software licensed.

2. Only thing changed was CPU from Sandy to Ivy Bridge.

3. I do think the problem started BEFORE the CPU upgrade but can't be 100% sure.

4. Vegas does not start at all. Didn't work in safe mode. Didn't work launching as admin. Does not appear in the task manager as running. It doesn't appear even in working processes.

5. I don't need to test the software in another computer. I'm sure it works. Redownloading and reinstalling didn't work. It doesn't launch at all.

I've seen others have this problem with no solution. I've also heard that if any type of acceleration may have been on, you need to turn it off. But if that was the case (a) there should be a warning message which there isn't; and (b) there is no way to turn off what you can't access any more at this point.

6. No other apps have a problem. I ended up using a competing video software which is actually nicer than I thought. Works very smoothly. The problem is not the RAM or the CPU or the computer. I've checked them all too, including virus, hard disks, RAM, etc.
JJKizak wrote on 6/27/2015, 5:34 PM
20% boost? That spells trouble in my opinion. Those new processors also have a slew of new functions added that require new motherboard drivers. But since I am not a guru you can take this with a grain of salt.

JJK
TheLaw wrote on 6/27/2015, 5:50 PM
The i7-3770K is not "new" processor by any means. It's just a top of the line Ivy Bridge instead of a middle of the line Sandy Bridge and supplies Intel HD 4000 graphics too. This is standard and everything else works. It's definitely Vegas, not the computer or the CPU. As I mentioned, someone suggested that the problem is in Vegas and a setting that can't be adjusted, e.g. the GPU Acceleration bug that others complained about. Might be it but it has taken me down for the count.
musicvid10 wrote on 6/27/2015, 5:50 PM
Vegas registration has a unique machine ID that is hardware-bound.
Contact Customer Service, not Technical Support.

NormanPCN wrote on 6/27/2015, 8:10 PM
I have swapped the motherboard and CPU from under Vegas 12 in a given machine. It just needed to be re-activated since the hardware was changed.

My only thought is to try starting Vegas will ctrl+shift are held down and reset Vegas to default preferences and check the option for Vegas to delete all stored data. Or just plain zap, the Vegas "appdata" folder yourself.
TheLaw wrote on 6/27/2015, 9:24 PM
Thanks. Vegas 12 is hosed. Started using another product because I have a project due and can't screw around any longer with this... crazy.

- Deinstalled.
- Renamed folders - programs, appdata (local and roaming)

Still nothing. Click, does nothing. Something is hidden somewhere and simply will not allow Vegas 12 to launch.
rstrong wrote on 6/27/2015, 11:43 PM
And you did reinstall your OS ??

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

DrLumen wrote on 6/28/2015, 9:54 AM
What OS?

Check the various system logs. There may be an error in the logs that points you to a service that is not starting or a device driver that is not loading correctly.

intel i-4790k / Asus Z97 Pro / 32GB Crucial RAM / Nvidia GTX 560Ti / 500GB Samsung SSD / 256 GB Samsung SSD / 2-WDC 4TB Black HDD's / 2-WDC 1TB HDD's / 2-HP 23" Monitors / Various MIDI gear, controllers and audio interfaces

Geoff_Wood wrote on 6/28/2015, 3:02 PM
Maybe a Win problem (clean re-install ?), or even mobo or memory fault.

V12 worked for me, and most others .

geoff