SImple two-column credits in ProType

Sullivan wrote on 9/20/2007, 7:13 PM
I was happy to see ProType in the V8 upgrade but the first, simple thing I tried to do doesn't seem to work.

The old "Sony Credit Roll" titler has a row type that was two columns, "Dual Item". I have used this A LOT. Usually for two columns, the left one flush-right and the right one flush-left for a constant gutter. This is a very standard credit format.

In ProType, I don't see a way to make two columns like this. I guess you could make two side-by-side text boxes in ProType, but you have to be very careful to synchronize their motion.

From trying to synchronize keyframe motion of video elements in the past, and having the splines go wonky on me, I'm concerned that this won't be as easy as it sounds.

Am I missing a more obvious way to do the two-column thing?

And is there a way to jump to the next/prev keyframe in the timeline? All the controller timelines in the old stuff have a toolbar with next keyframe, prev keyframe, start, end, add keyframe, and delete keyframe buttons. There also seems to be no way to sync the titlers timeline cursor to the main cursor.

Comments

jrazz wrote on 9/20/2007, 7:15 PM
Just a suggestion, but can't you do one column with a space in the middle? That way both credits for that row are effected by the keyframes for the column.

j razz
Sullivan wrote on 9/20/2007, 7:27 PM
Actually, that won't work because the center of the space-band thus created is not centered in the text block unless the two columns are the same width. That is, if the "role" and the "name" aren't the same width, the space between them won't be centered.

And, even if it did, what if you wanted the left column flush-left and the right column flush-right?
TheHappyFriar wrote on 9/20/2007, 8:04 PM
no, you're not missing anything.

but why not use the old credit roll? it's still in there. you don't HAVE to use the new titler.

did what you wanted really easily by making a preset, BUT it's a LOT easier in the normal scrolling credits thing:

EDIT: you can type as much as you want by using ENTER as to keep things cleaner, but i can't find a way to right justify the right side.
xberk wrote on 9/20/2007, 10:44 PM
Good point about not being able to "sync" the titler cursor and the project "timeline" cursor. I can't find any way to do this. Would be very very handy like the"sync" cursor available in pan/crop.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

busterkeaton wrote on 9/20/2007, 10:51 PM
Type up one Column of Credits. Save the preset. Open it and replace the text.....that way the keyframes are the same.

Use Track motion to position one by the other.

but yes, them adding a two-column preset would be best
xberk wrote on 9/20/2007, 10:57 PM
Well - I just tried the "double credit roll" and had no problem doing it.
I created two text boxes. Placed them side by side, one has line alignment "far" (right) and one is aligned "near" (left). The roll is handled by clicking toggle animation button on the transform "y" offset and setting the cursor at the end position of the credit roll.
Do this for each box, lining things up so the paths for each boxes are identical.
I didn't try a long roll or a render -- but I think this is possible and fairly easy.
Am I missing something?

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

Sullivan wrote on 9/21/2007, 6:35 AM
You're not missing anything and I even mentioned this approach in my first post. It's my own bias, I guess.

My fear is that since editing keyframes is not an exact science, (especially since ProType doesn't seem to have a way to place the timeline cursor right on a keyframe) these two textboxes will drift out of sync.

So you're exactly right, but what scares me is making sure the splined interpolation stays "identical" through the editing process.

I have done this same thing - two text boxes - quite a bit in Corel Draw and it always adds up to a hassle to keep them in sync as changes are made. Likewise, I've composited multiple elements in Vegas and tried to move them in sync with keyframe interpolation and had trouble with them drifting out of sync.
TheHappyFriar wrote on 9/21/2007, 6:43 AM
My fear is that since editing keyframes is not an exact science, (especially since ProType doesn't seem to have a way to place the timeline cursor right on a keyframe) these two textboxes will drift out of sync.

Zoom in, the cursor always snaps to frames. but when you make one preset move how fast you want, you duplicate it, move it to the other side via the "X" location, then save it as the second preset. Then they're identical. If you want to use multiple presets you then just stagger the key frames by selecting & moving them. Or you can just keep typing in one preset. Just don't forget to extend the length of the media up top of the media editing window along with dragging out the length, just like the length of the event on the TL.
Sullivan wrote on 9/21/2007, 6:52 AM
Yes, I get it. The suggestion to duplicate through a preset is a good one. Thanks! It's a bit of a hassle to make changes later, and clients *always* have changes to the credits, but duplicating should work every time.

Actually, my cursor does not snap to frames, even if "Quantize to Frames" is selected in the main project timeline. It doesn't snap to keyframes, even if "Snapping" is enabled in the main timeline.

What would be cool would be a "group" entity with it's own keyframable transform properties. Any number of text boxes could have common motion. Like parent/child video tracks in the main timeline.