slideshow jitters...still

dara wrote on 12/7/2004, 7:24 PM
slideshow of 8-20 pics with movement and I'm getting the jitters. I've searched the previous posts and tried a few things, which seems to have really helped, but I'm still not completely satisfied. I guess I want to know if what I want is truly realistic. will my slideshow Ever stop wiggling? And will my pictures Ever look as good as the source pictures???

I select "best"
reduce interlace flicker and
force resample.

Comments

MJhig wrote on 12/7/2004, 7:32 PM
What's the size and format of the stills and what exactly are you rendering to?

MJ
dara wrote on 12/7/2004, 9:05 PM
They're jpegs and I'm rendering to an mpeg-2 to eventually burn to dvd.
MJhig wrote on 12/7/2004, 9:11 PM
Ummm, you didn't answer the image size (pan/crop) nor rendering template setting questions.

The devil's in the details.

MJ
dara wrote on 12/7/2004, 9:40 PM
I'm using the default template and the image size is 720x480. pls forgive my ignorance if that's not the info you were looking for.
thanks
farss wrote on 12/7/2004, 11:19 PM
If you're using the default template for mpeg-2 encoding that's not good, use the appropriate PAL or NTSC template for DVDA.
Once you get that sorted though you will probably still have problems and they're largely the fault of the TV system, fine horizontal fines are a nightmare for video.
One technique I've used is to apply a tiny amount of Gaussian Blur in the vertical direction only, this fattens up the horizontal lines. You may like to apply a tiny amount of unsharpen mask as well, that's AFTER the blur in the chain, to get a hard edge back.
I'll admit though I've had some stills that just didn't want to play nively, tiled roofs cause me grief at times. I think maybe last time I fxed those by opening the still in PS and de-interlacing it. Might seem an odd thing to do to a progressive image but the result is to quickly halve the vertical resolution.
Bob.
DGates wrote on 12/7/2004, 11:34 PM
Also, if you're using large digital files, you can get a flickering effect.

Unless I'm zooming way into or out of a photo, I resize them all to 800x600. Seems to work well that way.
Spot|DSE wrote on 12/8/2004, 6:55 AM
As DGates indicated, if the photos are very high resolution files, such as from a reasonably high end digital still cam, they'll be so high that in dumbing them down to video resolution, you'll still get flicker.
If the images are larger than 1440 x 960, consider resampling them in a photo batch editor.
You can use the Reduce Interlace Flicker found in the properties of the image when it's on the timeline.
Also, adding a touch of Gaussian, using Unsharp Mask set to 001, adding a horizontal blur, these things all help (done one at a time, not as a stack of filters)
Just incase you've got illegal colors happening, you might try adding the Broadcast Filter set to Lenient.