Sony - I Can Not Believe It

Dach wrote on 5/10/2010, 6:49 PM
I recently just finished working on a project that was 18 layers with mixed media ranging from HDV, AVI, MOV,JPEG, EPS, Audio and guess what... wait for it.... wait.... I had absolutely no problems. Vegas delivered!

I know... who cares, but I thought I would change the nature of some of these posts. (Which for those seeking help... posting is a good thing. )

Back to work,

Chad

Comments

TimTyler wrote on 5/10/2010, 7:40 PM
Chad - Probably 98% of the time Vegas is used it works properly, the hardware works properly, and everything is just dandy. It's a waste of everybody's time to start threads like this one.

It's like the people who create Facebook posts like "Going to bed now!" and "Just made a pot of coffee!"

This is the Sony SUPPORT forum. It's a place to seek solutions to problems.
Tattoo wrote on 5/10/2010, 7:54 PM
Tim-

I see your point, but have to disagree a bit with you. This forum is also where smart individuals would go to see what the users think of the product before they plunk their money down on Vegas. In the last year or two I've noticed a lot fewer success stories ("check out my new video ...") and a lot more ranting about problems. No doubt there are more problems, but a lot of them are weird conflicts with individual computers. The general tone of the forum these days makes it sound like Vegas is total shite for anything other than SD, which I don't believe to be the case.

This forum shouldn't be a fanboy-fest, but it's for far more than just problems/solutions. It's also for peer reviews, new ideas, semi-related notices that you'd never know without this forum, and yes, the occasional success story.
goshep wrote on 5/10/2010, 7:58 PM
Sometimes SUPPORT comes in the form of positive feedback amidst the numerous complaints as of late. It's refreshing. You wasted more of your own time by responding to it negatively. Laying into someone over something so trivial is not SUPPORTive.
corug7 wrote on 5/10/2010, 7:59 PM
I for one enjoy a bit of good news now and again. I don't feel as if I've wasted any time reading this post, and apparently it wasn't too much of a waste of TimTyler's time because he found time to post a comment. Sounds like Mr. Tyler needs to seek another trash can to be a grouch in.

And that pot of coffee sounds good, too, but I'm going to bed now.

Corey
L8R wrote on 5/10/2010, 8:02 PM
I agree with Tattoo and Dach...
This is a forum.. there are plenty of SOT or OT on here that you can check out or not. If you don't want to read about success stories... don't. But don't crap on somebody because they did Tim.
I've learned so much on this forum from people's successes and failures.

It is nice Chad when everything runs smooth and renders as it should. Especially when you have a render heavy project.

Cheers and keep posting.
Opampman wrote on 5/10/2010, 8:03 PM
Chad - except for a few time when I do something stupid, the same has been true for me...many, many layers, mixed media, different formats...it has JUST WORKED since version 3. I've used Vegas on a number of boxes from off-the-shelf Dells to my present custom built. Glad to see something other than the newbee complaints for a change.
Steve Mann wrote on 5/10/2010, 8:08 PM
This is the Sony SUPPORT forum. It's a place to seek solutions to problems."

Not quite - Quote from the top of the forum list:
"The Sony Creative Software discussion forum is a peer support area where you can share tips and advice with other Sony Creative Software product users. We monitor these boards periodically. However, if you require immediate technical support, please choose from the options on our Support Home Page."

Chad - those people who are having chronic issues using Sony Vegas are really pretty small in number. There are several hundred users registered here, and the complainers number at most a dozen or so.
Editguy43 wrote on 5/10/2010, 8:15 PM
Maybe Tim has never had a project make it to the finish line, and he is a bit angry. :-)
It is nice to hear that there is sucess in Vegas and that heavy work can be done, there is sometimes much to much negitive here, and it can discourage some from trying to create a big project in Vegas.
So hearing someone make it work is GREAT, and more need to be posted to make it clear that Vegas is a VIABLE choice as an NLE.

Just my thought take them or leave them...

PaulB
Sab wrote on 5/10/2010, 8:58 PM
I'm with you Chad. I've thrown everything I can think of at Vegas (insert joke) and it worked with very few exceptions since V3. It is refreshing to hear something positive now and again. Thanks for that.

Mike
John_Cline wrote on 5/10/2010, 9:03 PM
"There are several hundred users registered here, and the complainers number at most a dozen or so."

I would think there are probably several thousand registered forum users but your dozen complainers figure is fairly accurate.
BudWzr wrote on 5/10/2010, 9:51 PM
Don't forget the old school curmudgeons too.
Rory Cooper wrote on 5/10/2010, 9:58 PM
I agree with Tim ….This is a SUPPORT forum.

Hi my name is Rory and I am a Sony Vegas addict, it all started when I thought I would try it only once….bla,bla,bla
John_Cline wrote on 5/10/2010, 11:31 PM
Oh, no, not again! Don't bother, I'll just ban myself....
FilmingPhotoGuy wrote on 5/11/2010, 1:22 AM
Actually I'm offended by the "I can't believe it" caption as if it wasn't going to work notion. This is Sony Vegas man! It doesn't work on faith. Although we are disciples of Vegas and religiously follow SV all the way up to the latest upgrades, it doesn't work on a belief system. Now send me the VEG and tell me how you did it ;))

BTW John LOL
Rob Franks wrote on 5/11/2010, 3:53 AM
"Chad - Probably 98% of the time Vegas is used it works properly,"

Agreed.
I edit mostly avchd now (some of it even with 5.1 sound) and other than the slower preview problem (which has gotten slightly better with 9d), I rarely have issues at all. Even when I was doing HDV the problems were few and far between.

There are a rather small handful of people on this forum (same ones over and over) who make things seem much worse than they are.
apit34356 wrote on 5/11/2010, 3:56 AM
"Oh, no, not again! Don't bother, I'll just ban myself.... " !!!!!! ;-) Great response with humor! ;-) And thanks Chad for the positive note, its a little tiring reading FCP promoters nay saying vegas or injecting FCP in random topics.
kkolbo wrote on 5/11/2010, 4:40 AM
>>>>I agree with Tim ….This is a SUPPORT forum.

Hi my name is Rory and I am a Sony Vegas addict, it all started when I thought I would try it only once….bla,bla,bla <<<<

Hi, my name is Keith and I have been a Vegas addict since Video Factory 1.

I currently run 14 stations with Vegas on a daily basis. I have one problem for every 20+ that the FCP group near by does. Granted, some of those in the FCP group are hardware failures on a regular basis, but I like being able to get the project done day after day.

Success is not inappropriate for these forums.
BudWzr wrote on 5/11/2010, 5:48 AM
Yes, the Apple "fanboi's" often cloak themselves as normal PC people because the latest "I'm a PC" ads are so cool and hip, and that's a magnet for them.
dlion wrote on 5/11/2010, 7:03 AM
i've had great success with vegas, been an evangelist since 1.1. i've also been victim of some vegas issues in the past - looking back, the problems were related to trying to edit hdv on an underpowered system.

i recently got a new laptop w/win 7 64. installed vegas 64 and, knock on wood, everything is running fine, including mov files from my canon t2i.

back in the sonic foundry days, we were like a small group of elite friends in the know, harboring a well-kept secret. now, it is clear that scs has issues in development methodology and testing that have had a drastic effect on the product. to make it worse, they have refused to involve the user community, US, except as after-the-fact beta testers for our hard earned dollars.

i hope they'll wake up and address the stability issues long before adding features to "keep up with fcp and avid," a losing proposition at best.
BudWzr wrote on 5/11/2010, 8:23 AM
I'm impressed with the number and depth of raw creative tools. It's clear that Vegas Pro is first and foremost a core CREATIVE tool in the same league as PhotoShop, CorelDraw, and Director.

As far as stability, all software crashes from time to time, even Windows itself and webservers. There's no such thing as bulletproof.
gpsmikey wrote on 5/11/2010, 9:12 AM
Well, I just got out of bed, I HAVE had my pot of coffee and so far for me, Vegas has worked well. Last project was a video slideshow of my Daughters soccer team. Built the slide show portions in Photodex Producer, brought the uncompressed avi files into Vegas, added more stuff and transitions and built the DVD ISO. All worked well. Only problems were directly related to "operator error" :-) And, yes, positive feedback is good - as another poster commented one of the first things I do when I am considering buying a complex piece of software is look at what support forums are out there and what the user community thinks of the software (and all software has some issues. Remember - "it's very difficult to make things foolproof - fools are so ingenious! " )

mikey
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 5/11/2010, 11:19 AM
Ever since I upgraded to 9d, which was the day it came out, I've made $18,000 with Vegas.