Sony Sound fx library vs Digital Juice?

ken c wrote on 3/3/2006, 6:46 AM
Hi, anyone have this yet?
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=1001&FeatureID=8431

I bought DigitalJuice.com's soundfx library when it was first released and found it to be very well organized, lots of clips, including VO announcer type tracks, in addition to the foley/fx stuf...

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=160

appreciate any comments re what's best...

so far, I like DJs' products best

ken

speaking of creative stuff, for a really cool inventive flash site, see:
http://www.agencynet.com (not mine)

Comments

tkalvey wrote on 3/3/2006, 8:24 AM
Should Stack Traxx be a contender for my $$?
Coursedesign wrote on 3/3/2006, 8:32 AM
The Sony library is very high quality.

The Digital Juice library seems to be more versatile, but it also costs 3x as much.

jkrepner wrote on 3/3/2006, 8:46 AM
Ken, I have the first Sony set and have been very happy with it so far. The quality is excellent and the range is impressive.

How is the Digital Juice stuff? The thing that the Sony set is missing is "swish and swoosh" sounds for zooming in titles and graphics. My understanding is that Digital Juice has wide range of those.

Of course, I make my own "swoosh" sounds by slowing down jet sounds and what not, but I'd like to have some more built in.

Thanks.

Jeff

Edit: POOP! I didn't realize that link was to the 2nd volume. Looks cool. I'll have to get it. I mean, "once you get locked into a serious [drug] collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
kkolbo wrote on 3/3/2006, 3:19 PM
I was bouncing that choice around for about a month. Here is my personal take. Your mileage may vary.

DJ's is the same cost as Sony's 1 and 2 together. They both seem to have equal amount at that point.

DJ's has a nice variety, but I do not need the musical cues because I have other resources that are better. I do not need most of the V/O stuff either.

DJ's demo DVD made my stomach turn. The example sections were poorly mixed. That is not a good way to show that your FX are high quality. From that I queationed the libs' quality. The Backroads piece was nice (Yea Eric!) and the DJ comic piece was not too bad.

The Sony demo's that I heard were first quality. Some of the effects I recognized personally and I know the folks that made then. These are truely from the Sony vaults and the companies that have done sound design for them.

The index for DJ is a nice plus. I wonder if Sony has done one for the media manager in Vegas or ACID. A searching index for SFX is a real plus.

In the end I recalled that now ONE lib is going to fill your needs. Like stock music I find that a little from here and a little from there is good.

I decided to go with the Sony libs. Not having both in hand to judge for real, from the samples and such, I just feel like I am going to get better quality audio (a subjective thing for sure) with the Sony libs. DJ has yet to impress me with their audio stuff. On the other hand, the animation stuff stands alone.
Coursedesign wrote on 3/3/2006, 4:16 PM
The thing that the Sony set is missing is "swish and swoosh" sounds for zooming in titles and graphics.

Sony FX Vol. 2 has 17 swooshes, called whooshes in the full TOC downloadable at the product link.

Also has two "actual spider hisses." Can't beat that!

:O)

The DJ video demo really was mixed incompetently, terrible work (and the presenter should have gotten some more media training also).