Sony Sound FX vs Digital Juice Sound FX

gordyboy wrote on 12/13/2006, 5:05 AM
What's best? Both have keen pricing deals at the moment - Sony have a $100 discount bringing the 10CD box to $399. DJ is $249.

As I am in the UK, with import duties and shipping, there's only about £60 difference between the two.

Which is likely to be the most versatile collection? I like the DJ themes as they are aimed fair and square at production but a lot of the Human voices stuff will be of no use to me here in the UK.

Any views? I've got loads of BBC SFX discs but nothing else.

Thanks

gb

Comments

farss wrote on 12/13/2006, 5:17 AM
I believe the Sony ones to be very good, contains foley from the vaults of their movie devision(s) as well as a whole bag of other goodies.
ken c wrote on 12/13/2006, 6:40 AM
I've used the DJ ones extensively - I found Digital Juice's products to be excellent compared to others on the market, especially for RF audio/video.

For FX, also check out the www.sound-ideas.com ones, they've got great quality.
(the sales rep I've worked with there is named "Glen Campbell", ask for him if you want, he's been good to work with, I've bought 4 compilations from them so far, this past month/ 1-800-387-3030x226).

For the value, DJ has a great product (and value), plus a stunningly large collection. The sound-ideas.com cds are also top quality.

It's always great to have a huge RF library to choose from, I recommend previewing and buying from a lot of vendors, and investing in your a/v collection, for use in various video projects.

Having a wide palette of RF audio/video content is a huge asset, and gives me peace of mind, so I have a larger collection to choose from, to get "the feel" right, for video production, tailored to specific client/customer needs.

Ken
Jimmy_W wrote on 12/13/2006, 7:11 AM
I have both libraries and while both are great I find the DJ library to be more useful.
and searching sounds by keywords in the juicer is a snap. If I had chose between the two again, I most likely would not have bought the Sony library at all. Don't get me wrong, the Sony library is top notch. I just find the DJ library easier to find sounds I need and the quality is great.
Jimmy
ken c wrote on 12/13/2006, 9:42 AM
In auditing Sony's sound effects and music libraries, I have found them inferior to many other vendors, like Digital Juice, who have superb quality.

After listening to previews of all of sony's loops/acid stuff, I have concluded that it is simply not what I need. There are many many better vendors out there for RF a/v content, and digital juice is the top of the list.

other good outfits include:

sound-ideas.com,
studiocutz.com,
stockmusic.net
musicbakery.com
fotosearch.com

and virtually everyone else who sells rf audio has been more suitable to my needs than anything sony has to offer in this category. sony's audio content library is simply not up to the same standards as these other producers have.

That's the good news; the challenge is, making time to listen to all those flash preview audio clips on everyone's sites, very time consuming. I've spent much of this past month on all the various sites that sell rf a/v content.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-18,GGGL:en&q=royalty+free+music

Ken
LynxFX wrote on 12/13/2006, 11:04 AM
I've been using the DJ library for almost a year now and love it. Incredible collection, especially for $250. All high quality, including some great LFE stuff that I haven't seen in any other collection. It doesn't have everything, but what sfx library does? At the current price though, DJ is a no brainer.
McVid wrote on 12/13/2006, 11:18 AM
The sample CD sent along with Vegas 7 shows that the Sony FX are top-notch. Very clean and vibrant.
deusx wrote on 12/13/2006, 3:27 PM
You can never have enough of these. <plug>We sell ours for $29 and it has almost 900 soundFX and 750 loops. Most of the loops will not be for video guys, because they are shorter and designed for web use, but there are some newer longer ones that have been used on various tv shows. Sound effects on the other hand can be used by anybody.

Some ambient loops like here http://www.deusx.com/scifi.html for example are useful too , just mouseover / click on little screens and dots to trigger some effects

http://www.deusx.com/baseball/ crowd noises, and some country loops.

All sounds and voices are original, just the guy yelling "home run" is not included..</plug>
DGates wrote on 12/13/2006, 3:51 PM
Another route to go is ala carte. You can purchase individual tracks at sounddogs.com. Instead of buying hundreds of different tracks that you may or may not use, just pay for what you need. Most tracks are in the $5-$7 range. You can download a low-quality version, then buy the high-quality track if need be.

gordyboy wrote on 12/14/2006, 2:27 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback - I've just ordered the DIgital Juice SFX collection - I still hope to get the Sony set next year.

Never been too impressed with Sounddogs - I have used the freesound project which is a free web community based archive of sounds, location recordings and abstract musical elements. I highly recommend this site but like Ken pointed out, you can spend hours trawling through sites looking for something usable and time, as we all know, is money.

Cheers

gb