Sony Support...

Marc S wrote on 12/23/2014, 12:00 PM
is really non-existent these days. I just received a response to the ticket I submitted on November 7th. To add insult to injury they did not even respond to my problem other than asking me why I was using the feature I was having problems with (32 bit mode). Most of the times I've dealt with support in the past they don't seem to even know how to use the program and I have to really push to get them to understand my software issues.

Perhaps the writing is on the wall concerning the future of Vegas.

Comments

teaktart wrote on 12/23/2014, 12:09 PM
6 weeks to get a lousy response???
Why do they even offer 'support' when there is none to offer ?
Leaving your customers with no answers to what may be bugs in their own software?
That's unacceptable Sony !!!

eileen
David Johns wrote on 12/24/2014, 7:04 AM
I just received a response dated 10pm on December 22nd, stating that if I didn't respond within 48 hours - ie over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day - then they would assume the issue was dealt with and close it! Nice work, Sony. Luckily, I am around to respond and keep it open :-)

Dave
CJB wrote on 12/24/2014, 9:56 AM
Let's be fair.... I have received similar response letters from NewBlueFX and Red Giant. It seems to be an industry standard approach. I don't like it, especially when they can close their support ticket if they respond with "Yes it is a problem - there are no planned fixes for this version." By the way, every IT dept. I've worked with over the past 10 years does it this way. SCS is not alone in this.
wwjd wrote on 12/24/2014, 10:19 AM
I manage IT support at my company and MY standard is response within an hour (but usually more like minutes).... or 24 hours at the LATEST to at least acknowledge an issue. Users are very happy.
But yes, some companies don't do so well. -- probably way short staffed.
NormanPCN wrote on 12/24/2014, 11:31 AM
This has been my experience with SCS support as well. Typical 1-2 month response time and the response is reinstall or uninstall other applications which may be interfering with Vegas. Support even once asked me to uninstall .NET, and Vegas uses .NET. I have also been asked to uninstall a Wacom tablet driver and I do not have such a product or driver installed. A response like that just checks off another month or so.

With support tickets that go on over 8 months, SCS support does not seem to read the ticket history when responding. I have been asked to do the same thing by SCS support in the same ticket.

SCS support cannot debug their way out of a paper bag. Maybe they can handle "How do I' stuff, but I have only reported "this crashes Vegas" or "this result is corrupted" type things with example VEG projects most times.

It is pathetic that we must respond in 48 hours, where they might take months to respond. With such a long response time from SCS we might be away from keyboard by the time they do respond.
Paul Fierlinger wrote on 12/24/2014, 12:01 PM
Not all companies are alike. I invite you to visit TVpaint's user group and you will see how responsive the developers are to complaints and requests for future features and also how supportive of each other the users themselves are. The company is small and lives in Metz, France, but many of us from all over the world have met with some of the developers personally as they have visited us in our home studios or we have met with them at animation events everywhere throughout the years. If you do go there at:
http://forum.tvpaint.com/index.php
browse quickly and at random through all the fora and notice how many avatars depicting cows you will see present in almost all of the threads; each one of them represents a member of the development crew, the management, or the sales force. We all know their names and the names of members of the beta team are not kept secret -- on the contrary, they are also listed on the credits in the Help>about tab of the software.
EDIT: I almost forgot to mention that this software has functioned in this manner for 20 years now and is the world's oldest animation software in continuous development.

Marc S wrote on 12/26/2014, 4:46 PM
Just wanted to add that the tech guy from Sony said the reason he asked why I was using 32bit was because he wanted to know what my source footage was. So he was not as clueless as I originally implied. That said 1.5 months to answer a tech question is pretty useless to me. I found a workaround to the bug and moved on long before getting a response.
cbrillow wrote on 12/28/2014, 7:29 AM
My experience with the tech support of most software and ISP/web hosting services has been similarly miserable. This includes SONY, who did respond, albeit slowly and mostly unhelpfully, in the one instance I contacted them several years ago.

My biggest gripe is that the techs who respond to issues don't seem to read the entire message about the issue, replying with a batch of mostly-useless suggestions that are often steps I've already taken and mentioned in my original message/request.

I try to be very thorough, accurate and clear, citing as much relevant information about my problem, its symptoms, and what I've tried to resolve the issue prior to contacting them. To wait two weeks or more for a response that ignores the fact that I've already done what they suggest, is infuriating. I address any questions asked and supply additional information, if it is requested.

I haven't had to contact many companies for support, but of all the companies I've dealt with, CoffeeCup, a vendor of web-authoring and related internet software, is easily the most responsive of any I've encountered. Knowledgeable company reps frequent their user-based community forums daily, sometimes even on major US holidays, with general suggestions for users having difficulty with their software. In the event the user doesn't receive helpful information to resolve the issue, it's suggested that he/she open a support ticket. And these support tickets are responded to very quickly, often the same day they're opened.

It may come as a surprise that I don't have a very good relationship with CoffeeCup, given the foregoing praise. But I have to be fair and recognize that they support the purchasers of their product better than any software vendor or online tech support service I'd had to deal with.
Marc S wrote on 12/28/2014, 10:56 AM
Well put, my experience exactly. In the past I've usually ended up making a video demonstrating my problem in order to get support to understand what I'm talking about. Otherwise I usually get canned answers and useless workarounds.
set wrote on 12/28/2014, 4:04 PM
SCS need to improve this side... seriously...

Got the same experience just like cbrillow for my hosting company, they respond extremely quick, and give help to the point... and give calm.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

PeterDuke wrote on 12/28/2014, 5:44 PM
I have never sought help from SCS because of the magnificent support on this forum. But I have sought help, or more often reported what seem to be bugs, with several other companies and I get the impression I am talking to a machine, with a limited list of responses all aimed at fobbing me off.
skosh wrote on 12/28/2014, 9:08 PM
Unfortunately the industry standard for support is just canned answers and assumptions that the user does not know what they are doing.Having to provide a video seems a bit extreme as they should have the ability to see you reproduce the issue by sharing the desktop. It is very strange that this is not utilized even though it has been around for ages.
ushere wrote on 12/28/2014, 9:56 PM
in general, no matter what the problem might be, with whatever software, the advice i used to receive was - un/reinstall program, and if that didn't work, reinstall os.

i've found more help and good advice on forums (especially this one!) than i have ever had from ANY software manufacturer.