sot: came and went in the blink of an eye...

Comments

Grazie wrote on 8/29/2012, 3:52 AM
1] No, I didn't forget about 16, I just thought nobody would've believed me. My dad had one, it was about 3" across.

2] And I knew the recurring, 33.333 . . . . .

I heard about the following last year and was stunned. The invention of the Phonautograph, by a one Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville, patented in France on the 25 March 1857. He was actually looking for a way to do a direct method of creating a stenograph-like machine that would be activated by the human voice. He wanted this as a complete and actual record of the spoken word.

Fascinating . . . .

Grazie
farss wrote on 8/29/2012, 4:08 AM
"Seems that a large number of us are shooting HD, how is it being distributed? YouTube?"

Sure is for me, cannot even get them to watch Vimeo.

I have given some a H.264 file, most TVs and BD players have a USB port and from that the TV / BD player plays just about anything. I haven't tried this as yet but I know of no reason why using a fast USB drive we couldn't deliver higher quality than BD is capable of to our clients.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 8/29/2012, 4:25 AM
Do we think the "immersive" experience is falling away? All that craft we've all accrued to get THE experience for our clients, and it ends up on YT, 'cos that's ONLY what the clients want.

My last 2 jobs:

DVD x 1,500
DVD x 5,000

Do they want a YT option too? I know the second group want it.

Grazie

DGates wrote on 8/29/2012, 4:34 AM
It doesn't have to be one OR the other. Blu-ray OR YouTube.

Most astute businesses will try and cover ALL bases. DVD, Blu-ray, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It's silly to pigeonhole yourself to just one option. I do a lot of weddings. The clients get the Blu-rays/DVD's, and their friends can watch the Vimeo clips. Eazy Pezy.
JJKizak wrote on 8/29/2012, 7:03 AM
What's Vimeo? Sorry for the dumb question but I am getting old.
JJK
rs170a wrote on 8/29/2012, 7:32 AM
http://vimeo.com/ is an alternative to YouTube.

Mike
Opampman wrote on 8/29/2012, 7:50 AM
First summer job in the early 60's while a college student was maintaining a kinescope recorder and Ampex 2" quad. Oh, those were the days.

Kent
Serena wrote on 8/29/2012, 7:51 AM
>>>it was about 3" across<<<

That must have been a special issue. A friend of mine, who is what we used to call a "record producer", made a commercial hit with party music albums on 12 inch 16.666rpm disks; obviously it was music people liked, but the sales pitch was the running time. But otherwise I don't think the 16rpm was popular.
JJKizak wrote on 8/29/2012, 11:34 AM
Oh yes, I remember now, those huge records that Granpa used to play.
JJK
Grazie wrote on 8/29/2012, 12:00 PM
DGates:

"It doesn't have to be one OR the other. Blu-ray OR YouTube. " Yeah . . . , and ?

"Most astute businesses . . . . " I deal with who I deal with. I think that's being astute.

" . . will try and cover ALL bases. " My client wants apples, I don't give 'em pears.

"It's silly to pigeonhole yourself to just one option. " - Unless that's JUST what the client wants. " . . . silly"? - I really don't get that one . . It's the client that wants the Xk runs of DVDs not I.

"I do a lot of weddings." I don't do any.

"The clients get the Blu-rays/DVD's, and their friends can watch the Vimeo clips. Eazy Pezy." - So, that's your biz - good for you.

Cheers,

Grazie
Chienworks wrote on 8/29/2012, 1:18 PM
We should be willing to deliver what a clients want, within reason, and within our capabilities. To think that others' capabilities and clients' desires should be determined by our own is a fallacy.

Just a couple weeks ago i had a client ask if she could get her copy on VHS instead of DVD because she's never figured out how to get a DVD player connected to her TV, and the old VHS player that her kids bought for her 20 years ago is still working fine. I said i'd be happy to, but that i'd also be happy to stop by her house and connect her DVD player for her if she wished. She said that would be delightful, although she still doubts she'll ever learn how to make the thing work even if it is connected and functional.

Know your clients. If it makes good sense, do what they want.
MUTTLEY wrote on 8/29/2012, 1:59 PM
HappyFriar - "Saying BD is dead because Sony stops selling PC consumer hardware is like saying video is like saying OS GUI's are dead because Xerox doesn't develop them any more.Saying BD is dead because Sony stops selling PC consumer hardware is like saying video is like saying OS GUI's are dead because Xerox doesn't develop them any more."

I listed a whole lot more reasons in the other thread I linked to, felt it would be redundant to copy paste my entire response from over there.

Grazie regarding DGates, agree on all points. DGates, though I can totally appreciate how you do your business and what services you provide it has little or nothing to do with the topic. Obviously we have different clientele, as I've cited elsewhere I have yet to be asked if I could provide a copy of anything I've done on a Blu-ray. No, I don't do weddings. I really am confused by your post as it seems to imply that not offering Blu-ray is some kind of shortcoming. "Most astute businesses will try and cover ALL bases. DVD, Blu-ray, YouTube, Vimeo, etc." I guess I'm not astute. "It's silly to pigeonhole yourself to just one option." I guess I'm silly.

Again, what works for you and your clients is between you and them and if that's what they want, by all means go for it.

I create videos, 99.999% of the time that's where my job ends. I give them a digital copy and they can choose what to do with it. I direct, I shoot, I edit. On a small handful of occasions I've been asked to author a DVD, sometimes I will, sometimes I won't, depends on the project, but that's not the bread and butter of my business nor why people hire me. Certainly I could "expand" and incur further expenses. I could probably go around and buy up many of the old media players that have been mentioned in this thread so I could also offer transfer services, I do get a decent amount of calls to do that. I could buy DVD and Blu-Ray duplicators to save them the trouble of finding someone else. I could offer to do their cover art, buy a real nice printer and take care of their packaging. Perhaps I could buy some kind of plastic injection molding machine so I could make my own DVD/Blu-Ray cases so I don't have to get them from elsewhere. Oh, and a shrink wrap machine, gotta have one of those. I could also get a warehouse and then I could pick/pack/and ship my clients projects, well not me, but you know, the warehouse employees I'm going to hire. Maybe start a new website where they can sell them from. I could get a team of web designers should they want a custom site. Wow, I'm going to have to get a bigger office!

You can wear whatever hats you want and I'm not gonna judge ya for it. But to try to imply that what services I or others offer is somehow less, that were not "astute", that were "silly" ... well sir, that's just dumb if not offensive.

- Ray
Underground Planet
MarkWWW wrote on 8/29/2012, 2:21 PM
No RCA Cart?
No Elcaset?
No DCC?
No MiniDisc?
No DAT?
No ADAT?
No DA-88?

How soon we forget.

Mark

wwjd wrote on 8/29/2012, 2:26 PM
I'm not going online and logging in just to watch quality hi-def. Not at this point anyway. Probably, yes in the future. But blu is alive and well and the best there is right now so I am stocking up and enjoying immensely

movies on a stick replaced bluray 4 years ago? = joke
HD movies streaming reaplacing bluray = not good enough for ME yet
insert other hopeful medium... Ultraviolet, anyone? = still not there

when better comes, I'll adapt. But not until better comes.
robwood wrote on 8/29/2012, 4:28 PM
i use DVD and BD for delivery monthly and my ADAT once a month via lightpipe.
Chienworks wrote on 8/29/2012, 5:10 PM
You do realize that at some point in the not too distant future, all tape-based playback drives will become moot. We'll merely slide the tape (ANY format from any era) into the magnetic resonance scanner and it will read the entire contents of the tape as a 3D digital pattern. The scanner software will then figure out what format, analog or digital, in how many tracks is on the tape, virtually unspool it, and build a new raw digital audio/video file from that pattern. And it will probably all happen in a couple of minutes, even for 120 minute tapes.

Just think, we'll be able to rescue that 60 year old reel of soaked, rotting, mold covered tape without ever unspooling it!

The Smithsonian is already doing something similar to this for pre-Edison disk records, reading the groove optically and making a digital pattern from it. Some of the old disks wouldn't survive a contact reading, but they're restoring 130+ year old recordings with remarkable fidelity without ever touching the disk.
ushere wrote on 8/29/2012, 6:21 PM
Just think, we'll be able to rescue that 60 year old reel of soaked, rotting, mold covered tape without ever unspooling it!

just to watch the rotted, moldy, garbage on it ;-)
Laurence wrote on 8/29/2012, 6:37 PM
Just looking over the original article tells me that only the division of Sony that makes Bluray drives for PC is ending. Sony will continue to manufacture and promote Bluray video players.
Former user wrote on 8/29/2012, 6:46 PM
Chienworks,

I had been wondering if this technology existed. It seemed like a logical use of laser technology, to read the grooves.

Glad to hear they are doing that.

Dave T2
JJKizak wrote on 8/29/2012, 6:54 PM
Someone was trying to do this commercially but the rumors said the laser picked up everything including the kitchen sink.
JJK
PeterDuke wrote on 8/29/2012, 7:45 PM
"the laser picked up everything including the kitchen sink."

Well scan it in the bedroom :) (or a black box).