SOT: Finally did it... NAS

Xander wrote on 12/15/2007, 8:11 PM
After about 10 months of deliberation, I finally took the plunge and bought some Network Attached Storage (NAS). Got the Thecus N5200 PRO with 5 X Hitachi 1TB Harddrives. After 6 hours, it is still building the RAID 5, but I can already start copying my files to it - getting 20 MB/s throughput. Should be quicker once the RAID 5 build is finished. GigE on both ends.

I have been concerned about backups for months. DVDs and DVD DL are just too small/slow for projects nowadays. Bluray is just to expensive. Standalone Harddrives - too worried about failures, hence the RAID 5 system - a good balance.

As a bonus, my USB printer can now be accessed from both my PC and laptop. The unit includes a USB print server, so is now accessible over IP.

Not sure how many people run NAS, but so far I am impressed.

Comments

farss wrote on 12/15/2007, 8:39 PM
I've also got the Thecus 5200 but only 400GB Samsung drives. It's been running for a long time now without any issue. The thing just works and it's very handy. Recently client wanted to resurrect a project after 2 years and I found I still had the files on a HDD in the back of the cupboard. For safety I just copied the whole thing to the 5200.
Grazie wrote on 12/15/2007, 11:26 PM
Bob, http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=608189this puppy?[/link]
farss wrote on 12/16/2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah.
There's two variants of the beast, one has a router the other not. I got the one with the router cheaply as an ex demo unit. Given the choice get the vanilla model without the router.

Given your timely advice above to Patryk, that's where these things shine. If I had a >$10K project I'd have the whole thing backed up onto my 5200. If something blows up I can switch to another PC very quickly and continue editing. You are permitted 3 installs of Vegas, it makes sense to use them.

Bob.
Grazie wrote on 12/16/2007, 1:01 AM
If I had a >$10K project . . . If something blows up I can switch to another PC very quickly and continue editing.

Yes, hopefully we live and learn. These things are not just sent to try us - with a bit of support we can ALSO become more comfortable in the way we work.

Non router huh?

Tnaks - Grazie
UlfLaursen wrote on 12/16/2007, 10:41 AM
This device looks nice indeed.

I just have a D-link dual HDD device with raid 1 (mirror) on 2 drives, but with GLan, and I love it. the concept is great to be able to access all data from every PC.

Do you guys access and use the drive for media and also render via LAN?

/Ulf
wafalcon wrote on 12/17/2007, 4:39 PM
Wow, I see that some of the member of this forum have Thecus N5200.

I have been trying to connect my printer to it but have not succeeded. Can someone please tell me how to setup a print server with this unit?

I will appreciate any help.
UlfLaursen wrote on 12/17/2007, 8:37 PM
Hi Wfalcon,

I think this is describet on page 19 and 20 in the manual:

http://www.thecus.com/download/manual/N5200QIG/N5200_QIG_V10_B.pdf

Looks quite easy, but might not be...

/Ulf