Sound editing help

gary-kohout wrote on 1/2/2012, 10:03 AM
Hello all. New to the forums here, and just getting started on video editing. My daughter and one of here friends did a little video clip and in some of the footage, you can hear a high pitched whine from the mic. When I look at the audio effects in VMS, it is like reading a different language to me. Have tried a few with no luck. Any advice on how to take out the high pitched whine would be much appreciated!
Gary

Comments

Chienworks wrote on 1/2/2012, 10:07 AM
If it's a narrow frequency band (that is, the whine is pretty much restricted to a very narrow range of notes), the equalizer would be your best bet. Process / EQ / graphic EQ. You can try pulling down some of the bands until you find one that cuts down on the whine.
musicvid10 wrote on 1/2/2012, 10:46 AM
Render out 30 sec. of the audio in WAV format, upload it somewhere, and let some of the regulars here try their hand at EQ'ing it.
gary-kohout wrote on 1/2/2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys. I tried some EQ stuff, but haven't found the sweet spot. Here's a link to a short clip of the audio if anyone wants to play with it. Sure appreciated it.

http://www.snapshotsniper.com/Whine.wav

Gary
EGS wrote on 1/2/2012, 11:22 AM
As Chienworks said, it's probably a narrowish frequency band. Insert a parametric EQ. Set the Q (bandwidth) to a very narrow notch. Set the gain to full boost. Gradually sweep the frequency until the whine is dramatically boosted. You have now located the frequency in question. Instead of boosting it, now just cut this frequency back. You might want to widen the Q a bit at this point. If you still hear a whine, you might try another notch EQ at double that frequency, and also at half that frequency. Hope this helps !!!
Steven Myers wrote on 1/2/2012, 11:43 AM
7,882 Hz. To a lesser amount, 15,764 Hz.
gary-kohout wrote on 1/2/2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys! Wish I knew just half of what you guys know about sound. I set it like this based on Steven's numbers, and it is much better. Was this the right way to go about it?

http://www.snapshotsniper.com/EQ.jpg

Gary
EGS wrote on 1/2/2012, 12:20 PM
Well, you used a graphic EQ instead of a parametric. A parametric EQ allows you to very precisely adjust frequenct and Q (i.e. bandwidth). Try my method of sweeping the frequency using a parametric, as described above. If Steven has not actually heard the clip in question, he is at best guessing that those are the precice frequencies.
gary-kohout wrote on 1/4/2012, 1:21 PM
ESG,
I see what you mean now. Did the parametric and put the sound in a loop and then held the right arrow key down to run through the frequency, but didn't see a huge noticeable difference for some reason. I did notice that the whine is the only thing pretty much on the right channel in those clips, so I just turned the right channel off in those. That "fixed" this, but I'll keep your method in mind for the next sound issue I run into.

Thanks again top everyone for your input.
Gary
amendegw wrote on 1/4/2012, 1:59 PM

...Jerry

Edit: I only have Vegas Pro, but I'm pretty sure this works in Movie Studio: right click audio event -> Channels -> Left Only.

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9