_split audio_

Earl_J wrote on 3/24/2011, 9:02 PM
My good video friend from Florida emails me about not being able to split a stereo audio he imported. I send him the usually expected split function (select, letter U, and edit) ... it does not work. I get home and try it myself with a captured piece of audio from a CD ... I get the same result.
I can see both tracks - but only a single track header . . .
Gee whiz ... I pull in a video I recorded myself in VP 9.0 and the same thing happens...
It comes in one track and I cannot select either channel to edit on its own. . .

What is going on?

Any suggestions, solutions, recommendations, or comments?

Until that time ... Earl J.

Comments

Former user wrote on 3/24/2011, 9:10 PM
The letter U will ungroup events (such as separate audio from the video). I don't think there is a command to split a stereo track into two mono tracks.

But you can put the stereo track on the timeline twice, right click and each and select either left or right channel. This makes each a mono track that you can edit or mix separately.

Dave T2
ChristoC wrote on 3/24/2011, 9:46 PM
Also there's Options Menu | Preferences| General Tab: "Import Stereo as dual mono"
rs170a wrote on 3/25/2011, 4:53 AM
If it's a version earlier than Pro 9, use Edward Troxel's script.
Copy and save as StereoSplit.js

Mike

/**
* This script will split a stereo track into two separate tracks.
* Written By: Edward Troxel
* Copyright 2005 - JETDV Scripts
* Modified: 10-17-2005
**/

import System;
import System.IO;
import System.Windows.Forms;
import Sony.Vegas;

try {
for(var track : Track in Vegas.Project.Tracks)
{
if (track.IsAudio() && track.Selected)
{
//Add a new audio track
var Rtrack = new AudioTrack(track.Index, "Audio-Right");
Vegas.Project.Tracks.Add(Rtrack);

for(var evnt : TrackEvent in track.Events)
{
//Copy all events to the Ltrack
var mynewEvent = evnt.Copy(Rtrack, evnt.Start);
//Set right to disable left
var audioEvent : AudioEvent = AudioEvent(mynewEvent);
audioEvent.Channels = ChannelRemapping.DisableLeft;
//Set left to disable right
audioEvent = AudioEvent(evnt);
audioEvent.Channels = ChannelRemapping.DisableRight;
}
break;
}
}

} catch (e) {
MessageBox.Show(e);
}

rraud wrote on 3/25/2011, 8:43 AM
OR after import- just duplicate the stereo track and channel assign them L & R. (right-click audio event)
Earl_J wrote on 3/25/2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback. . .
I know U can ungroup audio from video ... why did I think it would split off one channel of a stereo track...? (grin ... sigh)
So the consensus is that Vegas Pro never, ever was able to split audio tracks into separate channels. . . hmmmm... where have I been. . .?

ChristoC wrote on 3/25/2011, 3:10 PM
> So the consensus is that Vegas Pro never, ever was able to split audio tracks into separate channels. . . hmmmm... where have I been. . .?

Not so - both VP9 and VP10 have the facility I mentioned above....
i.e. Options Menu | Preferences| General Tab: "Import Stereo as dual mono".... which can be enabled/disabled at will.
Furthermore, with that setting, if you drag a Video containing stereo audio into timeline then 2 mono audio tracks will be made, already panned L & R, and the tracks remain grouped so you can't lose sync.
Nothing could be easier!
farss wrote on 3/25/2011, 3:10 PM
"So the consensus is that Vegas Pro never, ever was able to split audio tracks into separate channels. . . hmmmm... where have I been. . .?"

Are you being sarcastic or plain not reading the posts above?

I've been using Vegas since V4 and Vegas has always been able to split a stereo track into two mono tracks

Now if you want one track left channel only in the left channel and you wan the other as right channel only in the right channel then you can pan them as needed.
For additional channel switching I use a free VST plugin called Stereo Tools

Bob.

Earl_J wrote on 3/25/2011, 9:29 PM
Bob,
neither ... more like reading the posts and not having a clue as to what they say... (grin)

Understood now. . .
I now understand that in order to be able to edit left or right channels, 1 - I have to create them myself upon import using the save stereo as dual mono tracks ... or 2 - create a left and right channel by duplicating the original stereo ...
I can then create the impression of true stereo by panning left and right between the two channels I created using either of the techniques above...

I'm a slow learner ... very slow at times . . . and occasionally, completely dense ...
it's the way I roll... (blush)

Thanks for your patience everyone. . .

farss wrote on 3/26/2011, 2:40 AM
Earl,
if your source was true stereo I don't understand why you'd want to split them into two mono tracks to edit them. Unless you've got some really wierd problems to deal with doing something to one channel of a stereo pair and not the other has the potential to create some wierd outcomes I would have thought.

Bob.
BRC wrote on 3/26/2011, 2:59 AM
First, thank you for pointing this out as I was not aware of this and have previously edited for stereo track separation in another audio editor. This makes life easier.

Next, sometimes there are wierd situations in some small to large auditoriums where it has not been possible to set ideal placement of mics and thus an imperfect stereo balance. This can result in an unbalanced stereo image which also can affect the dynamic range. Separating the left and right into individual images and then applying approproate processing to correct the images can give back a properly balanced stereo image. Okay, this is a rarity but nonetheless has happened on a few occasions for me.

Whatever the opinion on rights or wrongs, or even 'wierdness', the ability of Vegas Pro to be able to do this is very welcome
farss wrote on 3/26/2011, 4:16 AM
"Next, sometimes there are wierd situations in some small to large auditoriums where it has not been possible to set ideal placement of mics and thus an imperfect stereo balance. This can result in an unbalanced stereo image which also can affect the dynamic range. Separating the left and right into individual images and then applying approproate processing to correct the images can give back a properly balanced stereo image"

Please elaborate on this, what have you done to correct your audio?
I record a lot in auditoriums using a X-Y mic and if you've found any magic to deal with having put the mic in the wrong place I'm mighty interested in learning a new trick.

Bob.
BRC wrote on 3/26/2011, 7:08 AM
On rare occasions when videoing in an auditorium the proprietor or organiser has refused to allow mics to be placed centrally (or even within audience eyeline) - which is normally best for an X-Y set up, or come to that a single stereo mic. This has resulted in mic(s) being placed predominantly to one side. Although rebalancing in post production can achieve a balanced stereo image this does not necessarily correct the frequency/dynamic imbalance. As, I am sure you are aware, bass sounds are largely non-directional but higher frequences are more so. The further away from the mic position that sound the more high end frequency becomes reduced or loses presence/dynamics.

On such rare occasions I have edited in a separate audio editor to correct as far as possible that reduced frequency response. Perhaps not perfectly, or near as good as properly positioned mic(s), but satisfactorily for me and the end user of the production.

There is no magic involved, just time and efort to try to give a satisfactory outcome. It works for me and the fact that Vegas can separate the captured stereo audio track on camera into separate mono left and right tracks means, when necessary, it takes one step out of the process.

I have been recording audio in stereo for about 40 years by various methods - reel-to-reel, compact casette, digital tape recorder, hard disk digital recorders (various types) and wished the software resources had been available in the earlier of those years to help with post-production to correct dynamic range issues, then that is the past.

I hope I have clarified my original response to this posting. However if you wish to disagree with my approach feel free to do so, though I shall not feel any need to respond. Please remember what this original post was about.
LReavis wrote on 3/26/2011, 12:33 PM
"If it's a version earlier than Pro 9, use Edward Troxel's script.
Copy and save as StereoSplit.js"

Actually, stereo split works in Vegas 8, 9, and 10 - I'm pretty sure the StereoSplit.js that I often use was written by Edward Troxel.

rs170a wrote on 3/26/2011, 5:24 PM
Actually, stereo split works in Vegas 8, 9, and 10

Larry, I was referring to the suggestion to use the setting found under
Options Menu | Preferences| General Tab: "Import Stereo as dual mono".
That was introduced in Pro 9.
I've been using Edward's script for a long time now as I shoot all my plays with ch. 1 getting an audio board feed while ch. 2 gets a shotgun mic (for ambience).
His script simplifies things and doesn't pan the channels hard left and right like the Vegas option does.

Mike