Splitting/Grouping issue in Sony Vegas Pro 13.0 - (PLEASE HELP ME!)

Bluelade wrote on 3/5/2017, 1:31 AM

Okay, so I've been having this issue for quite some time now, and I'm not even sure how to explain it. I've tried explaining it to my friends and other people, but the issue is just so un-ordinary, that it makes it pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to explain it via text. So, I am going to include a quick video clip of what the issue is that I am experiencing. This issue makes video editing virtually impossible, due the fact that it won't let me properly split grouped video tracks without ruing the other parts of the grouped video. It doesn't make any sense, I know. That's why I am going to include a video so that you can all see for yourselves. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

However, if for whatever reason that video I included doesn't load or you can't watch it, I uploaded it privately on my YouTube channel. This is the link:

Comments

set wrote on 3/5/2017, 3:41 AM

Ok... so what you want to do exactly? splitting the video without splitting the audio?

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Marco. wrote on 3/5/2017, 4:32 AM

What I think to see in your video is all grouped Events and all Events which are selected move at the same time. This is expected behaviour, nothing wrong there.

What you need to know is splitting an Event will always select the rear part of the Event while deselecting the front part of the Event.
So e.g. if you selected all Events in the timeline then split at a certain time, the result will be all Events will keep being selected with the exception of the front part of the splitted Event. And thus Events will move when mouse-dragging - all Events will move with the exception of the front part of the splitted Event.
This sounds strange at a first glance but it is logical because of the way splitting, grouping and moving works.

Jam_One wrote on 3/5/2017, 7:17 AM

Hey, Bluelade!

I don't understand what did you exactly wanted to "achieve", but I remember "pre-installed" splitting function has got some peculiarities, so you can try my "cutting script": Cut Selected Event.js.zip

Note 1: This version is for Vegas Pro 14.
You have to convert it for use in VP 13 by replacing the line #12 'import ScriptPortal.Vegas;' with 'import Sony.Vegas;'

Note 2: This script will un-group the components you cut with it (incl. audio & video).

Update:
Oh! I've just remembered that "peculiarity"!
If you have not selected any certain event then the internal function will cut everything under "play head", all tracks top to bottom. My script in this case will do nothing.

Last changed by Jam_One on 3/5/2017, 7:27 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Win 7 Ultimate | Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz | nVidia GTX 760 4GB * 2

SSD | 32 GB RAM | No Swap file | No Overclock | GPU-in-CPU OFF

t.A.T.u. F.o.R.e.V.e.R.!

Jam_One wrote on 3/5/2017, 7:34 AM

You can also cut with "Ctrl + Shift + Alt + LeftMouseButton".
Regardless of the playhead position.

Last changed by Jam_One on 3/5/2017, 7:36 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Win 7 Ultimate | Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz | nVidia GTX 760 4GB * 2

SSD | 32 GB RAM | No Swap file | No Overclock | GPU-in-CPU OFF

t.A.T.u. F.o.R.e.V.e.R.!

Arthur.S wrote on 3/5/2017, 1:50 PM

I've watched your video twice, but still don't understand what you want to do. As mentioned above, all looks normal to me. Do you want to split the audio separate from the video? If so, just turn off grouping (there's a button to toggle on the tool bar) select which part you want to cut/split, then hit 'S'. I suspect it's something different you're after though....

xberk wrote on 3/5/2017, 9:30 PM

It's hard to say what you think the problem is from your video .. Not clear. And I realize your problem in explaining. But give it a try. There's lots of folks here ready to help if they understand the problem.

I think that if you split an event, the part you split will ungroup. Seems to me, the balance of the group will stay together. This is normal and, to me, makes sense. If you have 10 tracks, you can split all ten at once .. or not .. Learning how is worthwhile.

If what you wanted was to open up a gap (by doing a split) and then moving everything to the right, then turn on "auto ripple". You don't need to group everything if that's what you wanted.

Learn: "auto ripple" "split" "group" There are tutorials on these items on YouTube. Hope this helps.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit