Suggestion for future VEGAS Pro

alifftudm95 wrote on 8/10/2019, 2:24 AM

I use Automation alot in editing as its a trend to use "filter" effect to cut off the BGM instead using fading out. It will be great if user in VEGAS Pro can just right click whatever knob in Automatable FX and create Automation without clicking through the track itself.

Adjustment Layer would be useful to apply LuT or use it as transitions presets. I need to keyframe the LuT (Keyframing through Output FX in the preview) if I wanted to disable it at certain footage in my timeline.

Smart Guide would be awesome. Its a hassle for editor to make sure the text/Photo/Video in the center/Right/Left/bottom/Up of the frames.

Turn the video into 3D by just dragging the 3D FX into the footage itself would be great instead using the track.

Zooming into preview is a something must have I would say for more accurate placement/tracking.

The Mesh Warp need a slight improvement. I need to double click each dot of the mesh to reset the position.

What do u guys think :D

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2019, 2:37 AM

I like most of it, some great suggestions and the visual aid was also helpful. One thing...

"Adjustment Layer would be useful to apply LuT or use it as transitions presets. I need to keyframe the LuT (Keyframing through Output FX in the preview) if I wanted to disable it at certain footage in my timeline."

The way Vegas works, this really isn't necessary. Just apply the Lut at the event level. Even if you need to remove the LUT at a point in the same clip, just put in a pair of splits on the event to isolate the part you want the lut to or not to apply on, apply the LUT at the event fx level, and enable or disable the LUT in the space between the splits you made. This also has the advantage of you being able to use any transition you want to transition between the affected and unaffected footage, and you can adjust the length of that transition easily.

As for transition presets, this can be pulled off with filter packages if working with custom transitions, and you can also save presets in the settings menu of each transition that is bundled with Vegas.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/10/2019, 2:43 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Marco. wrote on 8/10/2019, 3:29 AM

Isn't Vegas Pro's Parent Track an Adjustment Layer?

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2019, 3:32 AM

Think of an adjustment layer as a track that has no video in it, but effects can still be applied to it and they will apply to all layers beneath.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Marco. wrote on 8/10/2019, 3:37 AM

Yes, that's what the Parent Track of Vegas Pro does if you apply Track FX to the Parent Track after Composite.

I often use Parent Tracks that way to let the FX affect all associated Child Tracks.

adis-a3097 wrote on 8/10/2019, 3:47 AM

Let's not forget the many "levels" which one can add fx at: Media, Video Event, Video Track, Parent Track & Video Output.

alifftudm95 wrote on 8/10/2019, 5:03 AM

I like most of it, some great suggestions and the visual aid was also helpful. One thing...

"Adjustment Layer would be useful to apply LuT or use it as transitions presets. I need to keyframe the LuT (Keyframing through Output FX in the preview) if I wanted to disable it at certain footage in my timeline."

The way Vegas works, this really isn't necessary. Just apply the Lut at the event level. Even if you need to remove the LUT at a point in the same clip, just put in a pair of splits on the event to isolate the part you want the lut to or not to apply on, apply the LUT at the event fx level, and enable or disable the LUT in the space between the splits you made. This also has the advantage of you being able to use any transition you want to transition between the affected and unaffected footage, and you can adjust the length of that transition easily.

As for transition presets, this can be pulled off with filter packages if working with custom transitions, and you can also save presets in the settings menu of each transition that is bundled with Vegas.

I do make my own transition and save it as preset chain, but its a nuisance for future use as it saved base on the clip length. For example, I saved the preset on 1 minute clip. So for the next clip that is only 10 second long, when I apply the preset chain it wont load up. I have to pull the clip till i see the keyframing. Moving bunch of keyframing in FX chain is pain. VP sometimes wont select the other layer of keyframe. Another down side use preset chain is that it will replace entire FX in the video you've made.

Last changed by alifftudm95 on 8/10/2019, 5:08 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Editor and Colorist (Kinda) from Malaysia

MYPOST Member

PC DEKSTOP

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x

GPU: RTX3090 24GB

RAM: 64GB 3200MHZ

MOBO: X570-E

Storage:

C DRIVE NVME M.2 1TB SSD GEN 4

D DRIVE NVME M.2 2TB SSD GEN 4

E DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

F DRIVE SATA SSD 2TB

G DRIVE HDD 1TB

Monitor: Asus ProArt PA279CV 4K HDR (Bought on 30 August 2023)

Monitor: BenQ PD2700U 4K HDR (RIP on 30 August 2023)

David Johns wrote on 8/10/2019, 6:41 AM

Isn't Vegas Pro's Parent Track an Adjustment Layer?

Agreed. I use this method to add a Magic Bullet Looks effect to all the video clips in the project without affecting titles, name captions etc which are on tracks above the parent. As you said, you do need to remember to shift the Composite box on the parent track to before the effects you add.

Regards

David

KPDVD wrote on 8/10/2019, 9:55 AM

The 3d source alpha mode is a real problem for me every time i work with 3d layers. I can't turn one of the into other mode like add or screen because they won't stay in the 3d space anymore and it mess everything up.

The solution i want here is turn it into a button on/off 3d layer. So i can make some thing moving in 3d space and its in add or srceen mode at the same time!!