SUGGESTION: Speed up/down timeline playback rate preserving pitch

cadudesun wrote on 1/26/2017, 4:16 PM

Hi,

When playing back the entire timeline faster or slower, Vegas doesn't preserve pitch. Any - even minimal - speed up/down in Vegas playback speed mess with the voice pitch, bringing distortion (i.e. voices like Darth Vader or Mickey Mouse). For instance, in Adobe Premiere, by pressing L to speed up the playback, the pitch is much smoother than Vegas. If you press L in Vegas, Mickey Mouse is coming!

Vegas can already preserve pitch when you change the clip property "playback rate" individually. But emphasizing, the suggestion here is play the time line preserving pitch (e.g. changing the timeline playback rate in the bottom left control: http://i.imgur.com/JI3lSbk.png). Then, the great work Vegas already does with time stretched clips also become available when changing the playback rate of the timeline.

Many users need to speed up/down Vegas playback speed in their workflows (see links below for detailed use cases), but the distortion in voice pitch is a huge shortcoming currently.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/playback-rate-pitch-control-impossible--102450
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/3/926993
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/998849

If you need further info, please let me know.

Any change to have this feature requested included in Vegas roadmap?

Thanks,
Carlos_

Comments

Ustik wrote on 9/16/2018, 1:07 PM

I completely agree, this should be fixed!

JMacSTL wrote on 9/17/2018, 1:54 PM

If you're wanting to change timeline playback speed and have the audio NOT change pitch for use in a final render, then you'd want to render the entire audio project into a new file (or onto a new audio track), and then use its clip speed/pitch/ to do what you're describing. If on the other hand, you're wanting to preserve pitch when using the J K L speed keys for playback and ONLY for playback purposes (not final rendering), then I don't see the point in preserving pitch. I can easily hear well with speeds from 1/2 up to 4x, even the the pitch follows accordingly.

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

JMacSTL wrote on 9/17/2018, 1:55 PM

I don't see this is something that needs 'fixed', It's not broken. It works exactly as intended.

jmm in stl

Windows10 with Vegas 11 Pro (most recent build). Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz 3.90 GHz, 32GB ram, separate audio and video disks. Also Vegas 17 Pro on same system. GPU: NVDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER. Dynamic RAM preview=OFF.

Ustik wrote on 9/19/2018, 2:12 PM

Yes, I want to edit on higher playback speed and hear normal sound, not Mickey Mouse voice...

So this HAS to be fixed, or added as an option to choose.

Former user wrote on 9/19/2018, 11:12 PM

ONLY for playback purposes (not final rendering), then I don't see the point in preserving pitch. I can easily hear well with speeds from 1/2 up to 4x, even the the pitch follows accordingly.

Although you never knew it. You're very special, that's quite a unique trait to have, but that's not normal. Even at 1.5x I don't find listening to dialogue on timeline intelligible, but when pitch shifted 2x is very intelligible. What i'm forced to do is play the media on separate media player at the faster speed, and write down the time codes for everything that interested me. Then go back into vegas and find the edit points.

It shouldn't be that difficult. You and your high pitched dolphin hearing are a vast minority.

Marco. wrote on 9/20/2018, 3:18 AM

I sometimes use double playback speed for a faster search and the way I use it is to set the "Normal Playback Rate" to 2.0 in the lower left corner of the timeline header and the pitch of the selected timeline events to - 12 semitones (by just pressing -).
This method works up to a playback rate of 4x and a pitch shift to - 24 semitones.

Ustik wrote on 9/21/2018, 10:14 AM

I sometimes use double playback speed for a faster search and the way I use it is to set the "Normal Playback Rate" to 2.0 in the lower left corner of the timeline header and the pitch of the selected timeline events to - 12 semitones (by just pressing -).
This method works up to a playback rate of 4x and a pitch shift to - 24 semitones.

Marco! That's brilliant, exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much ;)

JoeAustin wrote on 12/13/2018, 2:01 PM

Holy crap! I've had the same issue for sometime, and read many dismissive posts. Or ones from people that just don't understand.

Marco, you have just made my life a little easier. I will be quite grateful as I am currently going through about 50 hours of conference footage. Hallelujah!

michael-w4674 wrote on 5/28/2019, 5:06 AM

I couldn't make that work, I thought that would speed the clip normally, but it is still a chipmunk voice, not as GOM or VLC player speed. Any suggestions? Thank you

Marco. wrote on 5/28/2019, 5:25 AM

Which playback rate and how much semitones shift did you use?

michael-w4674 wrote on 5/28/2019, 6:16 AM

Hi, thanks for answering Ive been looking for a solution to this for a loong time and someone pointed me to your post in this thread.

Playback 2 and semitone 12 as you said in your post. Here is a screenshot.

http://ibb.co/6WT9gRZ

Marco. wrote on 5/28/2019, 6:38 AM

Don't use the Pitch Shift FX but the semi tone adjustment given by the + and - keys. And don't raise the pitch shift to +12, lower it to -12! It sounds almost same as the VLC playback.

Vegas Pro

VLC