Comments

clarksil wrote on 6/19/2003, 12:18 PM
I just bought one as well and am Anxiuos to know!!!
bpeterson wrote on 1/31/2004, 3:59 PM
Seems to work with +R and +R/W after the TDK firmware upgrade to 1.0A But.. doesn't seem to work with -R
readw wrote on 1/31/2004, 4:06 PM
The only drives supported by Sony are the ones below. If you have any other make/model than those listed below they will not provide any assistance. Of course it doesn't mean the drive won't work it just means you will not get any technical support if you do run into problems, (this is from direct experience with them). DVDA is very sensitive to hardware so its best to go with a supported drive.

Warren

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/Products/showproduct.asp?PID=810&FeatureID=6989&FeatureTL=6967
bpeterson wrote on 1/31/2004, 6:34 PM
Also, TDK Support says that they have previously submitted all the needed drive specs to Sony. But he also said that from what he could tell Sony isn't doing anything about it.... could be wrong but who knows. Sony sure isn't saying anything.
wobblyboy wrote on 1/31/2004, 8:39 PM
I have been using one to burn -R discs and it works fine.
jwreich wrote on 2/1/2004, 9:27 PM
My 440N has spit out over 150 DVD -R's without issues. On top of it all, my burner is in a external FW enclosure. A sure NO-NO according to everyone, but I haven't had any issues.

They may be hardware specific, but lets be honest. DVD's are built off of the DVD specs and those can't chage unless you get several major companies to agree. I feel many drives will work with DVDA, but like everyone else, Sony pushes you towards their drives.

The Pioneer A05/06 also work great!

JWR
farss wrote on 2/2/2004, 12:55 PM
It's not a case of Sony pushing you to their drives. At the time that list was published Sony were not in the picture, it just happened that Sony had a lot of drives on the market then. The reality is that the list has never been updated for obvious reasons, there's just too many drives and combinations out there for them to test everyone of them.
There all supposed to work through a standard interface, the theory is if the drive doesn't work then it's the fault of the drive.
It's much the same as asking uSoft to publish a list of hard drives that'll work with Windows.
MarkCC777 wrote on 2/9/2004, 7:31 PM
I have the new TDK 840g and I can only get the thing to burn to +R media. Don't know why this is.
Mark
Night_Hawk wrote on 2/10/2004, 5:49 PM
Hi,

I have one 440N on my PC. I am yet to check this. I burned -R using COPYDVD software. I bought the Vegas+DVD few days ago only.

Also Can anybody tell me, if I use AC-3 DVD burner will it work with this drive too. Did anyone tried this.

Ffyi, today evening I will try to burn -R DVD on this TDK 440N and let u know the result.