Swap files doesn't work if there are subclips

NCARalph wrote on 10/12/2018, 4:31 PM

I'm editing a 4K video with Vega Pro 16 261 and want to stabilize just events that are subclips of the original media files so only the timeline event parts are considered by the stabilizer.

The problem is that if I first make proxies so I can easily edit the video, the swap files function doesn't work at all.

What I'm doing is:

• Create proxies
  • Swap to low resolution files
  • Break up media into events, tossing everything I don't want.
  • Convert the events into subclips
  • Stabilize the subclips
  • Attempt to swap back to the original full resolution files. This doesn't work, nothing happens

The next thing I tried was using Vegasaur to replace the files. That works, and the subclips remain defined and are replaced, however the stabilization is lost.

Also, once I try this, the project will save correctly, but when I close Vegas I get an error message that Vegas has crashed.

Comments

ram17 wrote on 10/12/2018, 6:10 PM

I think your workaround maybe with this is after you create subclips change your preview quality to "Good/Best" so that it will use the original resolution of all proxies you made, then select all clips you trimmed then batch stabilize, then render & replace the files into the timeline, so your stabilization will be intact. Afaik, proxies are only use when in "Preview/Draft" in your preview monitor.

NCARalph wrote on 10/12/2018, 10:56 PM

You're thinking about the old Vegas proxy system. There's a new system where you can create proxy files, then swap back and forth between the originals and the proxies.Things like crops and fx effects can be done on the proxy files, then when the full resolution files are swapped back, they carry over.

NCARalph wrote on 10/15/2018, 6:27 PM

I've reported this, but for the time being, I'm going back to the old Vegas proxy scheme. I wish there was more control over how the proxy was made, but the swap system seems a bit partially baked ATM.

EricLNZ wrote on 10/15/2018, 10:07 PM

My impression is you are causing your problem by "swapping" files. The proxy system is seamless and you shouldn't be "swapping" files. Let Vegas do that automatically when it knows it needs to. Have you tried:

• Creating proxies
  • Breaking up media into events, tossing everything you don't want.
  • Converting the events into subclips
  • Stabilizing the subclips
  • Continue editing.
NCARalph wrote on 10/17/2018, 12:14 PM

Yes, that works fine. However, the swap system Vegas has introduced is supposed to be a replacement for the previous proxy system and has the advantage that it's possible to control how the proxies are rendered.

Unfortunately it appears that it's not completely implemented.

Marco. wrote on 10/17/2018, 1:40 PM

File swapping isn't meant to be a replacement for the automated proxy workflow but a second option. Each method has its very own pros and cons.

altarvic wrote on 10/17/2018, 1:48 PM

In any case you won't be able to keep the stabilization effect, because it resets itself if the media was changed.

You said you have Vegasaur - you can use Proxy Builder to create native Vegas proxies using your own render template.

NCARalph wrote on 10/17/2018, 2:05 PM

File swapping isn't meant to be a replacement for the automated proxy workflow but a second option. Each method has its very own pros and cons.

What is it for if not proxy building?

Marco. wrote on 10/17/2018, 2:39 PM

It is mainly for the use of proxies but it's not a replacement but another option so users get the choice which method to use dependend on their particular needs.