Comments

Chienworks wrote on 2/9/2004, 12:43 PM
The text generator doesn't seem to have a sync cursor option.
Grazie wrote on 2/9/2004, 1:00 PM
Yeah - Bummer! - The only way I know how to do this is to "create" a finished piece of Text compo using keyframes for Edit; PLacement; Properties and Effects - THEN create an avi - render to new track - then use this . . . oh yes yer need to preserve the transparent quality of the finished Text AVI - Chienworks will tell you how . . . - hah! - Then slice and dice your new TExt AVI using Keyframes for anything yer want.

My opinion? I think Text manipulation is a throw back to when Text was the "After" thought of film making . . Go on and have a go at me now. . !!! - But yes, not having Synch cursor options for text is a little, well "old" style, when today text compo is such a major part of film making . . but what do I know .. I think there is any other reason NOT to have this available. But what "galls" me is that it is "seen" in the text compo window, but remains tantalizingly greyed out - GO Figure! - THAT doesn't make sense to me . . .

. . .has this been any good ?. . .

This was the "other" reason I put my money down on Boris Graffiti 3.0 - plus the heavy discount on it, about 4 months back. Now using BG3 in vegas? Ho . . .this IS another ball game - one which I wish sometimes I hadn't started playing. . . .

Grazie

newbe wrote on 2/9/2004, 1:08 PM
Thanks both for the reply: "THAT doesn't make sense to me "is what I was thinking too. I cant figure out why it's there if it cant be used!
Is this one of those few negative points in Vegas?

jetdv wrote on 2/9/2004, 1:20 PM
Sync cursor does not work with ANY generated media. The reason for this has been explained but you'll have to search this forum to find the answer.
jeremyk wrote on 2/9/2004, 4:28 PM
I don't exactly understand this, but you CAN keyframe generated media, even though the sync cursor remains off. Try it! You can change the text in a text box at a keyframe, whatever.

So, is there really a problem after all?
berenberen wrote on 2/9/2004, 4:47 PM
Yes, there is a problem, because it doesn't change slowly from keyframe to keyframe, but jumps to the new values suddenly upon reaching the next keyframe.
It's uncanny; I tried keyframing text for the first time last night, and realized that it's not synched to the cursor and that the keyframing doesn't work in the usual way, and ... whaddaya know? The next day there's a post up on the subject. Is it mental telepathy?
jeremyk wrote on 2/9/2004, 5:25 PM
Hmmmm. I don't understand. What COULD text do except change suddenly at the keyframe? There does seem to be something funky about the text placement that doesn't want you to do anything but keep the text centered as you add letters.

But if you take, say, the Color Gradient generator, you can set a keyframe at the end with the control points in a different position, and the generator will smoothly change in the intermediate frames.
berenberen wrote on 2/9/2004, 5:32 PM
I tried accomplishig three things with the keyframes:
a) I wanted the font to slowly become larger
b) The color to slowly change
c) The shape of the title to slowly change (i.e. straight to curved)
None worked.
jeremyk wrote on 2/9/2004, 5:46 PM
Ah, I see.

You could do a) with event pan/crop, and b) with the secondary color corrector, but I don't know how to do c).
berenberen wrote on 2/9/2004, 6:27 PM
For some reason I didn't think of pan/crop for titling, but of course it will work. Thanks.
Grazie wrote on 2/9/2004, 10:48 PM
jeremyk - Yes there is a problem. When you are attempting to arrange with the underlying video and/or audio the Synch cursor will/does identify where you are on the T/L - with regard to video and audio. AND then you can "correctly" place a K/F there. Look, supposing you've got a beat of music. You want a new font to appear on the beat . . . well, a synched cursor would tell me WITHIN the compo windows where that beat actually was .. . yeah? I could see it in the COmpo window AND I could see the cursor on the T/L . . . Same for video . .. . this is what I use the synch cursor for . . what do you use it for ? . . Yes you can k/f within the compo options - BUT none of these have an in SYNCH representation with the T/L itself - yeah? Hence my comment about the TExt Compos being thought as an after thought - IMHO? It's not just about k/f-ing within the Compo windows - It is where this all "holds" together in the ther underlying video, on the T/L that's important. . .

Grazie
newbe wrote on 2/10/2004, 12:17 AM
That Grazie is precisely what I mean, tekst in the MG should be in sync.
Thanks to all.
TorS wrote on 2/10/2004, 12:45 AM
berenberen
Changing the text colour gradually with keyframes does work. The other two does not. Pan/crop or 3D LE will do them for you.

If you want to sync a lot of text I suppose the easiest would be to create several copies of the text event(s) and sync them up on the timeline before or after you manipulate them. When they are fixed to their sync positions you can pull up the end of the previous event to align with or overlap the next.
Tor
Grazie wrote on 2/10/2004, 11:28 AM
Torsie, this is an ingenious work around . . . However, this is not how it should work . .. life should be easier . . but yes, this is a commendable piece of work . . . Grazie