Text generators doesn't like OpenType?

TorS wrote on 3/25/2013, 4:14 AM
Looks like Vegas 12's text generator has a problem with OpenType fonts. It shows the correct font in the work area but not in the preview. NewBlue titler 1.0 substitutes OpenType fonts altogether. The old legacy text generator, as always, works perfectly.
If generators do not handle OpenType properly (and I wonder why not), why do such fonts show up as available in the selection menu?
Tor

Comments

Grazie wrote on 3/25/2013, 4:44 AM
TorS: If generators do not handle OpenType properly (and I wonder why not), why do such fonts show up as available in the selection menu?

I've reported non-reveal of Text to SCS. I made a video going through ALL the Fonts and this helped them. Maybe you should also knock on their door too?

Torsie, are you on VP12 486?

Cheers

Grazie

TorS wrote on 3/25/2013, 6:50 AM
Yes Grazie, I am on V12 486. Do you think it is a bug?
There's more: Click on italic in either the standard text generator or the NewBlue 1.0 and it will slant the text sort of digitally. Do the same in the old lovely legacy text generator and it will select a real, drawn italic variant, if such exists.

Edit: Seems this claim is more true for NewBlue than for the standard text generator, at least for some fonts.
Grazie wrote on 3/25/2013, 8:08 AM
Oh... I'm using NBTP2, and that appears to be ok.

G

NormanPCN wrote on 3/25/2013, 11:04 AM
I noticed that Titles and Text does not like OpenType fonts with postscript outlines. It does not show the fonts in the font list drop down. These were fonts Photoshop installed.

Legacy Text and ProType and NewBlue all don't mind. I reported this to Sony support weeks ago. No response as yet.

I don't think I have any OpenType fonts with TrueType outlines to test. I think all my fonts with TrueType outlines are in TrueType containers.
NormanPCN wrote on 3/25/2013, 3:20 PM
I tried my OpenType fonts in Legacy and ProType and NewBlue 2.0 and everything seems fine. No issue with the work area and preview window not being the same.

As stated, all my OpenType fonts contain postscript outlines. Not TrueType outlines.

Again, Titles & Text wont list these OpenType fonts for use.

VP12, Build 486. 64-bit
TorS wrote on 3/25/2013, 5:04 PM
Must admit I didn't know OpenType was several different formats, as NormanPCN mention with Postscript outline or TrueType outline. I thought OpenType was what the name says: open type. And I am surprised it has issues with some of the text generators in Vegas - or vice versa. I may accept that a particular font format may not function in some of Vegas' text generators, but why wasn't I told, and why does the fonts in question show up as available in the font selection menu? Very strange.
Tor
NormanPCN wrote on 3/25/2013, 5:52 PM
OpenType fonts can contain TrueType or Prostscript type 1 character glyphs. OpenType is basically the marriage of TrueType and Postcript type 1 fonts.

I don't know if Titles and Text works with any OpenType font. It appears it can given your statement about text being okay in the text generator window but not preview window.

I might try to find an OpenType font with TrueType outlines and see what T&T does with it. My curiosity is high.

Initially my opinion was that the T&T issue was a simple font enumeration bug, but maybe there is more to the story given your report.
NormanPCN wrote on 3/25/2013, 9:04 PM
I found an OpenAType (otf) font with TrueType outlines and it seems to work on my machine. The Text generator window and preview.

I did fond more font enumeration peculiarities with OpenType fonts. I am going to report those to Sony.
NormanPCN wrote on 3/25/2013, 11:07 PM
TorS,
I duplicated your report. I found a font which was OpenType with postscript outlines. In my case it was Adobe Garamond Pro.

Titles and Text showed only AGaramondPro-Italic. I use that.
The T&T windows shows the Italic version of the font, the preview window shows something else.

In this case (Legacy) Text shows. Adobe Garamond Pro, and Adobe Garamond Pro Bold. Two fonts. Clicking Italic seems to give the right result.

ProType Titler. Only shows Garamond Pro. Which IMO is correct. For a font family you only show the root font and let Bold and Italic buttons select the others.
NormanPCN wrote on 3/27/2013, 3:23 PM
I reported various issues with Titles and Text to Sony support and they replied back that they are known issues to be fixed in some future update of the application.

Specifically
OpenType fonts with postscript outlines not showing in font list.

Incorrect/incomplete fonts listed for some OTF fonts with postscript, and then in this case showing something different in preview window and text editor window. This last one I reproduced and reported from your forum post.