Timeline playback with ATI R9 290 card

Guy S. wrote on 7/9/2014, 10:13 PM
After reading several helpful posts on this forum I decided to try an ATI card in my new system instead of nVidia. My previous experiences with ATI have been quite poor but I respect the knowledge of those who posted positive reports so I gave it a shot.

The first card (5970) worked very well with Vegas - timeline playback, even with track motion, was mostly real time. The card apparently had issues - my new computer had fatal crashes when the monitors went to sleep. We RMA'd the first workstation.... And the replacement had the same issue. So we replaced the memory.... Same issue. Today we replaced the 5970 with an R9 290 and the timeline playback performance is even better.

I shot a Very Crude iPhone video that shows the difference with the GPU vs CPU:

Comments

BruceUSA wrote on 7/9/2014, 10:38 PM
You should really try the Sony project Benchmark instead. This benchmark is heavily FX and multi tracks. You will see the R9 290 chop thru it smooth like butter.

Intel i7 12700k @5.2Ghz all P Cores, 5.3@ 6 Core, Turbo boost 3 Cores @5.4Ghz. 4.1Ghz All E Cores.                                          

MSI Z690 MPG Edge DDR5 Wifi                                                     

TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32GB DDR5 -6200                     

Samsung 980 Pro x4 Nvme .M2 1tb Pcie Gen 4                                     

ASRock RX 6900XT Phantom 16GB                                                        

PSU Eva Supernova G2 1300w                                                     

Black Ice GTX 480mm radiator top mount push/pull                    

MCP35X dual pump w/ dual pump housing.                                

Corsair RGB water block. RGB Fan thru out                           

Phanteks Enthoo full tower

Windows 11 Pro