Titler and Essentials - deserves it's own thread

tim-evans wrote on 4/18/2014, 4:49 PM
I want to clarify something that jetdv from NewBlue said on another thread. The licenses for Titler 1 which was given free with Vegas 11 and 12 are only good for those versions of Vegas and will not work with Vegas 13.

Video Essentials VI which is being given "Free" with Vegas 13 will not work with Vegas 14 unless SCS extends the licensing with NewBlue.

For me this is breaking new ground in misrepresentation.

Comments

Lovelight wrote on 4/18/2014, 5:10 PM
Interesting to know. Thank you.

Finding stuff out like this seems to be a Sony motto with everything they create especially with their cameras.

It's put me on high guard when purchasing products.
sir_sony wrote on 4/18/2014, 7:11 PM
i purchased the vegas 13 upgrade but as far as i can tell, i didn't get video essentials. how do i get video essentials? too bad i've lost access to titler. sucks.
NormanPCN wrote on 4/18/2014, 7:32 PM
It's on the trial download page. Same for Nectar.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro
PeterDuke wrote on 4/18/2014, 8:43 PM
After you purchased Vegas Pro 13, you should have received an email from SCS. The 4th line down gives you a link to the download page for everything.
Spectralis wrote on 4/18/2014, 9:08 PM
I imagine NB are trying to force Titler 1 users to upgrade to 3. Based on the past arrangement I assume that Titler 3 will work with VP14 and we'll have to upgrade to Titler 4 when VP15 is released.

It is pretty annoying when you consider that each version of After Effects has a working copy of Mocha AE bundles with it. Perhaps Sony could reach an agreement to bundle a cut down version of Titler Pro that lets you load older projects with the option of buying an upgrade to the latest full version of Titler.

But then I've never forgotten how New Blue FX made us pay for a GPU render upgrade while those who bought the bundles after GPU render was introduced paid just the bundle price. Apart from the VP Titler upgrades, I've never bought any of their plugins since then.
NormanPCN wrote on 4/18/2014, 9:37 PM
This is the word from NewBlue.

"The Titler Pro 3 upgrade will be the full upgrade that will work with future versions of Vegas and have a full retail serial number meaning it will also work in any other supported NLEs you have installed."
NewBlueFX wrote on 4/19/2014, 10:38 AM
I've read the concerns, questions, and frustrations on these threads, so I'd like to step in and say two things that I hope will help:

As for the VE6 that is currently bundled with Vegas 13, we will ensure that it will continue to stay active in Vegas Pro 14, 15, and on as long as the binary format is compatible. I've put in a ticket to the devs to do that asap. Just update your VE6 in a few months or next year when you update to the next Vegas and it will continue to work.

As for the optional Titler 3 bundle - It really is a stand alone license, same as if you bought it from our store for $299. That means not only will it run in past and future versions of Vegas, but that license is good for all other NLEs, Windows and Mac (it is first in a new policy of making our licenses cross platform.) Not that you would ever need it, but I want to make the point that this is a true unbundled license. It even includes a standalone version that can save titles directly as files.

I highly encourage you to take a look at the features that you get with this version. The most popular is proving to be QuickEdit because it gives you sweeping control over all titles in a project from one place.

And for those of you who were bitten by the pains of GPU robustness with Titler Pro, we followed HitFilm's example and moved Titler into a separate process, where misbehaving drivers could not cause a conflict between it an Vegas. Since we did that last year with Titler 1 and 2, lingering reports of such problems finally dried up.

The Vegas community always has been and always will be extremely important to NewBlue. We love Vegas itself, we admire the hard work, dedication, and genius of the Sony product team, and we especially enjoy and appreciate you, the customers, who support us, create amazing art with our tools, advocate for us, and, very importantly, show us how to make better products.

Best,

Todor Fay

tim-evans wrote on 4/19/2014, 11:12 AM
Todor

thanks for making that change in licensing. I feel that is the correct approach based on the advertising that SCS is giving the VE6 plugin ($129 value). I didn't want to receive a plugin that was only going to work in the current version of Vegas.
Spectralis wrote on 4/19/2014, 9:59 PM
My faith in New Blue FX is restored. You do have some very useful plugins. In the past I think you had too many variations so standardising your product range and upgrade criteria will make it much clearer.
jetdv wrote on 4/20/2014, 7:34 AM
Here's the real answer:

Titler Pro 1 - will work in Vegas Pro 11 and Vegas Pro 12 without a watermark.

Video Essentials VI - will work in Vegas Pro 13 without a watermark. I have been told that it will be modified to allow it to continue to work in future versions. (i.e. Vegas Pro 14, 15...). The updated installer will be available soon.

Titler Pro 3 - is an optional upgrade for $99.95 when upgrading to Vegas Pro 13. You will also get a free Lower 3rds package worth $59.95.