Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

MozartMan wrote on 2/14/2008, 6:11 PM
Toshiba to drop HD DVD, sources say

--------------
The format war has turned into a format death watch.

Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources say, after a rash of retail defections that followed Warner Home Video's announcement in early January that it would support only the rival Blu-ray Disc format after May.

--------------

Link to the article

Comments

Houston Haynes wrote on 2/14/2008, 7:24 PM
"Company says no decision has been made"

"Blu-ray Disc titles also accounted for 81% of all high-def disc sales for the week, with HD DVD at just 19%."

The company doesn't *have* to make a decision - they just need to accept the decision of the marketplace.
DJPadre wrote on 2/14/2008, 7:34 PM
look, i really wish people would top fuelling this crap

HD DVD is STILL tied in with agreeeements made with certain studios. They are bound, by contract, to deliver. In saying this, they more than likely is a clause within said agreement that the HD DVD camp will do in their power whatever they can to market said technology and media to assist in sales.
Until those agreements expire, HD DVD camp is bound to ensure that a sales/marketing regime remains.
In any case, i dont see Toshi ditching this many years of R&D with a simple "meh, lets move on" mentality
At the very least, theyd retain the technology and offer it as an archival media much like DLT tape

If im worng, ill eat my words when i see an official announcement whereby all HD DVD products are pulled from teh shelves.
Until then, I reallly dont care what happens.
MozartMan wrote on 2/14/2008, 7:48 PM
DJPadre:

If im worng, ill eat my words

--------------

I will send you a bottle of Ketchup, or do you prefer honey mustard sauce?
Chienworks wrote on 2/14/2008, 7:53 PM
"They are bound, by contract, to deliver."

DJ, please tell me again what planet you're from. It must be a very interesting place indeed where corporations actually honor their contracts that way.
DJPadre wrote on 2/14/2008, 8:13 PM
"It must be a very interesting place indeed where corporations actually honor their contracts that way. "

So your saying that you, as a company, dont honour an agreemeent if going gets tough??

Not a jab at you mate, but in general and in all fariness, a contract is a contract.
If however there is a "go past GO do not collect $200" clause then thats different, but if there is indeed an agreement, and im sure there is, then it SHOULD Be honoured...

Im no big cheese corporation, but i know i fulfil my agreements as best i can as fast as i can. Even if im delayed, i still deliver...
The point...?
i deliver because thats what im bound to do...
DJPadre wrote on 2/14/2008, 8:16 PM
oops dbl post
DJPadre wrote on 2/14/2008, 8:16 PM
oops triple post
John_Cline wrote on 2/14/2008, 8:27 PM
None of here on the forum ACTUALLY know what kind of contract Toshiba has with the studios. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see what happens (just like the rest of the world.)