Tracks and pauses

JimJohnston wrote on 10/2/2005, 5:06 PM
I am new to CDA, and am confused about what exactly gets written to the CD from the timeline.
(Formerly, I extracted regions in SF to files and used Nero to burn from the wave files.)
Now, I import the SF wave file with tracks indicated by regions, and generate tracks from regions. The material between tracks/regions gets written to the CD. After the end of a preceeding track, the unwanted material is on the CD, and a count-down timer runs down until zero at the beginning of the material intended for this next track, whereupon it starts counting up normally. I do not know how to delete that unwanted material from the time-line.
I was under the impression that CDA could define what is wanted on the CD without having to modify the original media file.
I cannot find any descriptions or examples that go into these rather basic aspects.
Any help -- especially sources of elementary information -- will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Jim

P.S. I nothing else, I would like to know the nature/cause of the phenomenon of space between tracks causing the transition to a new track at the end of the old one with a count-down on the CD player's timer to zero at the beginning of the new track, and normal counting up during the playing of the designated track. (This does not happen with commercial CDs.)
Example: situation / CD player display:
playing to end of track 1
................................................track 1, timer counting up
end of track & starting 4 second space
...............................................track2, counting down from 4
begin of designated track 2
..............................................still track 2, counting up from 0

Comments

wymondham wrote on 10/5/2005, 9:55 AM
Hi There,

I have used CDA for some time but may not be able answer all your quiries. In CDA open the explorer and find your file which you made the regions in. Import into the Audio Pool, import the file into the trimmer window, your markers should be present. If not put markers in, or high light your region and make markers. Highlight a region by double clicking, then press A, or add to timeline. If you wish to trim the item do so in the trimmer or you can in the timeline. The first item is at 2:00 seconds red book, after that tracks are added at 2:00 intervals, if that had been set in preferances. You can drag the track and file to close the 2:00, or cross fade the two tracks. The whole thing is adjustable and very flexible. I find the most imporant part of CDA is the Trimmer section, its very easy to take off what you don't require in the track. Persevere with CSA it is far more fexible than Nero.

Hope this helps David.H
Geoff_Wood wrote on 10/9/2005, 2:39 PM
It is exactly what happens on commercial CDs - if they are formatted that way which is quite common. You can slide the track starts/end around to give whatever counter performance you desire. You can also drag the audio event starts/ends/position around to do what ever you like.

Suggest start by checking Help - Overview, and then read in further to get a simple and concise description of what to do, how, and why.

geoff
JimJohnston wrote on 10/12/2005, 9:03 AM
Thanks to both respondants.

Having used only Nero prior to this, I did not know basics.
Having played around, it seems that: everything on time line is burned to CD. Track info is overlayed over that.
After end-of-track, timer displays time relative to new begin-of-track,
thus displaying the negative time prior to next begin-of-track during the standard pause. (Computer players show the minus sign.)
I have not yet found a commerc\ial CD that shows this behavior (but I have tested only a half dozen or so).
[I'm curious about industry attitude to the Red Book standard.]

I have not yet found anything about how to create events in the CD5 documentation (haven't read it all yet) -- except for that done automatically, if selected, when a project is opened.
Dragging media file to time-line puts everything there in one (or no)event, it seems.
I am now dragging regions to the time line after the media file is opened. That works well.

I will take your suggestions and dig into the trimmer window now.

Thanks.
Jim