Transfer files from Mac External Drive to PC

paige wrote on 2/17/2011, 1:50 AM
Hello
I have googled this question and can't find an answer, I'm hoping someone can help!..

I have been given a Lacie Extermal Hard drive formatted for a Mac, and I need to transfer the files from this device to my PC (Win xp) to edit in Vegas.

It has both a firewire and USB connection - I have tried both - even though the message on my PC says "hardware is installed and ready to use" the drive is not visible on 'My Computer'.

The drive is also visible on the "Safely Remove Hardware' icon.

Can anyone offer a solution so I can see this drive to transfer the video files?

Thank you for your time
Paige

Comments

ChristoC wrote on 2/17/2011, 2:08 AM
You need a program like Macdrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/) installed so Windows can see and read/write a MAC formatted drive.
rs170a wrote on 2/17/2011, 3:40 AM
Another vote for MacDrive.
I've been using it for a few years now and it works as advertised.

Mike
paige wrote on 2/17/2011, 3:45 AM
Thank you both,
I'm downloading it now and will give it a try :-)
Steve Mann wrote on 2/17/2011, 7:25 AM
Third for MacDrive

I faced the exact same scenario a year ago. The client was frustrated by the number of other "pros" who couldn't get the video file from the mac-formatted drive. (I didn't tell him about MacDrive).

PerroneFord wrote on 2/17/2011, 7:35 AM
"Pro" is a VERY loosely defined term in this industry...
paige wrote on 2/17/2011, 3:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

Works a treat!

Now it looks like the mov files on the drive are P2 files - do I need Raylight Decoder?

Thanks again
Paige
Dave_OnSet wrote on 2/17/2011, 6:20 PM
Are you sure they are P2?
I always thought P2 were MXF files (different codec) in a 'CONTENTS' file structure.
Typically when I get .MOV files on a mac drive, they are FCP -- and I use the MOV-to-MXF converter from Convergent Design (the NanoFlash people).
paige wrote on 2/17/2011, 7:26 PM
Thanks Dave
No - I'm not sure they are P2 - just a guess really, I think they said they used a Panasonic camera.

I've just had a look at the specs with GSpot:
Codec: dvhq
File Type: Quicktime (mov)
Display 960x720 (this seems odd to me..?)

Can you tell if this is a P2 file or FCP?

I've also just downloaded a trial version of Raylight - I can open the files now (with a watermark). I don't really want to buy it if I don't need to.

I'll have a look at Convergent Design product as you recommended.

Thanks again
Paige
Dave_OnSet wrote on 2/17/2011, 7:52 PM
Hi Paige,
I'm not familiar with the dvhq codec, guessing that it may be a flavor of DVCpro, so since you say RayLight works, that may be the way to go (unless you already have another program that reads it directly and can convert it).
My guess is that the C-D converter won't help you, but give it a try just in case (and keep it around for when you do need it)
Best,
Dave S
paige wrote on 2/18/2011, 7:43 PM
Thanks for your help Dave :-)
corug7 wrote on 2/19/2011, 5:15 PM
FYI: 960x720 is the DVCpro HD equivalent of 720p. It is a non-square pixel format.
paige wrote on 2/20/2011, 1:53 AM
Thanks for the info

I still haven't purchased Raylight - the DVFilm product - the trial version that I've downloaded also changed the viewing aspect to 4:3 - square pixels, that's another reason why I'm confused - I don't want to spend $50 on the full version if it doesn't get the aspect ratio correct.

I'm still trying to find another app that will convert the files, but no luck yet!

If I'm still stuck tomorrow, I might open another forum post for help.

Paige :-)
mvb wrote on 2/22/2011, 9:01 AM
The square aspect ratio is due to the fact that vegas does not read the pixel aspect ratio properties in quicktime. The codec does not have control over that. The aspect ratio can be fixed by either changing the aperture and frame size settings to 1280 x 720 in QT Pro properties window and saving the file, or by setting the clip pixel aspect ratio property in Vegas manually, or by using a script to change all the files together. Contact DVFilm support for details.
paige wrote on 2/22/2011, 3:43 PM
Thanks mvb

I downloaded a number of free codec packs and conversion apps, then decided to purchase Raylight Decoder and it was the only product that worked.

I did as you suggested and manually changed the properties of the file in the timeline to match the PAR of the clips to 1.333

All's good now! I know this post wasn't orignally about DVCpro HD, but hopefully if someone searches this forum regarding this file type, they will just purchase Raylight Decoder and not waste all the time I did trying to find a free solution!

Now I need to render a portion and upload to youtube - I know there are many posts regarding this, which have made me quite confused! But I'm going to render from Vegas as sony avc mp4 file, the only thing I might test is that the original files have a DAR of 960 x720, but youtube recommends 1280 x720 for HD - so I'm going to try an output file for youtube of 1280x720 square pixels and see how it looks!

Thanks again
Paige