Comments

wcoxe1 wrote on 2/22/2003, 3:47 PM
Ah, Billyboy, I do so LOVE your fine tutorials. Thanks.
bjtap wrote on 2/22/2003, 5:04 PM
Billyboy,
Thanks in advance from a user who doesn't even own VV4 yet. (On order.)
Barry
BillyBoy wrote on 2/22/2003, 8:11 PM
Quick question...

Anyone using a screen resolution lower than 1024x768 or a different web browser than Microsoft's Explorer?

Reason I asked I have my screen resolution set at 1280x1024 and I check how the tutorials look at that and at 1024x768 but don't bother checking any lower than that and I gave up on all other browsers, so just wondering if I need to modify the web pages any if they really look ugly at lower resolutions or on different browsers. Anyone?
Paul_Holmes wrote on 2/22/2003, 8:29 PM
looks like you're using CSS1 which is pretty much a standard and some javascript so other than Netscape 4.7 (who cares, right) I bet it looks great in most peoples browsers. I tried it in the latest versions of Netscape and Opera. My default browser is IE.
BillyBoy wrote on 2/22/2003, 8:38 PM
Hi Paul... I used to like Netscape's browser over Microsoft's then they kind of folded their tent and wasn't it a couple years back they has some big open license standard project where everybody and their uncle were tweaking the code and it was suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread and well did it ever happen? To be honest I haven't looked a Opera or Netscape or any browser for a long time.
Paul_Holmes wrote on 2/22/2003, 11:53 PM
Well, I can see you know your stuff, though. I recently designed some family websites in IE and would then test them in Netscape and Opera and kept finding they were "broke." Opera advertises that if you build it to work in Opera it will work in IE and Netscape. Well, believe it or not, they're right. I use IE pretty exclusively but if I'm using CSS1 I'll design it, go right to Opera, see if it works and know it then works in the others. I don't have anything against Netscape, but lets face it, right or wrong, IE owns the game.
TorS wrote on 2/23/2003, 4:26 AM
Hi BillyBoy,
And thanks for putting all those tuts up.
On the PC I use for internet the screen resolution is 800x600, 16 bit colour. (I have a very old Matrox Millenium and a 15" Trinitron.) I use the latest Opera (7.1) which I pay for gladly (just to annoy you).
Given the restrictions in my settings, your tuts look good. Occasionally I have to scroll sideways (to see all of the three side by side pictures in tut no 10). Apart from that it's all plain sailing.
By the way, you can always check your pages at W3 MarkUp Validation Service. It will tell you if your code is standards compliant (but not, alas, how it looks on various screen settings). However, your main page, it turns out, have a fatal error ... check it out.

Tor
wcoxe1 wrote on 2/23/2003, 9:22 AM
BillyBoy, since you seem to be asking what otheres are using, I use 800 x 600 on one old (home) machine, but 1024 x 768 on my editing machine. I also use Netscape 7.1, mainly to avoid all those popups and popunder ads that I get when I am occasionally forced to use MS Internet Exploder.
craftech wrote on 2/23/2003, 9:26 AM
No problem here at 800x600x16bit using IE 5.5 I also use Netscape 4.8, but not for the Sonic Foundry forum or any links on the forums. I did try going to your pages using Netscape 4.8 and the pages displayed fine. The only problem (as is often the case)is that the right side will be missing some of the text if you print it. The default page layout for Netscape Navigator differs from IE so margin adjustments often need to be made to compensate. When this is the case, I usually just copy and paste the URL into IE and then print it from there.
The answer to your question though is that Netscape Navigator will display your web pages just fine.

PS: For those of you wondering why I use Netscape Navigator at all, it is because it has always had a much higher level of data security than IE. (Think about all the IE updates and the nature of them. 90% of them are to patch vulnerabilities). I order online a lot and only use IE if the website I am ordering from won't work at all with Netscape (there are actually quite a few of them which won't).

John
vitamin_D wrote on 2/23/2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks again! Looking forward to #11.

- jim
BillyBoy wrote on 2/23/2003, 2:28 PM
Tutorial #11 now up. Really just a mini-tutorial to finsh up adjusting the skin tones shirt and backgroud in the previous tutorial.