Tweaks for drop-free captures

Steve Grisetti wrote on 2/5/2004, 10:04 AM
Because I'm seeing post by so many new folks, still struggling to get captures and outputs that don't drop frames or stutter, here's my list of tweaks, clean-ups and hints that should lead to trouble-free DV input/output.

Hope it helps. And please feel free to add to it:)

1) Have a second hard drive, dedicated to video. This keeps data from log-jamming during intensive captures and outputs. And make sure DMA is enabled. (These are getting more inexpensive every week, and most computers already have the necessary mountings and cabling installed.)

2) Windows XP needs at least 250 meg of RAM to run well. 500 meg is an even better load for intensive things like video. Older versions of Windows can get by with less, but it's still a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

3) Windows XP tweaks: Turn off Indexing by right-clicking all hard drives and choosing Properties. Turn off all Scheduled Tasks in your Control Panel. There are many other "power tweaks" out there, but these are the most effective.

4) Networking: Disable your network devices and cable modem or DSL connection in your Device Manager while inputting and outputting. You can re-enable them later and they'll keep all your setttings without a need to re-boot. Otherwise, they tend to send or receive data or "ping" your network, interrupting your very intense data flow.

5) Use EndItAll (a free download) to end all unnecessary background programs or, at the very least, disable your virus software.

6) Finally, keep your computer clean of unwanted applets and other tiny programs by running Spybot S&D (another free download) to get rid of spyware and RegCleaner (also free) to get rid of outdated registry links. You'll be amazed how many of these have crept into your computer!

And, of course, always defrag before inputting or outputting a project -- although, if your second hard drive is dedicated to video, it won't fragment much!

Hope that helps. These fixes have certainly taken the headache out of inputting and outputting for me!

Comments

JReed wrote on 2/6/2004, 3:51 AM
Thanks for taking the time to pass on the advice...it's what makes this forum a great place. J.Reed
cbrillow wrote on 2/6/2004, 7:39 AM
One thing they have on the Pinnacle forum is a "Best of Board" collection of posts such as this. This is great general-purpose information that can benefit all newcomers to digital video editing, and I also offer thanks for your effort.