Uncompressed Template Help

goshep wrote on 2/22/2011, 8:34 PM
Hi all,

I've started going outside of Vegas for some of my workflow so this is new to me. Or possibly I've been doing it all along and not noticed because I've always stayed within Vegas.

I'm doing my simple edits in Vegas because Vegas is what makes them simple. The problem is rendering them to an uncompressed or at least lossless format. I've tried the Uncompressed template but it seems to balloon the file size by at least 300%.

Should I be using an intermediate? It's all HD video going out to Adobe. Does anyone here use a similar workflow? Suggestions? I'm feeling like a bit of a buffoon right now.

Thanks as always,
Shep

Comments

rrrrob wrote on 2/22/2011, 8:52 PM
Is it possible you are rendering the video to a higher resolution or higher bitrate than your source video?
musicvid10 wrote on 2/22/2011, 9:01 PM
It's all HD video going out to Adobe.

What kind of HD video?
What version of Vegas?
There are several visually lossless intermediate codecs that will compress your video to smaller than uncompressed size.
goshep wrote on 2/22/2011, 10:30 PM
I ought to know by now to include more info...sorry.

It's 720p. The raw video is AVCHD captured straight from a JVC GYHD110U.
Vegas version is 8c.

Which intermediate do you recommend to play nicely with After effects? CS5 seems to now ingest what Vegas has done for years.

Thanks again.

Chienworks wrote on 2/23/2011, 4:05 AM
You do realize that "uncompressed" means, well, not compressed, right? Compression is what keeps file sizes small, and without it files are going to be huge. This is normal and expected behavior.
goshep wrote on 2/23/2011, 9:19 PM
I've been meaning to mention this forum has lost a bit of shine. Perhaps now is as good a time as any. Thanks anyway for the help in the past. Perhaps I'm overreacting but I'd as soon stumble through a book than to run afoul of people whom I've looked up to for the last seven years.

Best wishes
musicvid10 wrote on 2/23/2011, 9:35 PM
"I've been meaning to mention this forum has lost a bit of shine."

How so?

So you've got AVCHD 720p. Not knowing exactly what AE will accept, reasonable intermediates to consider would be Cineform, DNxHD, and Helix I420 (a recently rediscovered friend). I would avoid MXF because of transcoding issues. Uncompressed, Huffyuv, Lagarith, and Sony YUV would produce significantly larger file sizes, and possibly longer rendering times.

Your other question is about math. If you multiply the
pixel width X pixel height X number of channels X bit depth X frame rate X time in seconds,
you will get the uncompressed file size. Hope I didn't leave anything out ;?)
JohnnyRoy wrote on 2/24/2011, 6:57 AM
I would use CineForm as an intermediary. I go between Vegas and After Effects all the time with CineForm footage and haven't had any problems. I use NeoScene which is only $99USD from VideoGuys.com.

~jr