Unknown error during rendering

Nairou wrote on 1/27/2005, 10:28 AM
Hi all. I'm trying to render some video in preparation for burning to DVD, and I'm getting some strange problems at certain bitrates. It has me totally stumped, I'm hoping someone here has some ideas.

I'm rendering the video with the included MainConcept MPEG-2 codec, so that I can burn it later using DVDA. I have all of the quality settings as high as they go, and I initially rendered it at CBR 9.8 (this is an instructional video, little motion, so sharpness is a big issue). The video rendered perfectly in this case, and I was able to burn it. However, due to the bitrate, some bits of my DVD turned up missing, and I'm now trying to re-render at a lower bitrate.

Thats where the problem starts. I go to render the video again, changing no setting other than the bitrate, which I change to CBR 8.0, not a big difference. I start it rendering... and it quits about 15% into the render, with an "unknown error has occured" message. I have tried rendering it many times now, hoping it was just the computer acting up that once, but its doing the exact same thing every time. I tried CBR 9.8 again for the hell of it, it rendered fine. I then tried CBR 7.5, it ran a bit longer than the last one but again ends with that error.

Why would one bitrate succeed while others fail? What really is the difference? I have it currently attempting another render at VBR 7.5-8.5, so we'll see if that works, but I really wanted CBR. And the fact that the error message is totally unknown is what buggs me, like its an issue with my computer and not Vegas, but I haven't found any proof of this. Anyone have any ideas at all?

Comments

gordyboy wrote on 1/28/2005, 5:09 AM
Can't throw any light on your problem but I had a similar problem yesterday trying to render to MPG1 using the default template - it also stopped at about 16% with the "Unknown error during rendering" error message which is completely pointless as feedback goes.

A partial file is created which plays fine for the limited duration rendered.

I had to use another template to complete the task - I haven't had time to investigate what settings are causing the problem.

A more useful error message is sorely needed, I feel.

gordyboy
JJKizak wrote on 1/28/2005, 5:57 AM
If it happens at the same point every time try redoing that small portion of the clip. Sometimes the rendering engine doesn't like something and stops. This would happen on very complex portions of the clip like "3d stuff mixed with pan/crop zooms and track motion. Otherwise you might be running into what I call "memory choke". I just invented this term to I.D. running out of memory.

JJK