Upgrade Conundrum

jpenn wrote on 4/23/2009, 8:38 AM

I haven’t upgraded to V8Pro yet, (Still using 7). I was wondering if this would work.

If I do the upgrade to 8 here;

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523371-REG/Sony_SVDVD8006_Upgrade_to_Vegas_Pro.html

Would I still get the free upgrade to 9 by purchasing within a month of the new versions début?

I don’t know, to me it sounds kind of illegal.

Or is the free upgrade only for a new full version of V8Pro?

John

Comments

fuddam wrote on 4/23/2009, 8:51 AM
no need for v8. go straight from v7 to v9
busterkeaton wrote on 4/23/2009, 9:47 AM
Fud,

Check the price on the B&H upgrade.

The Sony upgrade does include a choice of bonus software (at least for the pre-order.) You'll have to judge if that's worth it to you
blink3times wrote on 4/23/2009, 10:55 AM
I would be careful of that B&H deal. You will note how it says "DVD Architect 4".

In the past some of these "great" B&H deals did NOT include things like dvd architect PRO which makes a big difference.

I would give them a call and see if that's actually DVDa PRO that's included or just the studio version. i would also ask why they're bundling such an old version of DVDa in the first place... and if it's even upgradeable to dvda5.

Look at it this way... if the price is too good to be true... then there is almost always a reason for it.
richard-amirault wrote on 4/23/2009, 1:43 PM
Hmmm .. read that page again .. there is no Vegas upgrade on B&H that I can find EXCEPT to Pro 8.

They have the full Pro 9 on pre-order, but not the upgrade to Pro 9
hoodoo wrote on 4/24/2009, 8:24 AM
The link in the OP is to an v8 Pro upgrade. I have the Movie Studio version, will this upgrade work for me?
bStro wrote on 4/24/2009, 10:56 AM
No.

The B&H deal requires that you have, if I recall correctly, Vegas 7 (the pro version) or newer installed.

Rob
decaffery wrote on 4/24/2009, 12:24 PM
bstro is correct- this particular upgrade from BH is from Vegas 6 or 7 to 8 Pro. My guess is that it's cheaper than the upgrade offered here because the SCS online upgrade is good for owners all the way back to version 1.

What's misleading is that BH doesn't state this on the page, but it says it on the red sticker (which is hard to read in the photo). I owned 7 so it worked for me.

I know because I bought this upgrade 4 months ago, and I am looking right at the box as I write this. So if you own V1-V5 this upgrade to 8 would not work. I paid $160, but now that V9 is coming, its priced to move. I'm sure after 5/11 it will be discontinued.