Upgrade to 12? A warning to 32-bit users.

JohnAsh wrote on 10/26/2012, 6:28 AM
I started a project yesterday on my trusty PC running Windows 7 32-bit. I could upgrade to Vegas Pro 12 for a special price. But be quick! Offer about to end.

Of course I'm a mug for offers so I ordered it online and forked out the appropriate amount on my credit card.

I go to download it today and find there is only a 64-bit version available. So, what do I do now? It was Vegas Pro (32-bit) that told me an upgrade was available but at no stage was I told what I paid for was useless unless I upgrade my PC to Windows-64 which I really don't want the hassle of doing at the momen!

Tried calling Sony but, it being 1.30pm in here Spain, Sony Customer Service is closed "at this time". Grrrrr!

Comments

_Lenny_ wrote on 10/26/2012, 6:35 AM
I did know it was 64-bit only, but I though I would check the Vegas product page to see what it said... I had to scroll half way down to find a reference to it being 64-bit:

Designed for performance

64-bit operating systems are the best choice for high-end performance. By focusing exclusively on 64-bit operating systems like Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit, Vegas Pro 12 overcomes many of the limitations of legacy 32-bit software/hardware architecture, enabling users to enjoy superior performance and improved stability for memory-intensive projects and formats.

And then right at the bottom are the system requirements:
Microsoft® Windows Vista® 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 64-bit

I agree that this focus on 64-bit only should be make clear at the top of the page.
Tim20 wrote on 10/26/2012, 7:07 AM
There was a sticky at the top of this forum since summer that Vegas was going 64 bit only. It has been discussed here many many many times. The specs listed right next to the "buy now" button show in the first line that it requires 64 bit.

I'm sorry you missed the info, but contact Sony and say you made a mistake maybe they will give you a refund.
Laurence wrote on 10/26/2012, 8:42 AM
I just wanted to make sure that you realize that you can just download the iso image of 64bit Windows XP and use your same Windows XP registration number if you want to move up to Windows XP 64.
Chienworks wrote on 10/26/2012, 9:25 AM
Laurence, that only works if you've got a 64 bit CPU. Lots of us don't.

On top of that, Vegas 11/12 won't run under Windows XP.
JohnAsh wrote on 10/26/2012, 10:23 AM
Well, I called the US Customer Service number and got through fairly swiftly. My order has been cancelled and my credit card will not be charged.

Thanks for the, mainly, positive feedback on here. I have to say I do not frequent this forum that frequently so any sticker on here since Summer will have passed me by. However, I do think that Sony, being aware I am using the 32-bit version should not be hard-selling me a 64-bit version without more warnings!

All's well that ends well and it may now prompt me to upgrade to Windows 64-bit, but isn't that a lot of hassle? That's a sort-of rhetorical question, by the way.
rmack350 wrote on 10/26/2012, 12:32 PM
The more important point is that Vegas 11/12 won't run on XP. However, the OP is running Windows 7.

If the OP bought Windows 7 on a disk then I think it came with both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If it was an OEM install on a computer product then I guess you get what you ordered.

Kelly, I'm having a hard time finding CPUs after summer of 2006 that aren't 64-bit capable. Yes, it's something to look out for, but the risk seems pretty low, especially if one has managed to install Win7 of any sort at all.

Rob
Chienworks wrote on 10/26/2012, 12:37 PM
Rob, i was responding to Laurence's comment about downloading and installing XP64.

That said, i have several good, beefy PCs doing all my work already, all more than capable of handling all my needs, no need to replace them, and all of them have 32 bit processors. So far, Vegas 12 is the only program i've come across that i might consider using that won't run on my hardware.

Yeah, it'll run on my laptop, but what's the point of running a version there that can't share projects with my workhorses?
rmack350 wrote on 10/26/2012, 4:39 PM
No, you can't run new versions of Vegas on Windows XP

Yep, it looks like the Core Duo was 32-bit. The Core 2 Duo was 64-bit (It's what I'm using at work with Win7-64).

My point about CPUs is that non-64-bit CPUs are pretty long in the tooth and you'd *think* they'd be rare in a video edit station in 2012. On the other hand, a lot of businesses will keep a PC in service until it's just impossible to use. The person using it isn't the person who could replace it, and when you have multiple machines that all need to be replaced at the same time then the cost can cause a company to defer upgrades. and I've worked with plenty of people who would just never ask for an upgrade.

So, at this point I think it's just getting hard to support a protest that people don't have 64-bit hardware in their edit systems. That implies systems over 6 years old, running an OS that Microsoft is sunsetting. Time to turn these into Linux mail servers.

Setting that aside, the warning to upgraders is important. SCS needs to make it very very clear that there is NO 32-bit version of Vegas 12. If it was some other company, I'd suggest that they also keep selling the last 32-bit version of Vegas, but since this is SCS...just give up on that. They can't even support current versions.

Eventually, you just have to bite the bullet and upgrade.

Rob
VidMus wrote on 10/26/2012, 4:58 PM
rmack350 said, "SCS needs to make it very very clear that there is NO 32-bit version of Vegas 12."

SCS already has!

Enerjex wrote on 10/26/2012, 7:39 PM
I agree with making it obvious, however I highly recommend that people always read the minimum system requirements, especially if that person isn't running the latest technology. (ie 32bit Windows). It's important to remember this is the pro edition, so it will be faster to phase out older technology support.
musicvid10 wrote on 10/26/2012, 8:29 PM
Rule # 1: Check System Requirements first.
Rule # 2: When in doubt, refer to rule # 1.
teaktart wrote on 10/27/2012, 12:00 AM
The economy of the past several years has kept me playing with my now 'older' equipment, tape based HDV, XP, on a 6 yr old quad core.

Bits and pieces of the CPU have been starting to fail, and thankfully my 'day job' has revived itself and I can think of building a new computer for V12 and for when I have to move on from HDV to AVCHD cams.

I've been putting together my 'wish list' for a new editing machine and I'm wondering which factors would be best in working with V12 when it comes to graffics cards:

Nvidia GTX 560 w/ 1GB - 256 bit @ $170 each or
Nvidia GTX 650 w/ 2 GB -128 bit @ $135 each
(Newegg)

The pricing isn't my main concern but whether the 1 or 2 GB makes a big difference in performance, or the bit rate values. What would you suggest is best for V12 without 3rd party extras ? I do pretty simple projects without a lot of effects, and don't have a clue about gaming~

Thanks for your suggestions!
eileen

p.s. Already bought V12 and then saw the 64-bit requirement!
So went ahead and ordered W7-64 for the new build, guess I'm on my way into the 'new' again~
rmack350 wrote on 10/27/2012, 12:55 AM
This will be heresy but if vegas is your only consideration I'd say skip the gfx card and just use onboard graphics. This may actually be more stable.

I don't really expect you to do that though.

Rob
_Lenny_ wrote on 10/27/2012, 4:02 AM
tape based HDV

Still using that myself with a Canon HV20 and Sony FX1. Both very reliable and excellent Quality. Easy for Vegas to work with, and meets all my needs. Most importantly, the tape give me an instant backup of all my footage.

My system can cope effortlessly with AVCHD, too, but I see no point in changing my cameras when they both fully functional. I'd LIKE to buy new ones, with interchangeable lenses, but don't NEED to.

skip the gfx card and just use onboard graphics.

I have found VP12 to be very stable and speedy with the Ivy Bridge HD4000 graphics. Better than when using my GeForce 460. So I have now removed the graphics card, and I'm using HD4000 exclusively.

ushere wrote on 10/27/2012, 5:04 AM
agree entirely re hdv. (using z5)

i got a cf1 card recorder for it, but still shoot tape (even though i haven't needed to resort to one in years, it's nice to know i have instant, reliable archiving).

i suppose there's maybe 'much' better contemporary cameras around now, but in all honesty, when my clients main distribution is either inter/intra net, or plain old dvd, all that extra 'quality' is pretty much moot. anyway, as long as a. my clients demand tape, and b. national broadcaster happily take it, i see no reason to move on.
VidMus wrote on 10/27/2012, 9:33 AM
"...it's nice to know i have instant, reliable archiving"

I have a lot of reliable archiving tapes laying around but nothing to play them with. So much for reliable archiving! :(
Colin Basterfield wrote on 10/28/2012, 9:15 PM
Hi John,

I saw this special offer as well, and put in a question to the presales team as I am currently using Movie Studio Platinum, and wanted to clone myself. It's far easier in Pro using the mask option, so almost did what you did, UPGRADE! :-) I only have Windows 7 32 bit at the moment.

As I'm waiting an official answer from the presales team, I wondered in the meantime
1. Which version of Vegas Pro do you have that does run on 32 bit?
2. Do you know if people can still buy previous versions?

Many thanks
Colin
teaktart wrote on 10/29/2012, 12:07 PM
"skip the gfx card and just use onboard graphics."

I'm confused ... I need the cards to hook up my monitors?
How do you use onboard graphics?
I thought to work with V12 there were the minimum requirements if there was a chance to use the GPU acceleration even though it sounds like its not working for many users.

I do like the sound of the word 'cheap' but if performance would improve by spending a bit more, I'm willing to give it a try.

Hey, so interesting to hear others are still using our perfectly good HDV cams! Having had 3 drive failures in the past year it is good to know I can recapture my footage from those same tapes and all thats lost is my time....
teaktart wrote on 10/29/2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Rob,
I don't mind the word heresy or heretic!
Much easier to live with than 'fundamentalist' --- not fun or mental in most cases~
_Lenny_ wrote on 10/29/2012, 12:18 PM
How do you use onboard graphics?

First, there is a setting in the BIOS to turn the graphics on or off. Once on, the power of Intel's HD4000 integrated graphics can be used.

Note, though, that some system memory will be consumed. My system is set to use the maximum of 1GB (but as I have 16GB RAM, it's not an issue).

Second, Vegas 12 recognises HD4000, and will happily use it as if it were a separate GPU.

However, forget about using New Blue Titler - that doesn't recognise HD4000 and will not work. Not a great loss, TBH.